VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-850-p2- … N82E16817438056

Was teleworking on my work laptop when I noticed a burning smell and the sound of my desktop reseting. Switched my KVM to the desktop and no video signal. Noticed a "00" code on my motherboard and the smell seemed to be coming from the PSU but could be deceptive. Mobo, 10GB NIC, GPU all had power but no video signal and the "00" code. Decided it was the PSU so I ordered a CORSAIR RMx Series, RM1000x PSU, overkill but what the hell.

Spent forever removing all the evga modular cables and replacing them with the corsair ones and the desktop powered right back up with no signs of damage.

Guess I'll see if it's worth doing an RMA on this thing. They'll likely send a refurb though.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RMA it. At least you will have a spare PSU then.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 18, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That kind of stuff is what gets me worried sometimes, when it comes to buying something and then, the minute I try it out, I see that I really don't need it after all. Then I get a little worried because I wouldn't know what to do with something I spent my money on, and I don't really like having items just lay around 😖

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 3 of 18, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK, EVGA and Corsair buy their PSUs from Seasonic.
And Seasonic is usually good.

Edit: I might be wrong on the EVGA buys from Seasonic part.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 4 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Solarstorm wrote:

Seasonic is basically a competitor to Delta.

Sorry for your loss, hopefully the machine is fine, but it sounds like you just got unlucky.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 18, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some evga supplies, all good so far. Generally the decent brands last a long time and if they do blow they don't take the rest of the system with them.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

I have some evga supplies, all good so far. Generally the decent brands last a long time and if they do blow they don't take the rest of the system with them.

Any PSU failure entirely fixed by a new PSU is a good PSU failure .

Reply 7 of 18, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's quite new then I'm a bit surprised as EVGA is usually considered a quality brand. I'd check the PSU insides with a light to see if anything looks burned. Obviously if it's under warranty no need to open it, but I'd rather just try to repair the damage than take another one that might blow up later.

Reply 8 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Solarstorm wrote:

I believe the P2 series is based on Superflower's platform. Superflower is on par with Seasonic, among the best in the business. I recommend reaching out to EVGA about a replacement.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Corsair have their own stinkers as well, although their units made by Flextronics are absolutely top flight.

Reply 13 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always get a kick out of things like this. ONE psu goes nuclear, and so many of you people act like its the second coming and the world's about to end.

It's as if people don't realize that there will ALWAYS be a certain percentage of failed units, and the probability goes up with usage/time/moon phases.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 14 of 18, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Exactly this. OMG one thing failed, time to make a feeble attempt to run the company out of business.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 16 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote:

Well, I've had 3 video cards that were well taken care of and never overlocked die from them in a row. So I have a bit more bias due to that.

What were the cards?

Reply 17 of 18, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

8800GT, 9800GX2 and 580 3GB , all died almost exactly 2 years from purchase. The 580 was never pushed hard at all, since I only play older games on it, and I always made sure the cooling was good. Ram went bad in every one of them.

Reply 18 of 18, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You also have to remember that at certain points in time companies used and will use cheap caps and other less reliable components to keep the cost down and in the long (or short) run these tend to fail and cause a lot of commotion online as previously reliable brands are no longer as trustworthy as they were. I know several Corsair CX models that had this problem and I have owned a few myself. Mind you, this series is not their top tier, but it has affected their reputation.