VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello fellow "COMPUTER" enthusiasts! (especially retro).

Should "computer" magazines cover dishwashers and refrigerators in most of their pages?

I bet you're thinking "no they shouldn't".

If so, let me add this: modern appliances are equipped with computers. They even have touchscreens and WiFi connections so that you can control them with your phone!

I bet you're thinking something like "I get that. But, still, we're talking about 'computer' magazines, not general electronics/technology magazines"; and, I agree with you.

The key is in the "most of their pages" part. We need balance. I get that it would be nice to know, from a little box or paragraph of the news section, that the newest Refrigerator from Zanussi has got a wordprocessor to add recipes and read them on-screen, or that Elon Musk added a games console to his latest Tesla car to play with when the vehicle is parked. But a COMPUITER MAGAZINE is not "mainly" about that. It's about COMPUTERS. At least it should be.

On the other hand, except very few exceptions, I noticed that "computer" magazines are filled up with pages talking about pads, pods, pids, puds, peds, iphones, iphines, iphenes, iphunes, iphanes, phones, smartphones, dumbphones, protophones, goggles, reality augmenters, wristwatches, electronic puppies, robots, vacuum cleaners, and tons of other small and tiny trinkets and toys that are flooding the market.
"But they've got computers inside!"
Great. Then why not cover the pages with refrigerators? Hey, water flossers might have computers inside. Even microbiology lab autoclaves do!

In my opinion, if you're making a COMPUTER magazine you gotta talk "mainly" about COMPUTERS. That is, those things which consist in a central processing unit (the main body of a laptop or the chassis of a desktop or tower computer), a monitor, and one or more control input device. Then you can talk a lot about its inner components, cards, expansions, its peripherals, and hardware/software, heck even games.
And I'm excluding the bloody tablets from the family.

If you, on the contrary, fill up your magazine with toys, then it's not a computer magazine, just change the damn name. Call it "electronics" magazine, or "technology" magazine.

What are your thoughts guys?

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I get the feeling that this forum is becoming a testing ground for AI..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 29, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

I get the feeling that this forum is becoming a testing ground for AI..

It is, oh bother! Erm, can anyone point me in the direction of a Turing Test crib sheet? Just asking for a friend (honest).

Reply 3 of 29, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The computer market is so much broader than it used to be, that a magazine focusing only on traditional desktops and laptops would have to be specifically designated for that purpose. "Traditional Desktops and Laptops Magazine (TM)" or something.

But I swear I've seen magazines that do this.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 29, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe you meant "personal computers", because the "computer" you speak of is merely only one type of computer. Those tiny ARM CPUs that run tablets/IoT devices/smart-fridges/etc are no different in their basic function (solve mathematical equations accurately at high speed; e.g. "compute" stuff) than the mostly x86-architecture chips that power our PCs. For that reason, all of those non-PCs that nonetheless contain a CPU ought to be fair game for a "computer magazine".

Not that I read such magazines anymore, but these are just my thoughts on this.

Reply 7 of 29, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

people still buy magazines?
Some of you guys are truly retro indeed!

u kidding man? The thrill of browsing awaited next issue of the magazine was priceless. An extinct beast

Reply 8 of 29, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ahh magazines.. sometimes i page through the few 1993-1994 era pc mags i have a copy of. Great ads.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 9 of 29, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I saw a fridge ad in a computer magazine that wasn't part of a CPU cooler I would through it out or burn it. Thankfully I never have.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 10 of 29, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doaks80 wrote:

If I saw a fridge ad in a computer magazine that wasn't part of a CPU cooler I would through it out or burn it. Thankfully I never have.

But you did already!!! Just open any "computer" (e)Magazine and you'll find plenty of pages advertising (or reviewing) plenty of pseudo-"refrigerators"-with-computers-inside, where for 'pseudo-"refrigerators"' I mean anything that is not really a computer, but that ended up in the magazine just because it has a computer inside. Few examples:

• Wrist watches: they're not computers. They're wrist watches. With computers inside.
• Smartphones: they're not computers. They're phones which, thanks to the computer they have inside, they're kind of smart.
• iPods: they're not computers. They're music players, kind of like the old days cassette-tape players. With computers inside now.
• Kindle: it's not a computer. It's a book. With a computer inside.
• Wrist fitness trackers: man I hate those!

BeginnerGuy wrote:

Ahh magazines.. sometimes i page through the few 1993-1994 era pc mags i have a copy of. Great ads.

Exactly!!! Oh man, 1993-1994 is perfect!
The only copies I could find from sellers were from 1995.

Reply 11 of 29, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aries-mu wrote:
But you did already!!! Just open any "computer" (e)Magazine and you'll find plenty of pages advertising (or reviewing) plenty of […]
Show full quote

But you did already!!! Just open any "computer" (e)Magazine and you'll find plenty of pages advertising (or reviewing) plenty of pseudo-"refrigerators"-with-computers-inside, where for 'pseudo-"refrigerators"' I mean anything that is not really a computer, but that ended up in the magazine just because it has a computer inside. Few examples:

• Wrist watches: they're not computers. They're wrist watches. With computers inside.
• Smartphones: they're not computers. They're phones which, thanks to the computer they have inside, they're kind of smart.
• iPods: they're not computers. They're music players, kind of like the old days cassette-tape players. With computers inside now.

All my computers magazine are from the early to mid-late 90s and I can surely say I have never seen any of the above in any of them.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 12 of 29, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doaks80 wrote:
aries-mu wrote:
But you did already!!! Just open any "computer" (e)Magazine and you'll find plenty of pages advertising (or reviewing) plenty of […]
Show full quote

All my computers magazine are from the early to mid-late 90s and I can surely say I have never seen any of the above in any of them.

Exactly! When computer magazines were computer magazines

Reply 13 of 29, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a while computer magazines were the only place to see what new gear was out and get some slightly unbiased reviews of the hardware and software.

Some of the very early Windows benchmarking software came from magazines (PC magazine Winstone, Winbench).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 18 of 29, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote on 2019-01-22, 23:07:

For a while computer magazines were the only place to see what new gear was out and get some slightly unbiased reviews of the hardware and software.

Some of the very early Windows benchmarking software came from magazines (PC magazine Winstone, Winbench).

Yeah, in the "news" or "what's new" or "what's coming" or something like that section. A few pages-long section in a whole magazine of hundreds of pages dedicated to real computer things. Now it's the other way around. If you can still find a computer magazine, it'll be mostly weird toys and stuff, and a little bit "computers".

Reply 19 of 29, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think what has kind of happened is Computer Magazines are trying to legitimize their purpose by twisting the "branding" a little bit. "Hey, it's got a computer in it, let's write about it". Because nobody wants to hear about a pile of frighteningly similar PCs or the brand new yet-same-old Apple only 1/4 of the population can truly afford.

In the old days, because of broken barriers...the 640K Barrier, the 32-bit barrier, the 528MB HDD Barrier......getting actual full motion video on a PC with synced up and not-ear-raping quality sound...there was always some new exciting thing whether it was 3D shutter glasses or a laptop with a pen and touch screen that could be flipped over into a Tablet.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/