Common searches

Reply 20 of 26, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
sf78 wrote:

Not that I'm easily offended, but I disliked the dog reference. PC hardware is just junk that comes and goes, you throw it away and get something new and that's that. There's nothing to feel about it.

You sir, are apparently not a real vogoner or PC enthusiast for that matter.

How can you say something so cruel?

Comparing inanimate objects to living things is just wrong. If I had to burn my whole collection and storage to help my dog/kids/wife live a better life I'd torch that shit in seconds.

Reply 21 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sf78 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
sf78 wrote:

Not that I'm easily offended, but I disliked the dog reference. PC hardware is just junk that comes and goes, you throw it away and get something new and that's that. There's nothing to feel about it.

You sir, are apparently not a real vogoner or PC enthusiast for that matter.

How can you say something so cruel?

Comparing inanimate objects to living things is just wrong. If I had to burn my whole collection and storage to help my dog/kids/wife live a better life I'd torch that shit in seconds.

Arguably if you sold them off your dog/wife/kids would have a better life. So if you are truly sincere about this over the top reaction, please go ahead and sell it off, I'm sure they would greatly appreciate the presents you could get them with the money.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22 of 26, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Arguably if you sold them off your dog/wife/kids would have a better life. So if you are truly sincere about this over the top reaction, please go ahead and sell it off, I'm sure they would greatly appreciate the presents you could get them with the money.

I will, but in a few years. I'll use it as a down payment for a house.

Reply 23 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whats the big deal?
I'm reading this and thinking, yeh ok its ready retirement as the daily driver, but not the grave. just easy life
Duel CPU, loads of RAM I think she wants to be your WinXP x64 rig. give's the ol girl an excuse to stay around but if we are honest wont be used much. Better then having to let go altogether though right?

but I'll give you a F for the end of an era

Reply 24 of 26, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tax return has been spent!

gonna resell my old parts so I cna buy a nvme drive and a gtx 1660ti , but until then I got the following:

mobo: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboa … /C600/X9DAE.cfm Supermicro X9DAE
CPU (x2): http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon … -2643%20v2.html Intel Xeon E5-2643 V2
RAM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183706909402 (times EIGHT)
And $100 in cpu coolers.

power supply and gpu will be carried over and I'll be running on a spinning rust drive for a bit, but its all looking up!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 25 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really think you did yourself a disservice by not waiting for Ryzen 3.. A single 12 core 24 thread Ryzen 3700 clocked to 4.5+ will cost (at around ~$300) less than half of what you probably paid for these and have much, much better performance thanks to better IPC and DDR4..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26 of 26, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know there are "better" options.

I'm sure the Germans have a 30-letter word for it, but I want a dual-cpu system. I briefly entertained a newer system (a v3 or v4) but they are still being made and nobody is really selling them cheap yet. I'm actually pushing the envelope here with this gen1 2011 system. Quite a bit of my gaming (outside dosbox) is civ6, the way I paly civ6, it REALLY likes cpu power.

Plus, with this setup, I have 128gb of ram. more than plenty to drop any "AAA" title into a ramdisk.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.