VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just migrated to W10 a few days ago and very pleased with the system''s ability to run older games with less issue than W7. One of the few hicups has been the loss of MagicDisc which doesn't seem to run under W10. MD was an awesome little utility; easily setup virtual drives and make images all in one slim package, and free. What are people using these days?

Currently I'm using DaemonTools Lite to setup virtual drives and mount/unmount images, but DT doesn't appear to make images in it's free unregistered mode.

Reply 1 of 8, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You don't need daemon tools (or anything else for that matter) to mount ISO images in windows 10 as that feature is built into the OS. Just double click the ISO and it mounts itself, showing up in windows explorer as a normal optical drive. Unless something gets in the way (file association for example) then just right click and tell it to open in Windows Explorer.

For ISO creation I just use Imageburn which is free and lightweight. Work fine in Windows 10, so far.

Reply 2 of 8, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can continue to use MagicDisc on Windows 10, just save a copy of it somewhere and install the driver manually. It still works. You need to repeat it every time a major Windows update is taking place though as Windows Update will get rid of it.

I think Windows 10 only supports ISO image. MagicDisc can work with lots more formats, such as CCD,CUE,NRG etc. for mixed-mode CD. Yeah, I still continue to use MagicDisc and didn't find anything better as its replacement.

Reply 4 of 8, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote:

....Yeah, I still continue to use MagicDisc and didn't find anything better as its replacement.

Yes, MagicDisc is a really handly tool in that it works with and creates lots of image types. While iso is the norm, bin/cue is essential, and uif and others have their place in the menagerie.

I like the drive specification options that come with MD and DT for that matter. Just need to find an easy tool to produce images on the fly like MD. I may take a shot at running in W10 but my new credo for this build is 'less fuss the better'. I'm skipping overclocking and mobo/ram tweaks, SLI/CF and elaborate utilities. At least W10 is proving to be a damn nice verson of Windows.

Let's see I've been: DOS 6.22 (I think),W95,W98SE, (skip ME & 2000), XP, (skip Vista), W7, (skip W8), W10...

Reply 5 of 8, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gca wrote:

....For ISO creation I just use Imageburn which is free and lightweight. Work fine in Windows 10, so far.

I just gave ImgBurn a whirl - nice... works fine but not quite as fast and nifty as MagicDisc's routine. Thanks for the heads up...

Guess I'm set now, well except for a Plex Media Server replacement ... Emby looks like the deal but I can't get my Roku TV to conect to the Emby server...

Reply 6 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While ISO Recorder only does ISOs it works as a shell extension. Just right click on the drive in Explorer and choose "Create Image from CD/DVD". Really fast and easy. Perhaps not as the only imaging solution, but nice in addition to other more comprehensive packages.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 8, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

W10 plays very much nicer with older games of the early DX era than W7 did - as much as I loved W7. Coupled with the various D3D/DX wrappers floating around I'm getting really good looking results on games that have been shaky runners for quite some time - probably looking better than they ever did. TOCA 1 now running in awesome D3D mode at 1920x1200 - looking pretty amazing for the old gal. And EAW running awesome for me on a modern rig at last.

What may also be helping is this build is a departure from my previous AMD/Radeon setups of the last 10 years. This time I went' trailing edge' Intel/Nvidia - not shabby: i5/8400 with a GTX 1060/6gb (the cute one with 1 fan), and a basic but solid Asrock H370 Pro4 mATX board. The performance a nice pop over the FX8350 (even @ 4.8 OC) and Radeon 7870... All part of the 5-10 year plan...