VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've heard some negative things about RX 500 series performance in older games -- particularly DirectX 9. Does anyone have any experience with these cards?

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My experience with GCN so far is that it has better legacy D3D compatibility than the HD series, which surprised me. Still not perfect though. Uncertain about the RX.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 9, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

they happened to break DX9 games with some driver version but quickly fixed it again not long ago;

in any case, the DX9 games that I tried on my 370 (7850) all worked OK, but it's a GCN 1.0 card which can even be used on XP, not sure how it goes for the newer stuff like Vega.

Reply 4 of 9, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SPBHM wrote:

they happened to break DX9 games with some driver version but quickly fixed it again not long ago;

in any case, the DX9 games that I tried on my 370 (7850) all worked OK, but it's a GCN 1.0 card which can even be used on XP, not sure how it goes for the newer stuff like Vega.

I have a Vega64, when it first launched there were issues with DX9 games, which I believe was driver related and also affected RX 5xx series cards. Most likely exactly what you're referring to, and yep it was fixed long ago and I've since had no issues with DX9 games

***BUT*** Windows 10 itself seems to be a bit of a nuisance with some DX9 titles, namely Borderlands 2. I still experience massive frame drops in that game that completely vanish if I boot into Windows 7 and use the same driver version. It won't be too many years before we're looking for ways to keep our Steam titles going on Win 7 hardware 😜

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 9, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am using a A10-7800 FM2+ APU and a Asus A88XM-A motherboard for all my computing and non DOS retrogaming needs.
It runs Windows XP and Windows 7 and all games i throw at him, it just works. Few games have some minor issues, that can be remedied with the help of the internet.

Currently playing in Windows 7:
Warcraft 2
Starcraft
Red Alert 2
Tiberian Sun
Serious Sam 2
Serious Sam 3
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
CnC: Renegade
Medal Of Honor 2
Black Ops 1
Half Life 2
Quake 2
Unreal Tournament Original Gold

Last edited by Cyberdyne on 2019-01-17, 07:19. Edited 1 time in total.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 6 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an RX480 8GB and have no issues with any older games; AMD drivers are fucking AWESOME lately.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 9, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I have an RX480 8GB and have no issues with any older games; AMD drivers are fucking AWESOME lately.

Minus the fan curve in radeon software making my vega sound like a rejected 747 while simultaneously breaking the very smooth fan curve in afterburner, but I'm sure an afterburner update will come soon enough to cheer me up 😜

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 8 of 9, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was told that that AMD cards cannot force VSync in DX9 titles, is that true?

I've also read about Wolfenstein The Old Blood runs terrible on AMD cards and this is a DX11 game, I believe? I'm tempted to get a RX580 to tide me over as my 760GTX is running out of steam "but ma' compatibilities!!" as I'm sure many on these forums can understand.

Reply 9 of 9, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
infiniteclouds wrote:

I was told that that AMD cards cannot force VSync in DX9 titles, is that true?

You can't force vsync on for DirectX games through the driver control panel (unless they have changed it recently), but I'm pretty sure you can force it on with a third party tool. You can force it on for OpenGL games directly from the driver, no idea why they won't let you do that for DirectX.