VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Making this post from my main laptop running Linux Mint - except my laptop is in another city right now. I'm remoteing into it using TightVNC, on my IBM Thinkpad 600E running Windows 98SE. Woah!

I think this is pretty cool.

It's somewhat slow to load large windows, but other than that it's okay.

Also I am doing this over WiFi... with WPA2 Enterprise security.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrau wrote:

WPA2 Enterprise security. - how?

Any RT2561-based card can do this, you just have to change a setting in the registry to force it.

Update: surprise, turns out it's a very bad idea to use VNC with no password open over the internet, when your router has a domain name. Total facepalm moment for me.

I glanced over at my laptop to see a hacker trying to get into my PayPal account. I Alt-F4'd the machine into oblivion before he could do anything, so boy am I a lucky man, and stupid to boot.

After checking my router logs there was also some IP address from China trying to brute force the SSH on my little Raspberry Pi fileserver. I disabled both services until I can get a good firewall going.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 7, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

What? From your phone? What kind of phone has a computer in it?!

Technically, a phone is a type of computer. But I doubt they're the type of "computers" that can do what you explain in this topic.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 6 of 7, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that was supposed to be sarcasm. But, while they won't be a VNC server (there's no desktop environment to VNC into), they can absolutely be a VNC client. I use mine for this.

Suggestion for the OP: You might want to look into setting up a VPN. I've been meaning to do this for a while so I can use the iOS / Mac OS native VPN client to connect to my home network and access anything I could while at home. As long as the VPN is set up securely, that would be preferable to opening up a bunch of services (SSH, VNC, etc.) to the Internet.

Reply 7 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

I disabled both services until I can get a good firewall going.

https://www.ipfire.org/

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks