VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't know this existed until yesterday, when I was flipping around on the FreeDOS website looking for stuff to use.

A few router settings later, and I'm on the WiFi with my Pentium 166 laptop running DOS 7.1.

Lo and behold, this is the best web browser I've used on DOS so far. It is much snappier and easier to use than either Arachne or Dillo.

In text mode, everything loads very quickly and is quite readable. In graphics mode, things are generally formatted properly and load much faster than I'm used to on DOS. Each page probably loads in an average of 10 seconds... some in less than 1 or 2 seconds, some in maybe 20 seconds if it has a lot of images.

The settings are straightforward. Overall the design is pretty minimalistic, which is what I like.

It doesn't really seem to choke on anything. It even loads the plain HTML version of Gmail with no issues! Of course, it doesn't do any HTML5 stuff like videos. But that's OK.

Anyway, I'm impressed. Anyone else care to give it a shot and review it?

P.S. yes, of course, I'm writing this from said browser on said machine 😎

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 1, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use it all the time, although I know of at least two versions of Links for DOS and two versions of Lynx for DOS. So, something of a selection even in text only browsers.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder