VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Everyone! Did you not hear about what I heard online today?

There is going to be a PC Classic mini! That's right. Classic PC gaming has entered the mini retro console market. It's not a joke. It's legit. And it's made by a company called Unit-E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sjbrqR36w4

It's at a size where you can take it anywhere. Like to a school geek club, parties and conventions as well. And all of the games and software on this thing are all licenced and legal to play. And it's already preconfigured, and it already has joystick support. In the video they were showing off a prototype of the console. It allows you to play classic DOS games. According to the video. All of the games included are licenced and legal to own and use as well. The games are also preconfigured to work with the system and to work with the joystick, keyboard and mouse. With the keyboard and mouse it makes it more old school. And evey game is preconfigured to work with this peripherals. They are planning for the games included to come on SD cards. But, they are still working on some features. And there maybe some changes for the console on the way. The only features that it has right now that it comes with a joypad. And it plugs into one of those two USB ports on the front of it. Which you could also plug in a USB Mouse and Keyboard. And it also has a third one on the back of it for additional connections. But I wonderred if it'll have ability to use to connect a USB Disk drive that can be used a CD drive to play some games that were on CDs and that it can have multimedia capabilities where it can play the game's Redbook CD audio. And other stuff like adding more USB ports for other peripherals. Like a USB floppy disk. Or connecting a usb flash drive or a SSD with a usb to IDE connector to use as a additional hard disk. It also has HDMI, and composite video outputs. And it has bluetooth support to avoid having all these wires on your desk.

Oh and this PC console is being crowed funded. And it's hopefully going to be released in late spring or early summer of 2019. Oh and at the end of the video it showed him playing Quake II on there which was made for Windows 95.

But I wonder to myself. After seeing this video. I wonder if this PC classic mini will have the ability to load Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 on there. After all Windows is a part of PC. As so. I wonder if the DOS operating system is going to be built in? I mean every classic mini console should have a operating system built in. But for a Retro Mini console to do a piece of technology where you can put in a Microsoft GUI on a Disk operating system and upgrade it to a better OS. This could might work. And another thing. If they are going to make a Retro PC classic mini. Aren't they going to use the latest version of DOS? Like DOS 6.22? Oh, and I hope that this PC classic console has the latest pentium version like pentium IV. Or it can have the ability for you to configure what processor you want to choose. Remember at the end of the video he was playing Quake II on PC Mini console? It was a game on Windows 95. Which uses Directx. And the video quality on it is so smooth and look how fast the FPS on the screen is. So maybe this Retro PC mini classic will have Multimedia video capabilities. And hopfully the video hardware on this will be similar to a Geforce 2 or a Directx 8.0a video card. It could be that fast as it is in the video thanks to todays latest hardware that hopefully that the good guys at Unit-E will use the latest state of the art of today's technology to recreate a real classic PC experience.

But any thing what I hope to see may not come to expectations. But only time and the outcome will tell.

Reply 1 of 60, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it just me, or does this sound kinda dumb 🤣

These "Classic Mini" devices they put out try to appeal to nostalgia, and come in a form that, at least somewhat, resembles the original experience. So given that, what's the point of this one? If it wants to resemble the original experience, it must make you fight with your config.sys, understand why you get "EMS not available" errors, etc. Basically it needs to drop you into a DOS command prompt. If you don't want any of that, then you just use DOSBox yourself, or get games from GOG.com.

I mean, this really does not make any sense to me whatsoever. If you're nostalgic about DOS machines, this thing doesn't cut it. Not even close. So it's not for you. If you're not interested in DOS nostalgia, then this also isn't for you, because you most probably never played any games on DOS to begin with. So who is this for then? I can't see what the audience is 😵

Last edited by realnc on 2018-11-13, 07:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 60, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote:

Lol yes I'm not sold on the idea. The mini-NES', etc - I get the appeal of those. But I just can't imagine a market out there for an ugly little box that runs DOS games.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 60, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't even hear what the f*** the guys is saying! If you want to launch a product film in an office environment with good pictures/video of the product, not some guy speaking next to a AC fan into a mono microphone 10 ft away in someones basement!

Reply 4 of 60, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
realnc wrote:

These "Classic Mini" devices they put out try to appeal to nostalgia, and come in a form that, at least somewhat, resembles the original experience. So given that, what's the point of this one? If it wants to resemble the original experience, it must make you fight with your config.sys, understand why you get "EMS not available" errors, etc. Basically it needs to drop you into a DOS command prompt. If you don't want any of that, then you just use DOSBox yourself, or get games from GOG.com.

I mean, this really does not make any sense to me whatsoever. If you're nostalgic about DOS machines, this thing doesn't cut it. Not even close. So it's not for you. If you're not interested in DOS nostalgia, then this also isn't for you, because you most probably never played any games on DOS to begin with. So who is this for then? I can't see what the audience is 😵

It’s hopefully going to be better than any other PC emulator out there.

Reply 5 of 60, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DOSfan1994 wrote:

I seriously doubt it. Most probably this is already some Pi using emulation/dosbox. I have nothing to support my statement, neither have I researched it properly, but its size tells me not to expect any real h/w. Also, entirely instinctively, I expect a loud flop.

Reply 6 of 60, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote:
DOSfan1994 wrote:

I seriously doubt it. Most probably this is already some Pi using emulation/dosbox. I have nothing to support my statement, neither have I researched it properly, but its size tells me not to expect any real h/w. Also, entirely instinctively, I expect a loud flop.

I’m still waiting for PCem to have more hardware emulated. So I can replicate my old Windows 3.1 to 95 computer my family had back then.

Reply 7 of 60, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:

I seriously doubt it. Most probably this is already some Pi using emulation/dosbox. I have nothing to support my statement, neither have I researched it properly, but its size tells me not to expect any real h/w.

AFAIK the Raspberry Pi does not have the processing power to emulate an x86-CPU with DOS(box) fast enough for something like Doom. As Illustrated here: How Do I Run Doom Faster in Dosbox On My Pi 3?. At least not with a Linux like OS in between, but even without that how to run x86 instructions on ARM fast enough?
Or is it based on something in the likes of Intel Atom, AMD Brazos or Vortex86?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 60, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

Something Vortex86 based would actually be very interesting, especially if it were capable of being reclocked via BIOS or utility.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 60, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
gerwin wrote:

Something Vortex86 based would actually be very interesting, especially if it were capable of being reclocked via BIOS or utility.

Yeah but I don't know if it will have the ability to load Windows 3.1 and Windows 95. (Or even upgrade it with the Windows 95 upgrade CD.) Or have the capability with the third USB port on the back to connect a USB disk drive to use as a CD drive and multimedia capabilities to have Audio CD. But as said in the video there may be some changes in the final product. So hopefully what I have mentioned are these final changes.

Edit: I wouldn't count on it.

Reply 10 of 60, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds good, but not great, wonderful, excellent, or awesome, but, not bad. I use my older hardware for old DOS and Windows games, or DOSBox to test out the games I bought from GOG.com or Steam to see how it performs and which bugs the games might have, such as not supporting more than 32MB RAM.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 11 of 60, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Their prototype is so dang UGLY. They could've done better on that-- and the pushbutton power switch isn't really period-correct. It needs a rocker switch or something.

I do like the HDMI and composite video output (with the stereo sound).

The poor sound quality is a bit off-putting. (And that baja shirt! haven't worn a baja shirt since '87!)

Reply 12 of 60, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Sounds good, but not great, wonderful, excellent, or awesome, but, not bad. I use my older hardware for old DOS and Windows games, or DOSBox to test out the games I bought from GOG.com or Steam to see how it performs and which bugs the games might have, such as not supporting more than 32MB RAM.

Hopefully the changes to the final product is where you can install old Windows operating systems.

Reply 13 of 60, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlaricD wrote:

Their prototype is so dang UGLY. They could've done better on that-- and the pushbutton power switch isn't really period-correct. It needs a rocker switch or something.

I do like the HDMI and composite video output (with the stereo sound).

The poor sound quality is a bit off-putting. (And that baja shirt! haven't worn a baja shirt since '87!)

With the HDMI. I bet the main GPU on this will have 3D acceleration. As seen at the end of the video with Quake II a windows 95 game running at a full 60 FPS on this invention. And the hopefully ability to load Windows 9x on there. Again that is to be the prototype. So that might change.

Reply 14 of 60, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quake II was ported to DOS a while ago. Thread is on Vogons somewhere... Meaning: Windows may not have been involved there.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 15 of 60, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The concept is pretty cool though.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 16 of 60, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote:

Quake II was ported to DOS a while ago. Thread is on Vogons somewhere... Meaning: Windows may not have been involved there.

According to Wikipeidia there was no such thing as a DOS port.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_II

Reply 18 of 60, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DOSfan1994 wrote:
AlaricD wrote:

The poor sound quality is a bit off-putting.

With the HDMI.

I meant the sound quality of the video itself, not of the gameplay.

I bet the main GPU on this will have 3D acceleration.

Looks like it from the Quake II footage.

Again that is to be the prototype. So that might change.

It would be pretty cool to install Win9x on it, but driver support might be iffy.

Reply 19 of 60, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://dk.toastednet.org/Q2DOS/
https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/overview
Quake 2 DOS with 3DFX Rendering [56k Warning]

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline