First post, by FuzzyLogic
I finally got around to fixing my teen years 1991 vintage 19" Magnetbox set. This was my main TV until 2009 when I finally got an HD set. And it worked fine until I moved it from one spot on basement's concrete basement floor to another. From then on the screen had a red cast to it.
After watching many shango066 videos on youtube, an learning nothing about how to fix black plastic crap sets, I decided to go for it a few weeks ago. I hoped it was just a broken solder joint. And it was, sort of.
BTW, this TV set was assembled in the U.S. (Tennessee) has all Nichicon caps. Even the tube was made in the USA. The yoke was made in Mexico. Maybe it's a decent black plastic crap set. It does have simulated wood grain.
The solder joint on the collector on the C2482 for the red gun had broken. I reflowed it and it worked for a bit, but it turned red again after a few minutes when the set warmed up.
I ordered a few 2N6517s on digikey, got them, and proceded to desolder. And the damn pads came loose when I did. The area was a bit brown from the transistor heat. Ugh.. I ordered tiny rivets from China to do a "proper" repair. Another week and a half goes by and they arrive in time for the weekend.
The rivets were a bit smaller than I expected and flanging them out took a while. But it'll do as I'm not waiting another two weeks to get the next size up.
Five attachment limit. Continued on next post.