Topic actions

Reply 60 of 142, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Yes, Obviously the perfect computer is not on the market as of today.
But it sure looks like they are trying to build one.
A computer with a personal advisor to guide you into the future.

Wait isn’t iPad already released? Is this a trick or troll post?

I think Intel486dx33 actually IS an iPad. He's a next generation AI running on an iPad prototype from a lab somewhere. This would explain the stock photos and the computer generated avatar.

🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 61 of 142, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FuzzyLogic wrote:
You must be trolling or smoking some weird crap. The iPad isn't even a good tablet. It's doesn't have a built in keyboard. Th […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote:
The perfect computer will have fixed components because it is perfect. Like on a tablet. Not up-gradable or ability to modify. A […]
Show full quote

The perfect computer will have fixed components because it is perfect. Like on a tablet. Not up-gradable or ability to modify.
All-in-One
Built-in keyboard, speakers, display, etc....
All-in-One

IPad

You must be trolling or smoking some weird crap. The iPad isn't even a good tablet. It's doesn't have a built in keyboard. The speakers on them are crap. The display is good; that's about it.

Can you access the filesystem on them? No
Can you transfer files easily to and from an iPad to a PC? No
Can you add storage? No
Can you add memory? No
Can you use a mouse? No
Can you develop programs on it without a Mac? No
Can you install programs without jailbreaking the iPad or putting them on the App Store? No
Can you use other browsers without using Apple's shitty broken Webkit and javascript engines? No
Can you repair or replace iPad parts easily? No
And so much more.

The iPad is not a computer, it is a toy. Please stop trolling.

Don't even think he's trolling, just is that delusional... not surprised by the least.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 62 of 142, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:
I just sold my old cheese grater Mac pro because they are too BIG, resource hogs, out of date , old hardware, loud power supplie […]
Show full quote

I just sold my old cheese grater Mac pro because they are too BIG, resource hogs, out of date , old hardware, loud power supplies, require new graphics cards, and where just too old for everyday use.

My iPads are my everyday computers today. Sometimes I use a desktop PC or my MacBook pros. But hardly.
I just like the simplicity and convenience of a mobile and reliable tablet.
The iPad has everything I need.

It means that you are not contributing ANY content to the interent, just consuming. There are no applications for real work made for Apple, all the software that is used to do real things in world (Catia, Solidworks etc) are for Windows.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 63 of 142, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FuzzyLogic wrote:

Can you add storage? No
Can you add memory? No
Can you repair or replace iPad parts easily? No

Why should you? It's already perfect! 🤣

Last edited by tayyare on 2021-05-15, 23:52. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 64 of 142, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paadam wrote:

There are no applications for real work made for Apple, all the software that is used to do real things in world (Catia, Solidworks etc) are for Windows.

I'm not happy to admit, but no, it's not that bad. Sucks in engineering, but for artsy stuff like movie making, graphical design, publishing, etc., it has some serious tools available, as far as I can see from what one of my mates can do with his apple PC.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 65 of 142, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:

I'm not happy to admit, but no, it's not that bad. Sucks in engineering, but for artsy stuff like movie making, graphical design, publishing, etc., it has some serious tools available, as far as I can see from what one of my mates can do with his apple PC.

It was always like this historically. Around 2000-2003 when I was in the graphics/advertising/publishing sector Apple Macintosh systems were everywhere, and Windows was uncommon. Surprisingly I found it quite easy to work on an apple at office/school and transfer it to a windows PC at home and continue with the Windows versions of the software. Most software was from Adobe, but not all. The only hassle was that fonts could not be copied over in simple way.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 66 of 142, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BeginnerGuy wrote:

------------

I made a funny but honestly, what is a perfect computer aside from a machine that does virtually everything I could ever imagine to make my life easier and more efficient. So while funny, it has truth, until the machine is capable of virtually everything and doing it silently and powering itself, there will always be something better coming up.

My own personal Von Neumann machine that is intelligent, pervasive, self healing, self constructing, and adapts to service my every whim. Yes, please!

Of course, I remember an Outer Limits ep like this. It didn't end well.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 67 of 142, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
BeginnerGuy wrote:

------------

I made a funny but honestly, what is a perfect computer aside from a machine that does virtually everything I could ever imagine to make my life easier and more efficient. So while funny, it has truth, until the machine is capable of virtually everything and doing it silently and powering itself, there will always be something better coming up.

My own personal Von Neumann machine that is intelligent, pervasive, self healing, self constructing, and adapts to service my every whim. Yes, please!

Of course, I remember an Outer Limits ep like this. It didn't end well.

Lol I'm glad somebody is thinking far beyond the current computer. Imagine how dumb we could be with such a computer companion eh? You could go tell your teachers to take off cuz you're getting taught by a genius eh.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 69 of 142, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

kids these days need to be taught proper MS-DOS prompts

Or some Basic command lines. Like formatting a floppy on C64 without the help of some sort of program. 😉

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 70 of 142, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Perfect computer is as illusive as the perfect house. Once you build it you want some thing better or different.
That’s why a fixed computer or tablet that you can’t modify is best because it keeps you from tinkering with it.
Most of the NEW laptops and Notebooks and Tablets and some Desktops are too expensive to service or throw aways.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-12-20, 22:12. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 71 of 142, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That sounds like something an Apple Employee/AI would say. I think an open platform where the user can decide what they want it to be , rather than be told all it will be, is a far superior platform. An all in one is never done because its the best hardware its done because its the best compromise that could be made for a price/profit.

Computers have evolved away from non-expandability, not into that, Tablets are a regression of computer design in favor ofphysical size and they are unnecessary if you have a modern Smart TV.

Reply 72 of 142, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perfect machine for me is going to be a laptop, one of the tabletlaptops that were popular some decade ago. This is gonna be such a wall of text...

* 14...15" non wide panel, 4:3 preferred. 16:9 and 16:10 are not acceptable. 1400x1050 or 1600x1200 screen are ideal, DPI much higher than 150 no thank you.

* Since the panel will be rotateable it must be IPS, VA, OLED or µLED. When it comes to LCDs, VA is preferred due to much less blurring than IPS while still having as good contrast for an LCD. Backlight zoning will be necessary too to improve the relatively poor contrast of a LCD a bit more when comparing to CRT or xLED based panels. µLED will be favored over OLED due significantly less issues with burn in and both are favored over LCDs. xLEDs in those formats and DPI will probably never be available...

* full 24bit or maybe even 30bit display interface rather than usual 18bit that laptops have. No dithering stuff please.

* Wacom based or otherwise WinTab compatible RF based pen input. Capacitive inputs no thanks. Resistive might work but the point is doing art and good pressure sense and localization of the tip are essential.

* All cables coming out of one side, preferably on the back. i.e LAN, power and sound must all be on one side, either left or back. Front may not have any sort of connectors, most particularly sound output since I want nothing poking my gut 🤣

* Palm length area on sides near bottom need to be clear of connectors so I can grab the thing nicely from there with nothing poking into my palm.

* Must have nicely laid out INS+DEL+HOME+END+PGUP+PGDN keys, right side CTRL key is mandatory. Leftmost key in bottom row is CTRL and not Fn. No system key should be hidden behind Fn, all stuff you see on a normal desktop keyboard must also be present on the laptop keyboard.

* Dvorak layout on the keyboard with keys of QWERTY and US-int layout also marked. Hardware switch for selecting between the two so that there's no need for logical layout changes needed on OS level.

* Trackpoint is necessary, touchpad optional, 3 mouse buttons preferred too. Sensitivity of the trackpoint should be fairly high so that a relatively light touch scoots the cursor from one edge of screen to other.

* Battery should be in front, this has way better balancing than devices where battery is in back/middle. Battery should also be just bare 18650 cells that I can buy myself, no trouble sourcing replacements ! Some quarter of the machine could be battery cells, long life is more important than compact size and weight.

* More than 2 RAM connectors, large size modules are expensive compared to several smaller sized ones.

* Both PCMCIA/CardBus and ExpressCard slots rather than just one or other.

* 1Gbit LAN is a requirement, with a nice metal connector that won't break if someone stumbles into the cable. I don't want to do stuff like this again : http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/LANportRepair0.jpg 😵

* Dock with COM, LPT, DVI / HDMI /DP, plenty of USB, PS/2 and other ports on it, Must have real PCI slot(s) and perhaps even ISA slot, PCI-E is not necessary and ExpressCard already gives it. Dock should also have room for a 3.5" SATA HDD, floppy drive and an optical drive if one doesn't fit on the machine itself.

* Generous amount of realestate for audio, no interferences and noises etc. are acceptable. Must have a real line in aswell as a line out in addition to real headphone output, direct coupled with relay protection, no series capacitors. Digital I/O is a bonus and can appear on dock. Microphone input is unnecessary, internal microphone should be present though. Speakers are not necessary and can be completely omitted, it is impossible to get -good- sound out of laptop speakers. Film caps and e-caps only in signal path, MLCCs and tantalums are not allowed there, only in power bypass circuits.

* Body needs to be made of magnesium or aluminium, can be cast, milled or pressed(in case of aluminium). Plastic is not acceptable. Thickness of bottom part should be 2cm+, for a comfy grip. Rectangular design without any curves other than corners please. Must survive drop from half a meter on any outer area without damage to screen or motherboard etc.

* May not overheat if there's no fan running, good amount of the body can be purposed as heatsink if needed. Passive operation without surface temps of the machine going over 40ºC must be sustainable for hours under non gaming etc. use. Fan and CPU must be accessible just by popping the bottom cover off, no dismantle everything nonsense that most current machines do please.

* No need for any sort of GPU, the machine is used for work mostly. Reduced heat and maximized battery life are much more valued over performance.

* No UEFI, secureboot and other garbage. All chipset timings etc. should always be available much like a typical desktop. Should support config profiles for different OSes and should have comprehensive bootloader in the BIOS.

* Has to be actually usable with win9x and DOS, even if all drivers aren't available for base hardware (dock can help out too here). Must be fully usable with XP and 7, linux flavors are also welcome.

Many of these things aren't unrealistic, one can dream ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 73 of 142, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote:
Perfect machine for me is going to be a laptop, one of the tabletlaptops that were popular some decade ago. This is gonna be suc […]
Show full quote

Perfect machine for me is going to be a laptop, one of the tabletlaptops that were popular some decade ago. This is gonna be such a wall of text...

* 14...15" non wide panel, 4:3 preferred. 16:9 and 16:10 are not acceptable. 1400x1050 or 1600x1200 screen are ideal, DPI much higher than 150 no thank you.

* Since the panel will be rotateable it must be IPS, VA, OLED or µLED. When it comes to LCDs, VA is preferred due to much less blurring than IPS while still having as good contrast for an LCD. Backlight zoning will be necessary too to improve the relatively poor contrast of a LCD a bit more when comparing to CRT or xLED based panels. µLED will be favored over OLED due significantly less issues with burn in and both are favored over LCDs. xLEDs in those formats and DPI will probably never be available...

* full 24bit or maybe even 30bit display interface rather than usual 18bit that laptops have. No dithering stuff please.

* Wacom based or otherwise WinTab compatible RF based pen input. Capacitive inputs no thanks. Resistive might work but the point is doing art and good pressure sense and localization of the tip are essential.

* All cables coming out of one side, preferably on the back. i.e LAN, power and sound must all be on one side, either left or back. Front may not have any sort of connectors, most particularly sound output since I want nothing poking my gut 🤣

* Palm length area on sides near bottom need to be clear of connectors so I can grab the thing nicely from there with nothing poking into my palm.

* Must have nicely laid out INS+DEL+HOME+END+PGUP+PGDN keys, right side CTRL key is mandatory. Leftmost key in bottom row is CTRL and not Fn. No system key should be hidden behind Fn, all stuff you see on a normal desktop keyboard must also be present on the laptop keyboard.

* Dvorak layout on the keyboard with keys of QWERTY and US-int layout also marked. Hardware switch for selecting between the two so that there's no need for logical layout changes needed on OS level.

* Trackpoint is necessary, touchpad optional, 3 mouse buttons preferred too. Sensitivity of the trackpoint should be fairly high so that a relatively light touch scoots the cursor from one edge of screen to other.

* Battery should be in front, this has way better balancing than devices where battery is in back/middle. Battery should also be just bare 18650 cells that I can buy myself, no trouble sourcing replacements ! Some quarter of the machine could be battery cells, long life is more important than compact size and weight.

* More than 2 RAM connectors, large size modules are expensive compared to several smaller sized ones.

* Both PCMCIA/CardBus and ExpressCard slots rather than just one or other.

* 1Gbit LAN is a requirement, with a nice metal connector that won't break if someone stumbles into the cable. I don't want to do stuff like this again : http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/LANportRepair0.jpg 😵

* Dock with COM, LPT, DVI / HDMI /DP, plenty of USB, PS/2 and other ports on it, Must have real PCI slot(s) and perhaps even ISA slot, PCI-E is not necessary and ExpressCard already gives it. Dock should also have room for a 3.5" SATA HDD, floppy drive and an optical drive if one doesn't fit on the machine itself.

* Generous amount of realestate for audio, no interferences and noises etc. are acceptable. Must have a real line in aswell as a line out in addition to real headphone output, direct coupled with relay protection, no series capacitors. Digital I/O is a bonus and can appear on dock. Microphone input is unnecessary, internal microphone should be present though. Speakers are not necessary and can be completely omitted, it is impossible to get -good- sound out of laptop speakers. Film caps and e-caps only in signal path, MLCCs and tantalums are not allowed there, only in power bypass circuits.

* Body needs to be made of magnesium or aluminium, can be cast, milled or pressed(in case of aluminium). Plastic is not acceptable. Thickness of bottom part should be 2cm+, for a comfy grip. Rectangular design without any curves other than corners please. Must survive drop from half a meter on any outer area without damage to screen or motherboard etc.

* May not overheat if there's no fan running, good amount of the body can be purposed as heatsink if needed. Passive operation without surface temps of the machine going over 40ºC must be sustainable for hours under non gaming etc. use. Fan and CPU must be accessible just by popping the bottom cover off, no dismantle everything nonsense that most current machines do please.

* No need for any sort of GPU, the machine is used for work mostly. Reduced heat and maximized battery life are much more valued over performance.

* No UEFI, secureboot and other garbage. All chipset timings etc. should always be available much like a typical desktop. Should support config profiles for different OSes and should have comprehensive bootloader in the BIOS.

* Has to be actually usable with win9x and DOS, even if all drivers aren't available for base hardware (dock can help out too here). Must be fully usable with XP and 7, linux flavors are also welcome.

Many of these things aren't unrealistic, one can dream ~

Sounds like you need something in the neighbourhood of an Thinkpad. You can find one with over 50% of those requirements.
As I mentioned earlier, then I am happily running an Thinkpad R61, that is from the time period in where Lenovo took over from IBM.

Reply 74 of 142, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a perfect laptop, give me a ThinkPad T42 chassis with 1600x1200 IPS screen and modern guts like 2280 M.2 slot (NOT those useless 2242s) and a 2.5 SATA bay, support for 8th gen Intel processors, USB 3.0, etc.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 75 of 142, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Sounds like you need something in the neighbourhood of an Thinkpad. You can find one with over 50% of those requirements.
As I mentioned earlier, then I am happily running an Thinkpad R61, that is from the time period in where Lenovo took over from IBM.

This was typed on a ThinkPad X200 which fits good number of the requirements. I want a X61 with 1400x1050 though but those seem to be pretty rare... 1024x768 will not cut it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 76 of 142, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote:
brostenen wrote:

This was typed on a ThinkPad X200 which fits good number of the requirements. I want a X61 with 1400x1050 though but those seem to be pretty rare... 1024x768 will not cut it.

Yup... Then you need something bigger than my puny R61. 😁
We all have different want's of a machine. If I can go on Vogons/other forums, do my home banking and resize my pictures. Then I am happy enough. Minecraft is reserved for a complete different laptop. Actually.... I am only using that laptop for Minecraft. It is not fast, though I bought it for 15 US Dollars, and it is just fast enough for playing minecraft on "peaceful" and "Creative mode", because I love to just build stuff.

Reply 77 of 142, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

The Perfect computer is as illusive as the perfect house. Once you build it you want some thing better or different.
That’s why a fixed computer or tablet that you can’t modify is best because it keeps you from tinkering with it.
Most of the NEW laptops and Notebooks and Tablets and some Desktops are too expensive to service or throw aways.

So, if I just weld my case cover to case chassis so it will become a box that I can not reach insides, my computer will be a perfect one?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 79 of 142, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the question is impossible - perfect to me would suggest that it never needs to be compact but powerful, silent but powerful, portable but with a large screen, thin but with good speakers, lightweight but durable, cheap but high quality. That's outside of specifics of components, OS support etc. They're all largely contradictory...

In that case, how do you define best rather than perfect? In my opinion a good "catch all" description would be Remains valid / not obsolete for the longest time, taking into account purchase price too.

I think it has to be something quite new as PCs developed to fast in the 90s and 2000s:
A Pentium 3 from 2000 700MHz, 256Mb RAM, Geforce DDR would be obsolete in 5 years when C2D's were appearing.
A 2005 C2D with 2/3GB RAM and an Nv 7800 would be obsolete in 2010 when yo could get an i7 860 4c/8t and 8GB DD3 and Nv 570/80 in 2010.

Therefore I think something like a 2011 Sandybridge 2600k i7, 8GB DDR3 and an AMD 7970 (released a few months later) purchased in spring 2012. The last of the big speed increases. It can happily run Windows xp, 7 or 10. It's been good for 7 years and will continue to be "acceptable" for a couple more years to come and can probably even run games on low settings at 1080p. The SB CPU is cool and very overclockable. This PC could theoretically squeeze into an ITX case if needed. SATA 3 support for an SSD. Adequate integrated sound.

Pricing was great around this time too (prices is inclusive of tax, from ebuyer.co.uk in June 2012 from Internet archive);

i7 2600k is £238
2x 4GB DDR3 1600MHz is £36 (I can't believe that!)
7970 is £335
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Z68 is £130