VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive had this AWA Cruiser 7 car radio in the cupboard for about 10 years its from a 1979 Ford XC panel van that I had and the radio has a blue wire with a 2 amp fuse so that must be the 12 volt positive and there is a metal tab on the radio body to clip a negative lead to and the remaining two wires black and red would be for the speaker, so far thats easy, but without putting it in my Holden car I dont know how to try and test if it still works, I have plenty of home power supplies that are 12 volt but what amperage do I need. There is a sticker on the unit that says "Caution this radio is set for 12 volt negative grounded operation only".... would a home power supply still be good to use? Its not a valve radio just a transistor radio with only AM radio.

Reply 1 of 3, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just hook up a 12V car/jetski/quad/lawnmower battery to it. 12 volt negative grounded means it is expecting a battery terminal ground, not an earth or chassis ground. If you use a 12VDC power supply, 5 amps would likely be just fine, maybe even overkill.. it won't draw much power at all with no sound or low volume operation. Looking at similar models, it is only rated at 2 watts per channel. 🤣

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 3, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, the unit will only draw as much as needed. I missed that you said it has a 2 amp fuse, so that's largest power supply you'll need to power it. 12VDC/2A, but of course a larger 12VDC power supply will work fine.. or a 12VDC lead-acid battery as I already stated.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals