VOGONS

Common searches

Smf playback

Topic actions

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've done enough research to ascertain that so called FM or CQM midi used .smf or "standard mid files".

Aha!

Of the synthesis chips on the Soundblaster 16 and Yamaha SoundEdge, which had the ability to playback that file?

From what I have read, the CT1747 is the only chip that definitely did.

The last chip for the soundblaster 16 is YMF289
Yamaha SoundEdge's YMF278B

Out of the later sound modules, it was the Edirol cm-32l rather than the Roland cm-32l that was CQM compatible, wasn't it?

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Surely you're thinking of CMFs (Creative Music Format)? They were pretty raw, not midi, and the DOS application/driver suite for the Sound Blaster (from SB up to SB16 ~1994-95) had PLAYCMF. It's nothing more than a proprietary OPL2 music format.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I remember the Edirol ASIC correctly, it is CQM midi compatible, LA synthesis compatible, and General MIDI compatible. I do remember it has a BIOS message "general MIDI was not intended for PC audio" that some find unpleasant.

Also, the SSC-1a ASIC reports in BIOS that it is meant for sound canvas and not General MIDI modes.

Who makes the SSC-1a ASIC? I'm smurfing its Yamaha.

Also, the Edirol ASIC reponds to a CLK signal on pin 3, so I think that's the one ASIC that can resolve the "intelligent mode" issue.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 4 of 4, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recall, there are soundblaster midi files .sbm. Isn't there a Creative midi file too? I found some reference to .smf being very old, it's also the current, GM2 midi file.

I remember, Creative's file is .cts.

Did any OS version support .smf natively?

Put another way, what was the first version of Windows to support .smf through the Quicktime Player?

Also, IIRC that mid is html standard and smf is not.

Curiously, aac is html standard and m4a is not.

Daniel L Newhouse