Common searches

Interesting Steam releases of games?

Topic actions

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I found that you can get specific versions of games on steam...

Steam auto patches you games, and in some cases that patches came with bugs/glitches that you don't want or change the assets of your game. Even in some cases, they delete contents from your game (or you uninstall your game and after reinstalling discover that some content has dissapeared). Some examples:

Deep Space Waifu
This game got (at least) four releases, I'll call them "sd", "hd", "patched" and "reverted".

The first release was "sd", but after a while they upgraded it to a "hd" release with remade girls and had a "retro" mode that included "sd" girls. When Steam announced that it would censor games, the developer felt that some models felt underaged so it launched a "patched" release with new artwork (increasing breast size and putting some pubic hair in some girls) to avoid his game got delisted. Also, they removed retro mode. After a while, they launched a "reverted" release that changed again to "hd" but didn't restore retro mode.

So, if you want retro mode and old style girls or wallpapers you need to download a earlier (something about April 2008 would do the trick). To download "patched" release, you'll need to search for 1st week from June 2018.

Deep Space Waifu: Flat Justice
Another game with three releases... "gold", "patched" and "reverted".

Again, "gold" was the first release from Steam, and "patched" is a patched release made to circumvent the censor threat of Steam. But when Steam said it wouldn't censor any game, they launched a "reverted" release that got the old style artwork (and again, it lost the wallpapers).

So, if you want to get the "gold" version, you'll need one from April 2018, and to get "patched relese you'll want a release from 8 June 2018.

Hitman (maybe its elusive targets?)
I do not own this game, so I don't have tried this. The game have some time limited events called elusive targets. In this events, a new target appears at some map and you've got only a weekend to finish it before it gets removed from the game. I wonder if they can be replayed via depots (and maybe changing dates on your computer)...

List of elusive targets, with dates.

Grand Theft Auto (3, Vice City, San Andreas, IV?)
I've got this games, but I don't know what games are affected. Rockstar licensed music from various people for this games, but they only did for a limited time (it has happened to other developers and games).

So, at some time they lost the rights to use that music and released new versions that didn't feature all the songs from previous versions. I don't know if they removed songs from already installed games, but surely new installations won't have that music. Some examples:

- GTA Vice City was removed from Steam because of music on November 2017, I guess later versions were "fixed".
- GTA IV cut some music on April 2018. Be careful, as GTA IV was patched on November 2016 to get rid of Game with Windows Live.

Some music games:
I remember having read about some guitar game (Guitar Hero, Rock Band or Rocksmith) lose music licensing and removed DLCs... but I thought that the game was only for consoles and forgot about it.

Online games:
Do you want to play pre-cataclism Azeroth? Sorry, you're out of luck because:
a) World of Warcraft is not a Steam game.
b) Online games needs every player having the same version. So, if you have an unpatched version you won't connect with your friends.

In some games (that don't rely on dedicated servers) maybe they can connect if the difference is only about content (levels/music) and the executable version is the same but, as a rule of the thumb, unpatched versions can not play online.

A shady thought... (feel free to edit/delete this part)
Although it seemed that Steam could download any depot, it can only download depots known to the user. That includes free games and bought games, but not listed but unbought games. So unbought delisted games (like Stalin vs Martians, a bad game with a funny trailer) are lost for anyone that didn't bought them.

What specific releases do you consider interesting or would like to play rather than/besides the current, patched, modern version (i.e.: someone would want to run the bug-ridden first relese of Skyrim)?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-11-25, 22:09. Edited 5 times in total.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, this only goes back a few years though since that's when they released this feature. For those earlier versions you'll have to hope there is an unaltered version on the Internets.

I've started to go back through all of my CD images, extracting, installing the original version and the NOCD and the latested patched version with the NOCD.
There are a few cases where I'll need to retrieve an older ver of a Steam release but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 21, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(Content moved to the first post)

Last edited by Zup on 2018-10-26, 06:12. Edited 3 times in total.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could probably make a long list out of the 'hentai' games on Steam that have to adjust for not being a properly reguladed american adult novelty storefront, but that wouldn't be "interesting"...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 21, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, but I found the story about the censor and de-censor of this games and found it fascinating.

I've edited previous post to list some information about Grand Theft Auto franchise, but I'm afraid that is hard to find information about those changes. Also, I've included a link to a list of elusive targets from Hitman (but I do not own the game... can anyone verify if they can be played?).

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 21, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GTA IV and EFLC never had GFWL removed, just updated along with having some tracks removed / replaced due to the Russian radio station having literally every track removed minus one. The best one would be the one when GFWL was updated along with the tracks not being removed. The downgraded version with different music works fine online with players that have the cut version.

SA and VC has tracks removed, but VC cannot be downgraded through Steam as there are 2 versions of it, one with cut tracks and one without. SA can be downgraded through Steam fine.

Reply 6 of 21, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (lol... I know, I know) has a beta branch with GFWL removed/disabled whatever. I usually subscribe to it, I think its required to have it working I don't remember what it was supposed to have fixed.

I'm kind of done with Steam - issues like this aside. The older I get, the more protective of my privacy and property rights I have become. If I absolutely can't get it directly from the company making it, or from GOG, only then will I consider buying a game on Steam now. I also don't like the idea of one company having the ability to wipe out thousands of dollars of investment if they decide I can't even login to their service or access my library anymore.

Reply 7 of 21, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, in this case the advantages of steam are:
- They have old versions going back to about 2014. Other online services only let you download the latest version.
- You get clean versions of the software. I mean, it's very difficult that the software you download has a virus on it (but at least one game included crypto-mining routines).

All we know the disadvantages, like having your game tied to Steam platform (until you crack it) so you share your gaming habits with them.

Plants vs Zombies
When it was released, the dancing zombie could summon a crew of dancers than did the "Thriller" choreography. In 2010, the game was patched and the dance was changed. Unfortunately, steam depots go back to about 2014, so the unpatched Michael Jackson version can not be recovered this way.

Ace of Spades
There are people that says that betas were way better than the released game. The game is (was? It can't be bought now and nobody plays it) real crap, so anything may be a improvement. Anyway, the game was launched on 2012 so Steam don't have such old builds.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Guess Turok qualifies, teleguy verified this: Getting GOG Turok working with WinXP SP2

Reply 10 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For GTA IV just export the older ver out of the depot and use the crack. Works fine. Haven't checked the other games yet.
/EDIT Download older versions of Steam games How to download older versions of a game on Steam

Reply 15 of 21, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mafia 1 on Steam is a bit odd now. I owned it on Steam before it was removed. It was less than 2gb big and on launch had a "play game" and "change settings" option.

It was removed from Steam for, as usual, music copyright problems (let's just gloss over the fact that all the music was older than the 50 year copyright claimy period thing). I could still play my steam release just fine.

It reappears on Steam after getting re-released without music, or with replacement music, or something. It's now 5.5GB!? I get an option to "Play Game (2002)" "Change Options (2002)" "Play Game" "Change Options". There isn't any differnce between the two, including music... Steam, you haven't downloaded the entire game twice have you?

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 16 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some big publishers' interns clumsily package their old games. Steam's Red Faction also contains the original 2001 two disc contents (with screwed timestamps of course) in addition to the installed patched-up version bumping it up a good 1.2gb for example. Maybe there's a legit use for the provided CD directories like installing on a old PC, but there's nothing helping the CD protection checks with that.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 21, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Future Proof is a cheap RPG maker game, that may or may not like you.

This game is interesting because it has lots of hand drawn fonts included (path ...\steamapps\common\Future Proof\www\fonts) that may be used directly on windows (ttf/otf/woff files). Just remember that the fonts were licenced to the game developer so be careful not to use it commercially.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 18 of 21, by armani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

there's a lot of interesting Steam games now that there's little to no regulation on what a game dev or a "game dev" can release

but relating to the main gist of this forum, there are interesting older games like Redline, Shogo, Blood II, etc. that Steam just has out to purchase, but you have to bust your ass troubleshooting them which is the funniest part, they give not a single crap about fixing the games up for the buyers to run on newer hardware.

Not to mention all the times that Duke Nukem 3D was released on Steam. I have like three Steam versions of Duke Nukem 3D. It's not even funny anymore

Reply 19 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can blame the lazy publishers (Infogrames, Titus) for not fixing their SKUs on those (which either way, usually source community fixes and/or cracks silently, then taken for granted like they've made an updated fixed version exclusively on a digital store)

apsosig.png
long live PCem