Common searches

Lastest vídeo of LGR

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 123, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

**** Update ****

I have talked to the owner today, and he is open to the idea of me refurbishing computers and helping him sell on eBay. The place used to be a computer repair shop, and when he showed me the old repair room, there were about 30-40 brand new in box PC-Jr computers just chilling in there. Like sealed in plastic wrap and everything. Sorry, no pictures, It was a sort of job interview situation and it doesn't seem very professional to be taking pictures of everything, 🤣

I am getting set up to do multilayer board repair (think repairing burnt/scratched traces up to 3-4 layers down in the board) and to do good quality component replacement with no damage at all to the board. I may eventually try to offer a repair service for old hardware, it just depends on how much time I have.

I recently aquired a NOS MFM/RLL/EDSI/SCSI/EDI hard drive tester from the early 90s along with a 30 pin SIMM, SIPP and EDO ram tester. Will be using those to verify functionality of all the computers before listing them. I am going to try to do something like refurbishing systems to like new specs (all new caps, calibrated floppy speed, repainted cases if needed, fully tested HDD) and bundling them with a keyboard and the original manual. He also has hundreds of good condition CRT monitors, so I'll see about testing those as well.

I'll give an update once I actually start restoring the stuff. I believe it's against the rules here to post ebay links, so I might find somewhere that allows it and post the links there. Expect stuff like NOS IBM hardware (5150, 5160, 5170, PC-Jr, various PS/2 systems), used systems of various brands, NOS IBM parts of all kinds, Compaq Deskpros, replacement MFM HDDs and 5.25" Floppy drives, and other neat stuff.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 41 of 123, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dkarguth wrote:

...repainted cases if needed...

Know of any rattle can which has the same generic 2-tone beige as most painted computer enclosures of the 90's?

dkarguth wrote:

...along with a 30 pin SIMM, SIPP and EDO ram tester....

How about a DIP SRAM tester - have one of those? Some units test the response time of the SRAM.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 42 of 123, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I plan to take my IBM XT case to the PPG store and get a color match on the inside of the case. I will use good quality 2 part paint for it, as it is more durable than rattle can paint. However, they make rattle can paint in pretty much every color you could ever want, I'll post the color match here so that you could search for the correct color online.

I am working on finding a DIP attachment for the RAM tester I bought, it is capable of testing a whole bunch of different types, it just requires an adapter.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 43 of 123, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dkarguth wrote:
**** Update **** […]
Show full quote

**** Update ****

I have talked to the owner today, and he is open to the idea of me refurbishing computers and helping him sell on eBay. The place used to be a computer repair shop, and when he showed me the old repair room, there were about 30-40 brand new in box PC-Jr computers just chilling in there. Like sealed in plastic wrap and everything. Sorry, no pictures, It was a sort of job interview situation and it doesn't seem very professional to be taking pictures of everything, 🤣

I am getting set up to do multilayer board repair (think repairing burnt/scratched traces up to 3-4 layers down in the board) and to do good quality component replacement with no damage at all to the board. I may eventually try to offer a repair service for old hardware, it just depends on how much time I have.

I recently aquired a NOS MFM/RLL/EDSI/SCSI/EDI hard drive tester from the early 90s along with a 30 pin SIMM, SIPP and EDO ram tester. Will be using those to verify functionality of all the computers before listing them. I am going to try to do something like refurbishing systems to like new specs (all new caps, calibrated floppy speed, repainted cases if needed, fully tested HDD) and bundling them with a keyboard and the original manual. He also has hundreds of good condition CRT monitors, so I'll see about testing those as well.

I'll give an update once I actually start restoring the stuff. I believe it's against the rules here to post ebay links, so I might find somewhere that allows it and post the links there. Expect stuff like NOS IBM hardware (5150, 5160, 5170, PC-Jr, various PS/2 systems), used systems of various brands, NOS IBM parts of all kinds, Compaq Deskpros, replacement MFM HDDs and 5.25" Floppy drives, and other neat stuff.

Congrats man. I hope you can save most of it.

Reply 44 of 123, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkarguth wrote:
**** Update **** […]
Show full quote

**** Update ****

With the quantity that he has and if you want to refurbish (and test) most of it, then it's probably going to take years before you have sold everything. I would simply sell everything as is (and that still would take a million hours and a couple headaches 🤣), perhaps it would be wise to sell lots instead of everything loose. I wonder whether you have an idea about how time consuming it is to refurbish and test hardware.

Reply 46 of 123, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote:

I sure would like to have a NOS 5154 =)

Anything that drives the price of those down is a good idea in my book.

+1 for the just start selling idea. 1/2 the point of these old systems is fixing it yourself.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 48 of 123, by Camtheman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mmm i’d love me a NOS PC/AT. Have a feeling the prices will be whack though. Nice find anyway.

Early 90s: IBM PS/2 Server 95/A, Pentium 66, 16MB RAM, XGA-2, IBM SCSI Corvette, SCSI2SD, 3 Com EtherLink III MCA, Resound 2 AdLib MCA
Late 90s: Micron Millenia MXE, ABIT VH6-II, Coppermine 1ghz, 1024MB, Voodoo 5 5500 PCI, GUS Max 2.1, 128GB SATA PNY SSD

Reply 49 of 123, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, that would be a dream job to have... Checking old hardware, reparing them and putting them on sale in mint condition every time, all the time.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 51 of 123, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

Damn, that would be a dream job to have... Checking old hardware, reparing them and putting them on sale in mint condition every time, all the time.

Even though I really like doing this now at home, I think it get's boring and frustrating after a while 😀

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 52 of 123, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

I bet that if you do that too often then it starts to look like work. It costs a lot of time and at the end of the day nobody wants to pay more than ebay prices, so you don't really get paid for your time 'invested'.

Reply 53 of 123, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

True... That job is more perfect, when you are already financially free. 😀 (Like everything)

Still, amazing oportunity. Take the best and fullest of it!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 55 of 123, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:

With the quantity that he has and if you want to refurbish (and test) most of it, then it's probably going to take years before you have sold everything. I would simply sell everything as is (and that still would take a million hours and a couple headaches 🤣), perhaps it would be wise to sell lots instead of everything loose. I wonder whether you have an idea about how time consuming it is to refurbish and test hardware.

I agree with this.

Just sell as is. If you want to turn yourself into a full-on supplier of vintage computers that are refurbished to new condition, you'd better have a way to make a living off of it because it will take all of your time and I guarantee you'll have some people wanting repairs\refunds 179 days after you've sold them if you sell on eBay with PayPal (which offers 180 days of buyer protection, no matter what).

I repair, refurbish and resell some PCs and components on a very small scale right now and it is fun, educational and can be profitable, but my family lives very simply and the income is enough to supplement my other work (and I can do it from home). If I was only making a small commission and the sale prices of the items weren't mine in the end, it wouldn't be worth the time and frustration.

If this was all your stuff and you could afford to do this as your main source of income, it may be worth it, but unless the owner of this stuff is prepared to have to deal with the cost of returns, shipping damage, thefts, etc. and is paying you a livable wage, this is too much for one person to do as a hobby.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 56 of 123, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I agree with this. […]
Show full quote
SpectriaForce wrote:

I agree with this.

Just sell as is. If you want to turn yourself into a full-on supplier of vintage computers that are refurbished to new condition, you'd better have a way to make a living off of it because it will take all of your time and I guarantee you'll have some people wanting repairs\refunds 179 days after you've sold them if you sell on eBay with PayPal (which offers 180 days of buyer protection, no matter what).

I repair, refurbish and resell some PCs and components on a very small scale right now and it is fun, educational and can be profitable, but my family lives very simply and the income is enough to supplement my other work (and I can do it from home). If I was only making a small commission and the sale prices of the items weren't mine in the end, it wouldn't be worth the time and frustration.

If this was all your stuff and you could afford to do this as your main source of income, it may be worth it, but unless the owner of this stuff is prepared to have to deal with the cost of returns, shipping damage, thefts, etc. and is paying you a livable wage, this is too much for one person to do as a hobby.

I sell on eBay. If you stick them in the Vintage computer category, the condition is set to "---". And if you set the sale to AS-IS for parts or repair, as I understand it, the buyer cannot return it unless it was different then what they ordered.

You can always call eBay and ask them specifically though.

However, it would end up being cheaper in the long run if you set up your own webpage and just accepted Paypal and maybe CC. Maybe not as many sales, but you would completely cut out the eBay fees.
I have bought stuff from a few places that have eBay stores as well as their own web page. They generally are cheaper to buy directly from instead of through eBay. Slightly cheaper prices and/or shipping since they don't have to deal with eBay fees.

If you do sell on eBay, make sure to subscribe to the second tier store which is about $20 a month. That will drop your eBay fees down from 10% to I think 6% for computer stuff which ends up paying for itself really quickly if you sell a decent amount of stuff each month.

If you do set up an eBay store, you will need to cancel and re-list your sales since the discounted selling fees don't carry over to already existing listings.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 57 of 123, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I agree with this. […]
Show full quote
SpectriaForce wrote:

I agree with this.

I sell on eBay. If you stick them in the Vintage computer category, the condition is set to "---". And if you set the sale to AS-IS for parts or repair, as I understand it, the buyer cannot return it unless it was different then what they ordered.

You can always call eBay and ask them specifically though.

This is how it works according to eBay, but PayPal is a separate entity. I won't get into the details but I had a seller tell me he lived in Ohio (200 miles from me), had the item repackaged in Ohio and shipped to him (in Singapore), complain that it was damaged in transit (to Singapore...) and disputed with PayPal until he got his money back almost 2 months after the sale was over. I got the item back and it had half the packaging I shipped it with and it was destroyed.

If you're selling things AS-IS, there is far less risk, and that's how I'd do it. When you start talking about refurbishing old gear in huge quantities and selling as new or refurbished, expectations are going to be a lot higher.

Reply 58 of 123, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkarguth wrote:

I believe it's against the rules here to post ebay links, so I might find somewhere that allows it and post the links there.

Just a thought, but... maybe it's time to revisit this blanket policy as something where exceptions can be made? I don't want Vogons to turn into the side of a bus, but threads like this are certainly more of a public service. Ditto some of the clone projects and such.

Reply 59 of 123, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SirNickity wrote:
dkarguth wrote:

I believe it's against the rules here to post ebay links, so I might find somewhere that allows it and post the links there.

Just a thought, but... maybe it's time to revisit this blanket policy as something where exceptions can be made? I don't want Vogons to turn into the side of a bus, but threads like this are certainly more of a public service. Ditto some of the clone projects and such.

I have no say in this, but as a suggestion it seems like users should be able to just put a link to another site or ebay store in their sig without it being a problem. If no buying or selling takes place on the forums and if links to items aren't being posted to disguise advertising the way people were doing it before, I don't see how it would hurt anything.

Several users (myself included) have links to amibay or other stores in their signatures. I have never been contacted here about selling anything that is listed at one of my links.

I would definitely suggest that the rule be: No eBay links to specific retro items in posts. Links to stores in signatures are okay.

If someone here has something I can use, it'd be nice to know if they have it for sale somewhere without having to ask them about it on vogons. A signature link to a store would direct users away from vogons for anything sale related and would prevent the forums from being filled with advertising for every single retro item on eBay.