VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this is a forum for old computers, but LinusTechTips doesn't seem to be too keen on really helping me with any issues, lately. I know you guys are courteous enough to at least try to help, so that's why I come to bother you so often.

Anyways, this would be a classic "enable XMP (AMD version) in BIOS"- except, I can't. This is a Dell Inspiron 5676, so it's an OEM system- no BIOS options other than passwords and disabling virtualization. The system normally runs its RAM @2400MHz- that's what everything says it supports, anyways. I don't even want to push it to 3000, but I at least want it at 2400. I installed Ryzen Master, however, it won't let me adjust the speed of the memory. It's greyed out, whereas the CPU options are fully open to use. I'm not sure how I could push this RAM to 2400MHz.

One idea I had involved sticking an original 8GB memory module into it that runs at 2400MHz so that the G.Skill would pick that up, but I think the other 8GB stick would just underclock to the same 2134MHz speed as the G.Skill. I'm not aware of any software that could push this RAM to at least 2400MHz. It's G.Skill Ripjaws V, for anybody that's curious.

(Yep, this is the same system where I thought the original PSU detonated and wiped all life from the face of the Earth- which it didn't. I now have a new EVGA 500BQ PSU I'm using. But I also accidentally dropped the Ryzen 5 2600 and bent pins to an irreparable state- So I'm using the Ryzen 5 1400 again. Next paycheck, I get to buy another 2600 for ~US$170. Yay. I'm always so lucky with vintage hardware, but with modern hardware, I am much more prone to damaging it, it seems)

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 4, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try removing the Dell supplied module, that'll tell you if the Dell BIOS is very restrictive on what it'll accept or if it is downclocking due to mixing different types.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 2 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah.. the Dell BIOS isn't going to support the XMP settings.

Without the XMP settings available, you are stuck with whatever the JDEC SPD settings are programmed to on the modules.

Sounds to me like the JDEC SPD settings don't include a 2400 setting and that is why it is dropping back to 2133.

You might be able to flash your RAM to support the higher settings but in doing that you also run the risk of bricking the RAM... Maybe test out on an old stick first?

https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/ … dr4-eeprom.html

http://www.softnology.biz/

Use CPU-Z to look at the SPD settings programmed on the G.Skill RAM. I am betting that there is no 2400 SPD setting.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 4, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BushLin wrote:

Try removing the Dell supplied module, that'll tell you if the Dell BIOS is very restrictive on what it'll accept or if it is downclocking due to mixing different types.

The Dell module was never in there in the first place, that's what I theorized would happen. I've got both G.Skill sticks in there (there's only two slots on the motherboard) for a total of 16GB.

cyclone3d wrote:
Yeah.. the Dell BIOS isn't going to support the XMP settings. […]
Show full quote

Yeah.. the Dell BIOS isn't going to support the XMP settings.

Without the XMP settings available, you are stuck with whatever the JDEC SPD settings are programmed to on the modules.

Sounds to me like the JDEC SPD settings don't include a 2400 setting and that is why it is dropping back to 2133.

You might be able to flash your RAM to support the higher settings but in doing that you also run the risk of bricking the RAM... Maybe test out on an old stick first?

https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/ … dr4-eeprom.html

http://www.softnology.biz/

Use CPU-Z to look at the SPD settings programmed on the G.Skill RAM. I am betting that there is no 2400 SPD setting.

The JDEC settings on this only go from 2036MHz, to 2132MHz. The XMP allows it to go to 3000MHz. I don't want to risk bricking the RAM, but I will see about getting it up to 2400MHz with one of the default sticks before I go any further.

[EDIT]

So, sticking in the 2400MHz stick isn't going to work. It does exactly what I thought it would. I also can't apply any changes I make with Thaiphoon- I'm assuming I'd have to buy some version of it to actually do anything but read the current timings/speeds of the RAM. Even if I could apply the changes, I don't know enough about RAM itself to figure that out. So I guess I'm stuck at 2134MHz. My only choice from here is to figure out how much performance I'll be losing, it seems. Nothing else I can really do.

Where am I?

Reply 4 of 4, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thaiphoon will allow changes to the RAM, but not to RAM with write-protected areas. Among other brands, Hynix write-protects the areas Thaiphoon would need to access to change the SPD options, and there's apparently little you can do to change this from read only to read/write. My RAM uses Hynix chips.

The Dell BIOS is of course locked in such a way as to prevent me from manually bringing the RAM to 2400MHz. I looked it up, and I am apparently losing quite a bit of performance with this reduction in RAM speed. I figured a potential way to get this RAM to where I needed it to be was to try to find a modified BIOS for the system, but all I found was this: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-REQUES … ron-5675-unlock

The potential of the x370 chipset on this motherboard is noted, but one of the people trying to grab a valid "BIOS dump," managed to overvolt his BIOS chip and it ostensibly died. After the 6th of this month (June), all progress on modding the BIOS stopped. At this point, I'm assuming that option is no longer relevant. I did find references to software that allowed you to temporarily change RAM speed on a tom's hardware forum post, but it was ancient and the last update it got was to support DDR3 and 1st gen Core i7s, so it's unlikely it would support a modern AM4/DDR4 system.

I am unsure of why the people modding the BIOS couldn't use the BIOS file given by Dell, and needed a hardware read of the chip itself. There's probably something there that I don't understand (assembly-level gibberish), but it doesn't make much sense to me.

Where am I?