VOGONS

Common searches

NEW iPhones

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 101 of 116, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote:

I give more attention to the appearance of my computers than one would think a Thinkpad fan does.

I'm also a Thinkpad fan and the black/red color combination is pretty timeless. Still a very good design.
I prefer it over the Macbook "trashcan" optics with their aluminium body.

Also, Lenovo isn't shoving a massive fruit into the face of whoever sits to the opposite of me. While the Apple logo is extremely well made from a designers view, it's just way too much self-promotion for devices with their pricepoint.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 102 of 116, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bfcastello wrote:

SqualStrife, I am not “inventing reasons”. I can really use certain apps with my iPhone X to take the same photos the 11 does.

Following that logic, why bother owning multiple lenses for an SLR?

The core improvement is having wide/normal/telephoto that can capture wider or narrower fields of view at full resolution. If you could to that in software, then there's no point to any camera having different lenses. The other effects (bokeh/depth of field) are another story, software can get great results in that space.

Like I said, your justification of not liking the design is valid, we all agreed it looks a bit goofy, but be realistic.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 103 of 116, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
[ […]
Show full quote

[

Following that logic, why bother owning multiple lenses for an SLR?

The core improvement is having wide/normal/telephoto that can capture wider or narrower fields of view at full resolution. If you could to that in software, then there's no point to any camera having different lenses. The other effects (bokeh/depth of field) are another story, software can get great results in that space.

Like I said, your justification of not liking the design is valid, we all agreed it looks a bit goofy, but be realistic.

Having three cameras to do just that is just an overkill and really far from an improvement. Its a quick dirty fix from Apple. In my opinion three cameras just to “capture wider or narrower fields” does not justify its design. At Apple, I don’t expect less than a good idea and this far from a good idea. A good idea would be having just one camera lens for that job without an ugly squared design. This is the true elegant solution. But Apple failed miserably here. Come on. The design and reasons for it does not justify three cameras.

I have a collection of iPhones, since the very first one, and I skipped a few models because I just don’t like them. I skipped the bigger ones. Now, when I put a 4S on a table with a X model, you see where Apple is doing wrong: the 4S sits beautifully flat on table, is usable and does not scratch. Unlike the X, unless I put a case on it. Later I can take a photo with both models to see the difference but I really believe there will be not a big difference to justify an upgrade. I remember my 4S was really good - the best model I have ever used. After this model, Apple started doing a collection of design mistakes on it - just because a few people wanted and put pressure on them to “innovate” with the iPhone. But Apple also failed at this task. This is why the rumor about the 2020 model being similar to the 4S design is gaining traction recently.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 104 of 116, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The iPhone has a selection of apps that can do the same low light photos with just ONE camera.

I selected a few to prove that you don’t need the 11 model for that.
https://www.nightcapcamera.com/
https://apps.apple.com/br/app/neuralcam-night … 1474856599?l=en
https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/30/iphone-camera- … or-night-shots/

For wide angle, you can just use the panorama mode. Seriously, the more methods I find the more I believe the three cameras are useless. Apple did a bad phone this time.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 108 of 116, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be fair every photo, no exception, will look pure shit with moving objects.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 109 of 116, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote:

In my opinion three cameras just to “capture wider or narrower fields” does not justify its design.

That is very nearly the entire point of multiple lenses. (Creative uses, effects, and filters notwithstanding.)

bfcastello wrote:

The iPhone has a selection of apps that can do the same low light photos with just ONE camera.

Multiple lenses do not contribute to low-light performance. Sensor size (physics), low-noise high-gain circuit design, and software do. That had nothing to do with the design of the 11, it's just another feature they've been able to improve incrementally beyond the previous model. (Whether that's entirely software, entirely hardware, or a mix of the two, I don't know. You can't manufacture detail lost in the noise floor, though, so I have to assume it's at least partly hardware.)

bfcastello wrote:

To be fair every photo, no exception, will look pure shit with moving objects.

... whut? Dude, have you ever owned a camera? I don't think you understand how they work.

Reply 110 of 116, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

In my opinion three cameras just to “capture wider or narrower fields” does not justify its design.

That is very nearly the entire point of multiple lenses. (Creative uses, effects, and filters notwithstanding.)

You can do exactly the same with some apps and a phone with just one camera. I could do that with an iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 6S, the last ones with 1 camera I have ever owned. I didn't need more than one camera for that. Again - three lenses is overkill and unnecessary, nothing more than an dirty quick fix from Apple to provide a feature that does not work correctly. The perfect solution - something that I'd expect from Apple - is the same work with just one camera. Previously Apple was known for doing more with less, making things work when people thought it was not possible. This is not the case.

EDIT: On this subject, I'll soon be switching from a X to a XR model that has only one camera. A more beautiful model, although it is a bit bigger, but that can last a little bit longer than the X - following the next iOS upgrades given the XR has the A12 Bionic while the X has the A11.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 112 of 116, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote:

nothing more than an dirty quick fix from Apple to provide a feature that does not work correctly.

Zooming does not work correctly on the 11? Really?

bfcastello wrote:

You can do exactly the same with some apps and a phone with just one camera. [... ] The perfect solution - something that I'd expect from Apple [...]

... is to defeat the laws of physics. Same image fidelity without the aid of optics, by cropping out 2/3 of the pixels captured by the sensor while retaining the full resolution. Got it. Shouldn't be a problem. Maybe in a firmware update?

Reply 114 of 116, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

For wide angle, you can just use the panorama mode.

Confirmed, you are insane.

Not more insane than Apple engineers who decided to put three cameras in a square on a phone. This, yes, is insanity.

JOBS, Steve.