VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never again. My bid was much higher than the final ending bid, but it bugged out telling me I was outbid. 🙁

Reply 2 of 56, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't generally bid on computer parts. I scored a good deal on a voodoo 3500 once, but most of the time auctioned items go for within 10$ at best of their "buy now" counter parts. I think ego bidding has a lot to do with that.

Reply 3 of 56, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I usually bid early and try and grab things at a good price if there is no other interest in the item.

Otherwise I bid within the last 5 minutes or so with a solid bid, if someone else wants to outbid me for something, so be it, I probably wasn't going to go that high anyway.

Reply 5 of 56, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wouldn't want my ebay credentials shared with a 3rd party service...

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 6 of 56, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll just put an outrageous max bid that I'm comfortable with and see if anyone outbids me along the run. If they do, they clearly want it more than I do and I'm fine with that.

Reply 7 of 56, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

gixen.com - that is all.

This to the power of 100.

I too was a bit wary about using bid snipers, in part because of the

psychz wrote:

excuse, but at some point I understood that it's just the only system that makes sense for a buyer. Anything else drives the price up as psychology gets into play.

I don't participate in many auctions, but Gixen has never failed me, not even once - in the sense that Gixen never failed to place a bid for me, and that no one ever successfully outbid my snipe.

All the auctions I did not win were because someone had a higher bid programmed in before Gixen tried to snipe. Of the auctions I won, most of them were substantially under my max bid.

Gixen is trusted, and the system is now changed that you don't even need to give them your credentials:
https://www.gixen.com/faq.php

Do I have to give away my eBay credentials?

No. This used to be the case, but as of August 2017, you need to register Gixen.com username and password, and authorize Gixen.com to place bids for you on eBay. You can withdraw this authorization at any time in your eBay MyAccount settings, or on Gixen settings page. While Gixen has no way of enforcing this, it is wise for security reasons that your Gixen password is different than your eBay password, especially if you choose the same Gixen username as is your eBay username.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 56, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
psychz wrote:

You don't share your eBay login with Gixen. You have a separate login for Gixen and then it goes through the eBay app backend after you approve the app on your eBay account.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 56, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gixen.com? Seem's kind of and a bit ethical shady. Do eBay aprove?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11 of 56, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sf78 wrote:

I'll just put an outrageous max bid that I'm comfortable with and see if anyone outbids me along the run. If they do, they clearly want it more than I do and I'm fine with that.

+1

That's how I roll.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 56, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ebay is a blind-auction service these days. If you don't place your final offer bid in the last 6 seconds, you're just increasing the price that someone else pays. There's no point at all in bidding before then. It's not a great system, but it is the system we have. At least it cuts down on those last-second "I only wanted to pay X for it, but I got outbid so I guess I'll throw another $100 at it" reactions. You get one shot.

Reply 13 of 56, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It really doesn't matter that much really how you bid on ebay.

If it is a hotly contested item (voodoo 5, awe32), then it will sell for far more then you expect. If people aren't really hot on it, you have a good chance of scoring it at the minimum price.

Reply 14 of 56, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

Gixen.com? Seem's kind of and a bit ethical shady. Do eBay aprove?

Yeah.. their system goes through the eBay app back end.

And why do you think it is shady? Do you have time to always watch, much less remember to watch your bids in the last 10 seconds of the auction?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 56, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if everybody or a large proportion of users start using it then it becames the same as autobid but executed in the last 6 seconds, whoever enters the largest sniper bid wins anyway

Reply 16 of 56, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a good way to not forget to make a bid. If someone is willing to pay more, his (higher) bid will always win anyway. But this way there are no crazy price hikes early on and ending price might not reach some insane values. I always roll my eyes when I see two guys fight over who will be the highest bidder like 6 days before the auction ends 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 17 of 56, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote:

Never again. My bid was much higher than the final ending bid, but it bugged out telling me I was outbid. 🙁

Every. Damn. Time. For me.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18 of 56, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

don't worry, you don't know what their autobid was it might of been higher then yours, gotta keep cheering yourself up that way