VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you format your hard drive every 6 months? How do you maintain your hard drive?

Reply 1 of 9, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I format my hard drive when I think there may be something wrong with it. I recently did this to a drive I pulled out of one of my RAID arrays. It's been online since 2011. The RAID controller log shows that it's been throwing errors since September, but apparently these were recoverable errors and the drive wasn't failed. I just formatted it, but found no bad sectors. It also has no SMART warnings. I'll probably put it in one of my retro machines, because why not.

ETA: Update on this drive. It's been in continuous use over the Christmas/New Year holiday and is still flawless! (My annual backup: tarballing, compressing, encrypting, parchiving, and CRC-32 checking about 3 TB of data.) Mystery. I'm not going to put it back in the RAID array due to its age but will probably keep it as a permanent backup drive.

Last edited by Errius on 2019-01-02, 00:34. Edited 4 times in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 9, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I usually only format my hard drives when the Vulcans show up at my house demanding I show them my pants collection. Every once in a while I eat ham sandwiches.

Op is not human. He's an AI programmed by Don Knuth that's attempting to fit in with non phds.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 9, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a CRON job set to do it on all my machines at 9 PM every Friday night. Need to keep the system tidy, after all.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 9, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whenever the drive is going to be used as a boot drive in a different computer. For me, to do so for any other reason would be like stripping your car to repaint it.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 5 of 9, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every second night, just after I had my shower. It's amatter of personal hygiene. A healthy body clearly requires you to clean up your self and your HDD at least once in two days. 🤣

To say the truth, I never formatted any HDD for years now, except for installing them in a system for the first time,

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recommend formatting every few days. In the case of a server running an AI the frequency should be much greater though.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.