VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have extracted, converted and recorded all of the Roland MT-32 .XMI files of Strike Commander. Now comes the hard part: identify and label where each track is actually used in the game, and come up with a meaningful playing order! Unfortunately, I had never gotten really into this game, yet I still love the music. So before I learn to play through the whole game until every track has come up at least once, I thought there may be some Strike Commander experts here who can provide input.

Here is the current recording that I have (1.27 GiB):

• CMBT-xx, GFLx-yy, MIDG-xx are the normal song files, while FLICx are used by the CD-ROM version's introduction;
  • CMBTTxx, GFLT-xx are the short transitions between songs for which COMBAT.TXT/GFL-x.TXT define which transition "Neno's Interactive Music" (NIM) system will use and so will not require further labelling; an actual soundtrack release would of course fold one transition plus the song file into one track and use descriptive file names;
  • INDEX.TXT and !PLAYLST.M3U contain preliminary labels and playing order based on what I have been able to gather from the various playthrough videos on YouTube.

If somebody could offer corrections, tell me when the missing tracks CMBT-08..CMBT-21/CMBT22..25 are used or why most MIDG- tracks exist twice, or suggest a better playback order that still includes all songs (not all transitions, obviously), I would be grateful; that person will obviously be credited in a soundtrack release. The "Origin Audio CD Vol. 2" was not really helpful, as it only has a handful of tracks, with several cues on the "Combat" track without further explanation.

Edit: link removed

Last edited by NewRisingSun on 2019-12-24, 20:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ambitious project! I played through the game at its release and again in late 2017, but my recall of when the tracks played is not that good. I think you almost *have to* play through the game as you do this. 🙁 I wish you the best, sir. And thank you for your hard work.

Unless...what if you followed along a Let's Play? Here's one that seems pretty complete (the FM music shouldn't matter so long as the songs are recognizable):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBEEE300EBEA0724

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks