VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're going to build, do it sooner than later according to this article. Of course this only applies to you if you live in the U.S.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/364870/why-pc-buil … -components-now

Last edited by liqmat on 2018-11-10, 15:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder what exactly these "tariffs" hope to accomplish. We can't simply just, get the same components from Taiwan or Japan at a reasonable price now can we?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

I wonder what exactly these "tariffs" hope to accomplish. We can't simply just, get the same components from Taiwan or Japan at a reasonable price now can we?

The tariffs are to put pressure on countries that charge tariffs for imports for products from the USA.

The plan is to get those countries to adopt real free trade (no tariffs on either side) agreement.

It has already started working with other countries.

And in case you didn't know, China is still under a super-heavily subsidized shipping agreement with the US postal service. How else do you think you can order all kinds of stuff from China with free shipping?

So not only are they charging for imports from the USA, we in the USA are also losing money delivering products that are shipped to us.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 4, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

China is trying to copy the development path followed by Japan/Taiwan/S. Korea. However while the U.S. was willing to turn a blind eye to unequal trading relationships with these small countries, China is too big to ignore.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 4, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
The tariffs are to put pressure on countries that charge tariffs for imports for products from the USA. […]
Show full quote
DracoNihil wrote:

The tariffs are to put pressure on countries that charge tariffs for imports for products from the USA.

The plan is to get those countries to adopt real free trade (no tariffs on either side) agreement.

It has already started working with other countries.

And in case you didn't know, China is still under a super-heavily subsidized shipping agreement with the US postal service. How else do you think you can order all kinds of stuff from China with free shipping?

So not only are they charging for imports from the USA, we in the USA are also losing money delivering products that are shipped to us.

^ This
Even though it sucks having to pay more, it is kind of a reality check...I mean, it is crazy that I can order parts from China through eBay for $1 with free shipping...I think it's great, but it is too good to be true and will one day inevitably change.

I for one would of course prefer to pay less and be able to get computer parts for cheap but if it does get too expensive, the great thing about where I live (and I'm sure it is similar in most other countries) is that there is such a huge surplus of used parts that I don't think I will even really need to buy anything new for a while (for my computing needs anyways).