VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe this has been mentioned before.
I noticed something after installing from a recent GOG setup (yesterday): All the file dates in the target folder are set to the install date, so old files from the 90's are stamped 2019-something. Making it harder to sort out the GoG wrapper files and Dosbox files.

Maybe there is some way to open the GOG setup files and extract files with their original date?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 1 of 5, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps UniversalExtractor could work extracting the files from the installer without altering the datestamp of the files, that's a long shot by a very very far way.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 5, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gerwin: try innounp or innoextract.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 3 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Srandista, you were right it is an InnoSetup v5.6.2 installer.
innoextract does not know this version.
Innounp v4.9 can extract it to some degree. But the compressed files are still there in compressed form, with their CRC or something as filename and with the date of packing.

Example used:
setup_rise_of_the_triad_1.3_(28045).exe, packed 22-03-2019, changed+changes all file dates.
Not all packages are affected (yet), like:
setup_star_control_2.1.0.13.exe, packed 19-01-2015, retains original file dates.

Reply 4 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be fair, the lost timestamps in many of these cases are the timestamps of when their intern (either GOG's or the publisher's) installed whatever copy they found through DOSBox 0.70 and packed them up since. They're no better than warez sites 'preserving' torrentzip copies from warez sites.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah I know a bit about GOG's way of working. Though, software with erased timestamps is very bad practice in my opinion, even for them. Time stamps are one of the few leads in version control, I use it often. Now GOG erases it when packing it up, and it gets erased again when installing.
Question is, are they gonna do this with all their software now? Are they even aware that they are doing this?