VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi everyone !

I don't really know where to make this proposal, this might especially interest the admins (or not, just do what you want 😁).

I'm a moderator on a originally French website about retro computing essentially made around phpbb (the same forum engine vogons uses), and one of the administrator decided few years ago to create a new style to make it compatible with older navigators.

This is the style in question : https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2412071

What can I say ... Except that it works REALLY well. You can entirely view the website and use it like anybody would do without needing to under ie5 from Windows 98, old versions of Firefox, etc.

If you want to experience it in real conditions, just come here with your old rig and you'll see http://www.win3x.org/win3board/index.php ^^

So if you ever want to expand the backward compatibility of vogons to older systems, this works very well (I was even able to use it under Windows 3.11 with IE4 and DOS with DilloDos)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have any problems browsing the current VOGONS with old versions of Firefox. What's the difference and exactly HOW old do you want the browser to be?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 13, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea, same here... I've posted on here from various Windows 95 Socket 7 boxes without any issues.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 3 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anything older than Firefox 1.0 breaks drastically - although you might still be able to login and post, the formatting will look horrible.

For example:

• Netscape Navigator 3 and 4
  • Internet Explorer 3 (probably 4 and maybe 5 as well)
  • Links DOS port
  • Arachne in DOS
  • Any text-based browser

All of these will have terrible formatting issues trying to display Vogons. Basically everything gets dumped out into a vertical column in a non-readable fashion.

I am in favor of further legacy support, more than Vogons already has, but I understand how much work it would be for the admins to do that.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

VERY OLD GAMES ON NEW SYSTEMS!!! I really see no need for it!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ This. Dino hardware is only one part of VOGONS (Marvin) and not even part of the board's original intent.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I'm not telling what you should do or not to do, I'm just informing you it exists ^^

As for old navigators I can definitely say that any ie up to ie6 is broken with vogons. Posts are overlapping one another thus making the board unusable. And you can't install Firefox on windows 3 or DOS as well ...

As far as I know, this doesn't break any compatibility, it just expands it further, so those who don't need it won't notice it.

Anyways, do what you think is the best ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The outcome of this thread is ironic considering that the purpose of this forum explicitly involves using obsolete software and/or hardware.

Reply 10 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Deksor wrote:

As far as I know, this doesn't break any compatibility, it just expands it further, so those who don't need it won't notice it.

Anyways, do what you think is the best ^^

But it's work for very little gain. In an age when you have a superior browser in your pocket, why use this old crap?

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NCSA Mosaic is the superior browser, obviously.

“What, you’re using Internet Explorer 3.0? Nooooooob! CSS is a fad!”

Reply 12 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What work ? The style is finished and you can even choose to not use it in the user control panel if you want. The only "work" to do is to install it (and maybe tweak the colours to match the theme)

Reply 13 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Second part of my message still holds true 😉