VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 600 of 739, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That looks delicious. I love crab. Unfortunately I am terrible at cooking. Can just about use the microwave, am scared of the stove/oven. Had too many mishaps with forgetting things are in it. Even cooking something like a steak I seem to under or over do it.

Had frogs legs the other day, get them from the fishmonger. BTW they don't have the skin on. They're like really succulent chicken wings, without the skin. Got a fantastic fishmonger here. Prawns from tiny shrimps to the size of a small lobster. 3 types of crab, all sorts of shellfish. Along with all sorts of fish from cod to dover-sole and halibut. Anyone else like shellfish?

Edit: BTW did you actually use crab? If I tried to make it I'd probably stumble at the stage after cracking open the crab, at which point i'd just eat the crab:-)

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 601 of 739, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mR_Slug wrote on 2021-09-14, 20:21:

That looks delicious. I love crab. Unfortunately I am terrible at cooking. Can just about use the microwave, am scared of the stove/oven. Had too many mishaps with forgetting things are in it. Even cooking something like a steak I seem to under or over do it.

Had frogs legs the other day, get them from the fishmonger. BTW they don't have the skin on. They're like really succulent chicken wings, without the skin. Got a fantastic fishmonger here. Prawns from tiny shrimps to the size of a small lobster. 3 types of crab, all sorts of shellfish. Along with all sorts of fish from cod to dover-sole and halibut. Anyone else like shellfish?

Edit: BTW did you actually use crab? If I tried to make it I'd probably stumble at the stage after cracking open the crab, at which point i'd just eat the crab:-)

Use canned crab (lump/shredded, whatever you prefer) as you are going to mix it in cream cheese, a little green onion. salt, pepper and sugar. Save some of the crab juice in the can for extra flavoring. Wrap that mix in wonton wrappers and fry in peanut oil. Dip in a hot pepper sauce. Fairly easy and cheap to make. Yummy.

Reply 602 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oof.. I wish I could get proper crab where I live. When we where visiting my wife's grandmother in California some years ago we went up the coast and ended up at a place called Barbara's Fish Trap in Half Moon Bay. Had a great blue crab sandwich there. The only way to get crab here is by ordering frozen one's on the internet but they are very expensive. I got some canned crab from the supermarket a while ago and it was atroscious. Maybe a shopping trip to France or Belgium could solve this one...

Anyway, I'm having just some regular black filter coffee at my desk right now and a fresh pain au chocolat from a nearby French bakery. Very good stuff.

Reply 603 of 739, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
henryVK wrote on 2021-09-15, 11:08:

Oof.. I wish I could get proper crab where I live. When we where visiting my wife's grandmother in California some years ago we went up the coast and ended up at a place called Barbara's Fish Trap in Half Moon Bay. Had a great blue crab sandwich there. The only way to get crab here is by ordering frozen one's on the internet but they are very expensive. I got some canned crab from the supermarket a while ago and it was atroscious. Maybe a shopping trip to France or Belgium could solve this one...

Anyway, I'm having just some regular black filter coffee at my desk right now and a fresh pain au chocolat from a nearby French bakery. Very good stuff.

Canned crab is good for recipes that involve mixtures like Crab Rangoon. I think of it like a concentrate. Take anchovy paste for instance. Normally you would not squirt that on your tongue directly unless you like a super strong dead fish taste. Yet, if you stick anchovy paste in a salad it brings out the flavors of all the vegetables like in a Caesar salad. It definitely is not for eating straight out of the can imo. Although, I am sure some people like it. Using fresh crab for Crab Rangoon usually will result in a recipe that just tastes like cream cheese since fresh crab is so mild in taste. Everything has its place if used properly. I've been to Half Moon Bay. Nice area. Just south of one of my favorite California beaches to watch surfers, Pacifica State Beach. Can't beat the coastal towns for fresh seafood.

Last edited by liqmat on 2021-09-16, 15:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 604 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm... thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I do love anchovies but I use whole filets and I spend a bit more on them because I think that the expensive ones somehow taste better. But they definitely are a concentrate or flavouring rather than something you eat straight (except on pizza, obviously).

Speaking of anchovies, yesterday I made Spaghetti alla puttanesca and, man, do I love that stuff. I use kalamata olives and capers, which I fry in the pan until they get some colour before adding the anchovies, garlic and herbes de provence. The power move, I recently discovered, is pouring some of the kalamata olive brine into the sauce after you add the tomatoes.

Reply 605 of 739, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
henryVK wrote on 2021-09-15, 14:20:

Hmmm... thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I do love anchovies but I use whole filets and I spend a bit more on them because I think that the expensive ones somehow taste better. But they definitely are a concentrate or flavouring rather than something you eat straight (except on pizza, obviously).

Speaking of anchovies, yesterday I made Spaghetti alla puttanesca and, man, do I love that stuff. I use kalamata olives and capers, which I fry in the pan until they get some colour before adding the anchovies, garlic and herbes de provence. The power move, I recently discovered, is pouring some of the kalamata olive brine into the sauce after you add the tomatoes.

I actually started using the paste on pizza as well when I got enough of those tiny razor sharp bones stuck in my throat.

Reply 606 of 739, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-13, 23:50:

When life gives you lemons, make traditional lemon curd

My daughter and I did just this + scones and whipped cream, was a hit. Must have been a good year for lemons around here, people are leaving boxes of them out the front of their house with "please take me" signs 😁

IMG_6483.jpg
Filename
IMG_6483.jpg
File size
515.82 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_6480.jpg
Filename
IMG_6480.jpg
File size
838.08 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 607 of 739, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2021-09-16, 06:47:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-13, 23:50:

When life gives you lemons, make traditional lemon curd

My daughter and I did just this + scones and whipped cream, was a hit. Must have been a good year for lemons around here, people are leaving boxes of them out the front of their house with "please take me" signs 😁

IMG_6483.jpg IMG_6480.jpg

Awesome, I'm salivating. ... just gotta cross my fingers that commercial lemon growing areas had similar luck and I can pick up a bag at the grocery store cheap in a while to make some myself.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 608 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got some more pictures of my food....

Kebab/bacon pizza with salad and dressing on top. The pizza sauce are easy to make. Just blended tomato/oinions/garlic/spices and added a bit of olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper.

KebabSaladPizza.jpg
Filename
KebabSaladPizza.jpg
File size
295.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Meatballs in curry with rice. The ball's are made from pork and simmered in water, the sauce is a bechamel based one, were the nutmeg is replaced with yellow sweet curry.

MeatballsCurrySauce.jpg
Filename
MeatballsCurrySauce.jpg
File size
171.63 KiB
Views
File license

Rosemary chicken legs. A lot of salt, rosemary and black pepper before roasted in the oven.

RosemaryChicken.jpg
Filename
RosemaryChicken.jpg
File size
197.8 KiB
Views
File license

Sausage mix. That is french fries and raw onions plus chuncks of different sausages that were roasted in olive oil and a tiny bit of yellow curry. Eaten with ketchup on top. Using yellow curry, emitates the taste a deep fryer.

SausageMix.jpg
Filename
SausageMix.jpg
File size
325.2 KiB
Views
File license

Taco salad....

TacoSalad.jpg
Filename
TacoSalad.jpg
File size
217.87 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by brostenen on 2021-09-16, 13:40. Edited 3 times in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 609 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And then a German inspired thing. BBQ Frankfurters, wrapped in bacon and baked in the oven. Both normal ketchup and curry ketchup on top.

curry-bacon-wurst.jpg
Filename
curry-bacon-wurst.jpg
File size
123.81 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 610 of 739, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2021-09-16, 13:29:

And then a German inspired thing. BBQ Frankfurters, wrapped in bacon and baked in the oven. Both normal ketchup and curry ketchup on top.

curry-bacon-wurst.jpg

Some altbier to that... 😀

Reply 611 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2021-09-16, 15:20:

curry-bacon-wurst.jpg

Some altbier to that... 😀

I prefer an Ale with licourise. One that is a bit sweet and have a red'ish brown color to it. 😀

EDIT:
This is my favorite beer... (photo from stock-photos from the web)

It is so good, that you can drink it on it's own. Drink it to all type of food except sea food and you can drink it to get drunk.

49166575827_5fcd66226e_b.jpg

Reply 613 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2021-09-16, 16:03:

Not available in Sweden it seems.. 😒

You just have to get across the border and visit a Fakta. That shop carry this brand. I will write the next in Danish.

Det er en øl fra Fyn, og jeg er faldet over lige dette mærke som det bedste allround.
Men hold dig fra deres lager, den smager ikke godt. Labelen ligner til forveksling, så pas på.
Deres jule ale var helt fænomenal og i top. Lidt mere bær/frugt og sødme og stærkere. 😉

Or you can buy the beer here, if you can not get it in any other way....
The price is 6,75 DKR above price in the shops. The bad part is that I can not find any shipping info, and I don't know about import fee.

Reply 614 of 739, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

curry-bacon-wurst.jpg

Ah yes, in German class at school it was drummed into us that it was absolutely vital for the safety of our tastebuds that we never just asked for soße in Germany and environs, otherwise we would likely be subjected to curry sauce. Always, always ask mit tomaten ketchup just to be sure, we were warned. 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 615 of 739, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A nice cappa coffee this morning. My weekly treat when herindoors goes grocery shopping, that and a packet of gummy bears....😉

Just about to put the morning rolled oats on.

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_073555.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210918_073555.jpg
    File size
    193.12 KiB
    Views
    File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 616 of 739, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gummy bears and other yummy things.....

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_093313.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210921_093313.jpg
    File size
    280.08 KiB
    Views
    File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 617 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-20, 21:35:

Gummy bears and other yummy things.....

Those chips look old. Be carefull when eating. 😁

Reply 618 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since we're headed for Autumn here in central Europe, I'm eating seasonally appropriate Aachener Printen. This is a type of gingerbread seasoned with "a variety of ingredients including cinnamon, aniseed, clove, cardamom, coriander, allspice and also ginger", however, the English Wikipedia article fails to mention what I find is pretty much universally true for the store-bought kind of Printen: they contain chunks of brown rock candy.

These are not only delightful on their own (with coffee or tea) but are also used to season the marinade for Rhenish Sauerbraten and provide the sweet/spicy counterpoint to the marinade's redwine/vinegar base.

Reply 619 of 739, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
henryVK wrote on 2021-09-21, 12:20:

Since we're headed for Autumn here in central Europe, I'm eating seasonally appropriate Aachener Printen. This is a type of gingerbread seasoned with "a variety of ingredients including cinnamon, aniseed, clove, cardamom, coriander, allspice and also ginger", however, the English Wikipedia article fails to mention what I find is pretty much universally true for the store-bought kind of Printen: they contain chunks of brown rock candy.

These are not only delightful on their own (with coffee or tea) but are also used to season the marinade for Rhenish Sauerbraten and provide the sweet/spicy counterpoint to the marinade's redwine/vinegar base.

One of my great weaknesses is German food. I just love it. There is this tiny German restaurant I would go to in my hometown and the super nice German lady who owned it would make this amazing homemade plum cake. I could get very fat eating that so I never learned the recipe. 🤣