VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by zack4mac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone from Sunny Rhyl 😎 North Wales
I have just built a 98se machine to relive the good old days and would like to share files on my lan between my Windows 7 machine without weakening my security. I dont want to connect the W98 pc to the internet just access downloads from my windows 7 machine?
Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

9x uses SMB1 so you'd have to enable that on your Windows 7 machine which is a security risk. SMB1 uses the same services and ports as SMB2+ but I suppose if you lock down ports 137,138 and 139 (since those should be the ones 9x uses to access shares) to specific IPs you'd probably be fine.

Additionally you'll need to decrease NTLM security in gpedit and also create a user account on the Windows 7 machine for the 9x machine

If you don't want to use SMB you can use FTP or SFTP.

If using FreeNAS then I use the below:

SYSTEM->TUNABLES (MIGHT NOT BE NECESSARY)
Variable: freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol
Value: NT1
Type: sysctl
COmment: SMB1

SERVICES->SMB
Auxilary Parameters->
min protocol = NT1
lanman auth = Yes
client lanman auth = Yes
client plaintext auth = Yes

The above options (one may only be necessary) will allow access to Freenas from 9x clients. The below smbpasswd command will allow access to shares requiring authentication. If the below smbpasswd does not work then your only option is to setup another share and allow guest access:
Create guest share and allow guest access. Change permissions for "Everyone" to write access

From FreeNAS command prompt:

smbpasswd -a username

Use the same username on guest as on the FreeNAS host

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by zack4mac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you both DosFreak and leileilol
I like the idea of a small server for storage + backup and I think the VirtualPC will be the answer if I downgrade to Wndows 10 but for now I have gone withthe FTP.

Regards from Rhyl

Reply 4 of 4, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I run my 98 machine hooked up to the internet, and even browse some sites to grab patches all the time. I don't think anyone is targeting Win98 machines anymore and unless you actually install a virus yourself I wouldn't worry too much about the internet. I also keep fairly current backups in case of the unthinkable.

It's far more likely that the Win98 install will crap itself due to legitimate software installing conflicting/outdated versions requiring a full restore just through normal use before a virus takes you out.