VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really sure where to put this or how to explain it really - I've been testing different ISA sound cards in a Windows 98 SE build and 2 of them had the same Crystal chipset. Now that I've decided to go with the slightly older of the 2 I want to start from scratch and do a clean install of the drivers, but blooding Windows keeps recognizing it as the newer of the 2 and a) naming it incorrectly and b) asking for drivers that only exist on the newer ones install disk. These are both PnP cards.

I know I've fixed this sort of crap before but can't remember how to make Windows un-see the other card. I've run through the registry and deleted anything related to it, I've done a 'regclean', I've deleted all of the files I can find that relate to the unwanted card, but on boot Windows is still saying "yo dude I've found some hardware for you and clever me I KNOW what that is!". Driver Cleaner was no help either - it doesn't do ISA Crystal sound card drivers.

Any help appreciated.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 8, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This might - or might not be helpful:

Win9x keeps track of all hardware in your machine, which can be seen in the Device Manager. Sometimes Win9x gets confused by all […]
Show full quote

Win9x keeps track of all hardware in your machine, which can be seen in the Device Manager. Sometimes Win9x gets confused by all your hardware and starts to act strange. One can clear this confusion and hopefully it will solve any problems.

By deleting the this registry-key, Win9x will forget all information about hardware and at next boot it will start redetecting everything :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Enum]

Note if Windows doesn't start detecting new devices after first boot, then go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Hardware and force a scan for new hardware.

Note doing this will cause Windows to forget your network settings, and you might manually have to reinstall your Dial-Up Adapter. But it will remember the dial-up connection to your ISP along with userid and password.

Note before doing starting the detecting it is a good idea to have all necessary driver disks ready along with the Windows CD-ROM in case it cannot reuse the drivers which currently resides in the Windows directory.

Note it might be a good idea to Check for ghost devices after redetecting and installing all devices.

Note one can use this solution to migrate Win9x from an old computer to a new computer. Before moving the HDD into the new computer just delete the registry folder shown above. Though this solution doesn't come near the perfection of a clean format and install, but it is quicker and keeps the settings and applications.

Apparently this is a "all or none"-type of method. Deleting the whole parent registry key.

Reply 4 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent thanks so much for the replies - I've been caught up in Christmas madness and unable to get my hands onto the relevant beige keyboard but I'll report back when I do.

Reply 5 of 8, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

My method's usually flushing out C:\windows\inf\other and then removing the device and then restarting.

This !
In addition, if you restart in "safe mode" you'll see all hardware which were detected from the moment of windows installation until now in Device Manager (in "normal mode" you can only see currently present hardware). You can delete unneeded hardware from device manager in "safe mode". It should've gone forever...

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 6 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyga64 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

My method's usually flushing out C:\windows\inf\other and then removing the device and then restarting.

This !
In addition, if you restart in "safe mode" you'll see all hardware which were detected from the moment of windows installation until now in Device Manager (in "normal mode" you can only see currently present hardware). You can delete unneeded hardware from device manager in "safe mode". It should've gone forever...

Yes this was right on the money, thanks leilei.

I'll have to remember that "safe mode" trick too, very handy. More likely I'll forget both of these tricks in ~7 days time and will have to google it, but hopefully this thread pops up next time 😎

Hi future self!

Reply 7 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
Yes this was right on the money, thanks leilei. […]
Show full quote
zyga64 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

This !

Yes this was right on the money, thanks leilei.

I'll have to remember that "safe mode" trick too, very handy. More likely I'll forget both of these tricks in ~7 days time and will have to google it, but hopefully this thread pops up next time 😎

Hi future self!

Hilarious! That is soooooo recognizable I never even knew I had a brother in Australia.... we have to be related! 🤣
Don't you just hate it when you found a ''perfect'' solution just to having to invent the same f*cking wheel a few weeks/months later? And yes, sometimes even days.. 😎

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lolz yes I don’t know if it was having kids or the existence of the internets but I can’t remember anything anymore 🤣