VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Alahndro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hy vogons,

I often come across your boards and read about the fun of tinkering with hardware and computers. This is a fine place and a great community!

Let me introduce myself:
I'm love to tinker with any kind of technology that works and interacts and also to learn about it.
My main fun PC consists of a dual P3-700 onside a ASUS P2B-DS.
Connected are f.e. an 4G IDE Stramer, 72GB DAT Streamer (scsi), CD and DVD-RW drives, 3,5 and 5,25 and 120M floppy, Zip-parallel drive via ISA-LPT adapter card, ISA ISDN Card to fiddle with my self-generated ISDN-system and a lot more. Dual-head setup conneted to a nvidia 6200 AGP card.
Main Storage is a 64GB SSD Disk-On-Module sitting on a Via-6421 based pci-card, that I made bootable myself by fixing its onboard fake eeprom (but that'll be another story).
Installed OSes are ReactOS, XP, Win7. Yeah I'm a hardware tester for ReactOS (just query my username there)

So and now comes my Idea for an CPU adapter to revive old motherboards. I'm hoping to raise a discussion for it and maybe even find some pal's to help build it if possible:

You noticed the maximum OS currently is Win7 and even that has become quite problematic due to M$ arrogant behavior of outputting new updates without checking if the CPU is capable of their fucking lazy programmers code requiring SSE2.

Yeah I'm quite angry about that! I mean I could accept it if they'd admit their too lazy or greedy to support old and perfectly working PCs. PCs and Laptops I like not just for their inner values! But the recommended settings for updates will just cripple any old machine into a black screen.

And no SSE2 for old cpus and boards. I want to change that! Why are there no more cpu adapter cards like in the good old times?
I wondered if there'd be some kind of compatibility that might make that possible. And I think I found one:

Recently I've read the datasheet of the Atom N270 cpu when I stumbled over its interface specs:
The logic is AGTL+. You know which other famous CPU has AGTL+: yeah P3-Tualatin!
I then remmebered the old slot1-T adapter that made it possible to put tualatins into slot1, and that they contained bus-transceivers to adapt the different bus voltages of AGTL+ and AGTL thats used for prior P3s. So lets compare the specs of a P3 and an Atom cpu. It has:
32 address lines
64 data lines
clock input for 100 or 133 MHz
various control signals, like reset , power ok, bus request and ack, etc etc.

The most important diff is that the bus speed is quad pumped compared to the old P3. But checking the atom-pins we find a few data strobes for the address and data lines needed to sync the transmission. These are INPUT signals that get issued by the north bridge! Thinking about it, it gets clear they run quad-pumped too, but do they REALLY NEED TO? What if we derive these strobe from the master clock and underclock the bus transciever logic of the atom cpu so it gets compatible with the old northbridge?

Computers in the end is just a matter of setting the address and read or write data. nothing more, nothing less. (And everyone saying ISA cards can't operate in Win7 just doesn't understand this simple fact!)

I think it'd be possible to built a slot-1 pcb that contains the atom cpu, the bus transceiver and of course the dc-dc converter to supply the rather low power needed for the atom. Of course me might arise a few problems from the bios but that too is not unfixable! (At least easier that getting the source code of windows so we could modify it to run without SSE2)

VOILA! We could get a SSE2+ cpu running onboard an P2/3 motherboard.

I know I'm a litte crazy for that idea...
(Heck, we could even place mutliple atom cpu's onto one slot 1 pcb cause agtl-bus is a parellel one. read it up!)

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting concept.... but why would you ever want to run a piece of trash ATOM with Windows 7?

We had some of those here for media displays and they arte just to insanely slow to run pretty much anything with Windows 7.

XP MIGHT be ok, but that is the absolute newest OS I would run on one of those old ATOM CPUs.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 11, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

Atom should run DOS only. Change my mind

I disagree.
N270 is old.
Modern Atoms are about the performance class of Xeon E56xx or Phenom II X6 1100, at a small fraction of power usage.
Definitely able to run energy-efficient modern servers and power laptops.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-At … C3858/614vs3287

Reply 5 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retardware wrote:

I disagree.

I was joking haha. I don't know enough about Atoms to have a real opinion 🤣

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 6 of 11, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 Some of the newer Atoms aren't bad. I use them in Supermicro 1U server chassis to run moderate loads in small spaces with less fan noise. They can EASILY handle a virtualized firewall and Windows Server instance. Maybe SD-WAN too. Makes for a decent branch office network stack that fits in a small rack with 15" depth.

Gaming PC - maybe not. Old-school gaming PC though, certainly.

Reply 7 of 11, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never seen a Pentium3 with DDR2. N270 only supports DDR2 or DDR3, I think. Are DDR and DDR2 similar enough to overcome that hurdle?

What about VIA Nano? - it is supposedly pin compatible with C7/C3, of course I've never seen one that is not embedded. Might have better luck with that approach.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 8 of 11, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Diamondville Intel Atoms used the QDR Pentium 4/Pentium M/Core 2 FSB interface which also uses AGTL+ which would make it incompatible with the SDR FSB of the Pentium 3 and even if you manage to do that, the very slow SDR FSB will cripple Atom's performance to death making it even slower than the fastest CPUs the P2B can officially handle (the n270 as is has already worse IPC than any Pentium III or even the Pentium 4), plus serious bios modding is needed for microcode and even trying go get hyperthreading working if that is even posible.

Also Atom isn't dual CPU capable from what i know

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 9 of 11, by Alahndro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. Maybe I should change the threads title and replace the Atom with another general CPU...

The idea still bullies my mind. I do admit that the Atom is not a performance CPU and the biggest problem that I see is the fact that it only is available in BGA wihtout pins to be soldered directly to the pcb. I'd like to use a cpu that can be socketed and i just stumpled upon the pentium M with its 479 socket

Some answers to above posting:
Memory: Doesn't care the cpu. It just sets address and r/w data. The compliance to the memory type/protocoll is the task of the Northbridge, not the cpu's
FSB-Type: The only difference between AGTL and AGTL+ is the level voltage, read the datasheets!. Slot-1 adapters for the Tualatin used level shifting ICs to adapt this.
Clock-Speed: gets issued by the northbridge too, and it doesn't care the cpu when and how fast the transmission on the bus is. Think of throttling. P3s sync the data transmission to the base clock, pentium 4 and later sync upon the data strobes signal that run 4-fold, but TO NOT HAVE TO. If the edge rises the data is valid, point!

The only thing i need too find out is the type of the level shifters and how to design the power supply. Gonna look on some scrap boards and see what can be found....

Reply 10 of 11, by Alahndro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just made a comparison excel sheet from the datasheets of Pentium 3, Pentium M and Atom. I haven't checked newer CPUs than these but think Core and Core2 are too comptabile
All use AGTL+ with 2/3 ref level. P3 and M use the same 1,5V for Vtt, Atom use 1.1V. I'd choose Pentium M as these use sockets.

Datasheet tells us that the Address and Data lines are "Source Synced" - to the strobes. Every other signal is directly compatible to P3s. No level shifters needed!
All that's left to figure out is a proper power supply and how to interface the VIDs.

I can link the excel file if interested.

Reply 11 of 11, by Alahndro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mhh, I just did a last check and saw that I forgot one signal type: DINV[3:0]#

DINV[3:0]# (Data Bus Inversion) are source synchronous and indicate the polarity of the D[63:0]# signals. The DINV[3:0]# signals […]
Show full quote

DINV[3:0]# (Data Bus Inversion) are source synchronous and indicate the
polarity of the D[63:0]# signals. The DINV[3:0]# signals are activated when the
data on the data bus is inverted. The bus agent will invert the data bus signals if
more than half the bits, within the covered group, would change level in the next
cycle.

Sadly it's an IN and OUT signal. That's a blocker. Shit!