Raspberry Pi 4 is here!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 54, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SPBHM wrote:
kind of curious to see how the windows 10 compatibility projects will evolve, if they had OpenGL working it would be kind of fun […]
Show full quote

kind of curious to see how the windows 10 compatibility projects will evolve, if they had OpenGL working it would be kind of fun,

https://www.inpact-hardware.com/article/1124/ … -microsd-et-usb
this person tested CPUmark99 on windows 10 (x86 on arm emulation) on the pi3 and it scored 45 points on CPUmark99, I think this is like a p3 500 or something
the 4 should be way faster.

but realistically because of shipping costs and tariffs it becomes very expensive for me to import a raspberry pi, the stuff from aliexpress ends up a lot cheaper.

I think around the Athlon XP era alot of DOSBox speed complaints died down but it was really when the Core 2 came out that most of them went away. So don't throw away your desktops just yet.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 41 of 54, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:

That's a good price for a Cortex A53 based STB with 4gb RAM, similar to offerings like the Rock64 from Radxa. However, the CPU architecture is vastly inferior to the SoC on the Pi 4 and you'll probably have less flexibility due to inferior vendor support.

In fact, the quad A72 cores on the Pi 4 should out perform everything but RK3399 based SoCs in other sub 100 USD single board computers (at a significantly lower price). Information on relative GPU performance is scant, although considering the geriatric age of the Mali Utgard and PowerVR cores the budget SoCs from RK and Allwinner have, I wouldn't be surprised if performance suffered there as well.

If RAM is the driving parameter for your application, then maybe you can save a bit of cash going with a different board. On balance, though, I think the Pi 4 will compare favourably in both performance and value with it's competition.

See this link for a capture of the SBC product space as of this spring:
http://linuxgizmos.com/catalog-of-125-open-sp … -hacker-boards/

Note that the stock Pi 4 remains an inferior solution for audio compared to some others due to the choice of a PWM output circuit instead of a PCM DAC (or PWM with a high order LPF at half the Nyquist).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 42 of 54, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get excited when a new Pi is released even though all I do is mess around with it as a toy. I have a 1B+ and a 3B, the 3B is really plenty powerful for exploring Linux and the odd bit of retropi. Musn't buy......

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 43 of 54, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:

I get excited when a new Pi is released even though all I do is mess around with it as a toy. I have a 1B+ and a 3B, the 3B is really plenty powerful for exploring Linux and the odd bit of retropi. Musn't buy......

Same here.. I've got a couple beagle-something-or-other bones ziplocked away with their cables and power-supplies, and I fear my Pi3b will have a similar fate if/when I upgrade to the 4. As I've gotten older, I weigh the waste/loss of value far greater than I used to; so I'm more calculating when I move to the latest and greatest.

None the less, the last ~5 years have been exciting times with the Pi - performance jumps are similar to the 90s in PCs, and I feel some of that same excitement I had back then. It's also fantastic the hardware is tiny and doesn't cost much - and the stability of Linux well beyond what Microsoft offered in the 90s.

Reply 44 of 54, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote:

I have 3 3Bs to play with but the H265 decoding will probably get me to buy one to replace my new 3B Librelec box nonetheless. The other two are currently in use as a hidden wifi nanny-cam and a MUNT-Pi. I would probably end up bringing the spare 3B to work and plugging it into my 30" workstation monitor to play retro games in the afterhours.. 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 45 of 54, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 1B+, 2B, 3B, and 3B+ in my house.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 47 of 54, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, if bills didn't take my paycheck.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 48 of 54, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would like to see a Pi Zero replacement. I have a few running off solar which would benefit from the newer CPU fab.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 49 of 54, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

I have a 1B+, 2B, 3B, and 3B+ in my house.

Scali's right on that! You'll have it all after you get a Pi 4 😀
Anyway, it's great to see that Raspberry finally released a new generation of their line of mini servers (or tiny motherboard-like objects that most people use as servers). They were stuck on number 3 for quite a long time now.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 51 of 54, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's interesting what speed numbers Raspberry 4B has in DOSBox.
(The results of other models can be interesting also.)
The way to compile DOSBox with dynrec support.
How to measure the speed is there.

Details

[as archive.org does not work so I dub the text here]
DOSBox 0.74-3 MSDOS x86 emulator, by Moonmarch
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:13 am

Version 0.74-3 of the DOSBox program was released recently, the previous version of DOSBox was version 0.74-2 if you do not have plans to build the DOSBox source code, you can always install the DOSBox program included in the Debian repository, this is version 0.74 of the DOSBox program:
sudo apt install dosbox
Here is a link to the DOSBox website:
https://www.dosbox.com/
To download the DOSBox source code, open the terminal:
wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/files … x-0.74-3.tar.gz
To unpack the file:
tar -xzf dosbox-0.74-3.tar.gz
Before building the source code you will need to download and install all relevant dependencies from the Debian repository, the list of dependencies needed for the DOSBox program can be found in the INSTALL document located in the dosbox-0.74-3 folder, if you do not install all needed dependencies the program will not compile successfully.
Here are dependencies you will need to compile the source code all other listed dependencies are optional:
sudo apt install autoconf autotools-dev automake libsdl1.2-dev
I'm having difficulties building DOSBox 0.74-3 on Raspbian Buster when I wrote this guide I compiled the DOSBox program with Raspbian Stretch, until this situation is sorted out the SVN build of DOSBox compiles successfully with dynamic recompiler on Raspbian Buster, here are the instructions on how to compile the SVN build of DOSBox:
Install subversion:
sudo apt install subversion
Download the SVN repository:
svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/dosbox/code-0/dosbox/trunk dosbox-code-0
Build the DOSBox SVN program:
cd dosbox-code-0
./autogen.sh
./configure
make -j2
To build the DOSBox 0.74-3 program:
cd dosbox-0.74-3
./autogen.sh
./configure
geany config.h
After opening config.h with Geany here are the lines of code that need to be edited:
Line 37: /* #undef C_CORE_INLINE */
Line 37: #define C_CORE_INLINE 1
Line 51: /* #undef C_DYNREC */
Line 51: #define C_DYNREC 1
Line 91: #define C_TARGETCPU UNKNOWN
Line 91: #define C_TARGETCPU ARMV4LE
Line 94: /* #undef C_UNALIGNED_MEMORY */
Line 94: #define C_UNALIGNED_MEMORY 1
Ctrl + s to save then Ctrl + q to quit, after closing Geany in the terminal run the command:
make -j2
Compiling the program will take at least 15 minutes, to open the program:
cd src
./dosbox

To change the configuration settings open the dosbox-0.74-3.conf or dosbox-SVN.conf file located in /home/pi/.dosbox hidden directory, here are some settings that should be included in the dosbox config file:
[sdl]
windowresolution=640x480
output=surface
[render]
scaler=normal2x
[cpu]
core=auto
cycles=auto
Using different settings can slow down the DOSBox program you can always edit the settings manually core dynamic should be available in the CPU settings, to run the DOSBox program in full screen you will need to enable full KMS drivers in raspi-config.

Games that I tested using the DOSBox emulator all tested games are completely playable:
-Wolfenstein 3D
-Spear of Destiny
-Ultimate Doom
-SimCity 1989
-Dune 2
-Doom 2
-SimCity 2000 Special Edition
-Descent

Update August 21st 2019:
-Added how to build DOSBox SVN explanation
-Miscellaneous improvements
Update August 17th 2019:
-Added dependency list
-Miscellaneous improvements
Update August 12th 2019:
- Added edit config.h explanation
- Miscellaneous improvements

---
= Nightblair's variant =

Download the latest svn version of dosbox here: https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/code-0/HEAD/ … e/dosbox/trunk/
Unpack it somewhere, then in the directory run:
./autogen.sh
./configure --disable-opengl
sed -i 's|/\* #undef C_DYNREC \*/|#define C_DYNREC 1|' config.h
sed -i 's/C_TARGETCPU.*/C_TARGETCPU ARMV7LE/g' config.h
sed -i 's|/\* #undef C_UNALIGNED_MEMORY \*/|#define C_UNALIGNED_MEMORY 1|' config.h
make
make install

Be sure, there was no throttling. Make better cooling if there is it.
Report the DOSBox / SVN build version used.

Last edited by Tertz on 2020-01-26, 02:25. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 52 of 54, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JonathonWyble wrote on 2019-07-02, 23:37:

Scali's right on that! You'll have it all after you get a Pi 4 😀
Anyway, it's great to see that Raspberry finally released a new generation of their line of mini servers (or tiny motherboard-like objects that most people use as servers). They were stuck on number 3 for quite a long time now.

Except everyone needs the Pi CoM, the A+ boards, and the Zero in play. No excuses!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 53 of 54, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pi4 is definitely a welcome addition to the SBC offerings. Performance is really quite good now, and you don't have the garbage Linux driver situation that plagues the Allwinner and Rockchip ecosystems (Android notwithstanding).

I haven't picked one up yet, my 3B+ is still perfectly adequate for my use case, but more choice is always a good thing!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread