http://dereksmart.com/2018/10/bc3k-is-22/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

God damn, Derek Smart has all the hallmarks of a narcissist. He's still living within his own fantasy where he and BC3k are some kind of benchmark in gaming,

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh wow.. I didn't even realize that there were newer iterations of the game. I actually have a boxed copy of BC3k.. box is in kinda sad shape though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, even Universal Combat was a re-warmed version of BC3k (he blew it on that one, too).

Reply 4 of 15, by David_OSU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember when this was being developed, and Derek was all over the Usenet forums getting into flame wars with everyone. I think if he spent all that time on his game instead of in the forums maybe he could have actually finished it.

Reply 5 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, he did finish it and finally put out a version that was actually ok (once it was patched enough), but it was far from the amazing, groundbreaking title he seemed to think it was.

Reply 6 of 15, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still remember the infamous ads for that game... https://twitter.com/dosnostalgic/status/758092597256654848

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 15, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Well, he did finish it and finally put out a version that was actually ok (once it was patched enough), but it was far from the amazing, groundbreaking title he seemed to think it was.

I remember reading that he fixed biggest bugs, but there were some unfixable things like a bad user interface (too much key shortcuts, unintuitive shortcuts, no help, those things). Did someone played it? Would have it been a better game with better UI?

gdjacobs wrote:

Well, at least he got the game published. He got further than most amateur programmers.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 15, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Writing games takes an immense amount of effort, so my hat's off to the guy regardless.

Also, a high number of bugs in open-ended games is the norm, expect nothing less (except of your own projects, maybe).

Reply 9 of 15, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basically he seemed to hype up the game due to its technical merit, but game design was lacking. Just because a game has amazingly advanced tech behind it doesn't mean it's automatically going to be fun to play. That game was not that fun to play. It seemed rather mediocre to me.

Reply 10 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering his proclivity for self promotion, I attach a fair amount of credibility to allegations that the technical achievements in the game were overstated.

Reply 11 of 15, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Considering his proclivity for self promotion, I attach a fair amount of credibility to allegations that the technical achievements in the game were overstated.

Well, it seems the game had a machine learning system in it. If true, then there's no overstatement here.

Reply 13 of 15, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've come to understand that the only thing between you and implementing even deep learning in the 90s was computing power rather than core algorithmic lack. So I don't immediately see how the guy couldn't have crunched a basic net in his basement for x months to get a simple model of some detail of behavior that's light to deploy and so he can put a sticker on the box. Unlikely to be an expansive model if one at all, but colin mcrae rally 2 was said to have neural net ai just a couple years later, as well.

Reply 14 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's no longer about the plausibility or even possibility of his claims. I'm going to take any statements from DS with a salt lick (or indifference) until he begins to act more transparently in a way consistent with wanting to actually earn the trust of the wider world.

Reply 15 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember he registered at hardlight.net (sort of the unoficial home of Descent Freespace)
saying the rights for freespace are up for sale, should he buy them and make a sequel?
The reply he got was a resounding "NO" - he did not like that 😁

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness