VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I was planning to install a small (about 240Gb) SSD in my wife's computer.

The computer has:
- AMD FX CPU.
- 16 Gb RAM.
- AMD 970 chipset with SB950.
- Two SATA HDDs: one (1Tb) with three partitions and the other (500Gb, one partition) connected via a eSATA bridge.
- Windows 10.

The first HDD has two partitions. One small (about 200Gb) partition that have Windows 10 files, the windows recovery partition and a big partition hosting apps, games and (possibly) data files. The second HDD is used as a backup device, so it rarely runs anything.

So, the configuration precludes configuring the mainboard to use the SSD as a caché. I guess I'm stuck with one of these options:

• Using the SSD as boot device. It will surely boot quick, and if I put the swap file to that device will accelerate things (but that computer has 16Gb, so maybe swap file is not used a lot). The downside is that applications and games are on the other side, so the benefit can be limited.
  • Using the SSD as software cache (via Windows 10 Readyboost). I guess that it will accelerate everything (including OS and apps/games), and if that disk dies I can remove it without any trouble. The downside is that having 16Gb means that maybe that cache use is limited. Also, I don't know if that kind of caché is persistent (the cache remembers data between reboots).
  • Using as both a boot device and cache... can it be done?

How would you use that SSD?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 3, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a same sized SSD as Win10 boot device and I also install games on it. Granted, you can't fit that many in it if you also plan to install all your updates and other Windows software, but how many games are you actually playing at the same time? I can fit a few games I intend to play at any given moment, be done with them and the use a second storage SSD (500 Gb) to fetch whatever I want to play next. Then again, I rarely jump from game to game as I'd rather finish what I started before moving on so the SSD limit isn't really a factor in my case.

Reply 3 of 3, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is what I have been doing for years. Install Windows + programs on SSD, move your documents/pictures/music/videos to an HD. With 16GB RAM, set your pagefile to a fixed 1GB. Disable hibernation as well to free up another 16GB of space.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif