Common searches

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can look at it here:
http://casablanca25.mynetgear.com:286/

I'm continuing to mess around with it today so it probably will be a little intermittent in its operation. But it should be working for now =)

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

Nice work.

So people used PC Paint back in the DOS era? I remember .TGA files were popular in those days.

Thanks!
You know, I am not sure what people used. But I do know that PC Paint can save as GIF, which I figured was the image format most likely to be compatible with a wide range of browsers.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good stuff. Looks fine on Mozilla 1.6 run on Xandros 2 linux desktop on a P166mmx.

Dr Halo was early Dos paint program. It was even bundled with ealy hand held scanners and mice.

20190928_112220[1].jpg
Filename
20190928_112220[1].jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, GIF89 was very popular. It was the format of choice on Shareware/Animation CD-ROMS of the early 90s.
Before that, GIF87a was used by early on-line services such as CompuServe (its creator).
(FLI/FLC was also used for animations for a while).

GIF87a/PCX were also among the oldest foreign formats supported by Windows programs.
For example, Easel from ~1987/88 can read, display and save them on Windows 2.x, too.

*.TGA files were also very popular in the 90s, since they could display high-quality photos (no 256c limit).
That being said, not sure what happened to TIF, though. It (in monochrome) was often used for storing faxes, I believe.

Caluser2000 wrote:

Dr Halo was early Dos paint program. It was even bundled with ealy hand held scanners and mice.

The attachment 20190928_112220[1].jpg is no longer available

Boy, this reminds me of my father's old handy scanner. It came with Cameron Handy Scanner software (~87). 😁
Dr. Halo was bundled with his Genius GM 6 (?) serial mouse, though.

Attachments

• easel_vog.png
    Filename
    easel_vog.png
    File size
    5.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:

*.TGA files were also very popular in the 90s, since they could display high-quality photos (no 256c limit).
That being said, not sure what happened to TIF, though. It (in monochrome) was often used for storing faxes, I believe.

TIF was a high quality lossless image format. It was heavily used in pro graphics in the day. It's been largely surpassed by superior formats like PNG for a while now.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PNG is very nice, but I notice that even on newish computers it takes a noticable amount of time to save very large images, whereas PCX, TGA and TIF are practically instantaneous.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

Nice work.

So people used PC Paint back in the DOS era? I remember .TGA files were popular in those days.

TGA? I thought it was PCX. If I recall correctly, GRASP, which was a quite popular animation tool those days, uses PCX format.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 12, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

TIF was a high quality lossless image format. It was heavily used in pro graphics in the day. It's been largely surpassed by superior formats like PNG for a while now.

TIF (GeoTIFF) is still the number 1 image file format for satellite based imagery, as it can store multiple spectral channels in seperate layers and offers georeferencing (absolute position) through metadata and is widely accepted not only in QGIS, Imagine and ArcMap, but also in Photoshop and other software.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:

TIF (GeoTIFF) is still the number 1 image file format for satellite based imagery, as it can store multiple spectral channels in seperate layers and offers georeferencing (absolute position) through metadata and is widely accepted not only in QGIS, Imagine and ArcMap, but also in Photoshop and other software.

Cool! That explains why old programs for Meteosat reception (JV-Fax etc) used it, too.
Gosh!, that reminds me of the times I watched old METEO/NOAA pictures(animation on CompuServe!! 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used PC-Paint and Dr Halo too - both of them were bundled with mice, so they were common as dirt. Just last month I was digging through old floppies and found some CGA "art" I made in PC-Paint when I was 10. All I can say is I'm glad I've improved.
Of course, once I discovered Autodesk Animator (and DPaint, but chiefly AA) I never looked back.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 12 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

That's interesting to know. Not a GIS guy, so I wasn't aware of this specific application. The use of layers is an advantage TIFF (non baseline) has over PNG, although TIFF is a poor standard for interchange unless you're using a strict subset. Compatibility is otherwise variable.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder