VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys! I just put my hands into this German-manufactured-beauty!!

The 26Pin floppy disk doesn't seem to be working so I connected a Floppy emulator, formated the HDD and installed Ms-DOS 6.22 fresh.
Now, the trouble seems to be that the PC doesn't recognise XMS Memory. In fact, there is a section on the BIOS where you need to configure the memory values and to be honest I have no idea where to start from.

I can't find any info of this computer on the internet. No manual, no jumpers, nothing, nada....

Please check the pictures maybe it rings the bells to someone?

Any help appreciated.

f5j6kXj.jpg
zzysz6y.jpg
Hq76r0y.jpg
4oaGS0B.jpg

Reply 2 of 12, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are the first 3 rows editable and the 4 below is what's detected and cannot be changed?
If so just play around with the values, especially the "memory limit" row, you won't destroy anything.

Also what I see in BIOS doesn't agree with what I see during post (XMS and EMS values). Make sure that you save your BIOS settings at least once and that they are retained, right now it may contain dummy values if the battery doesn't work and you haven't saved yet.

Reply 4 of 12, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks sf78. It seems odd that almost no info can be found on the internet as this computers were kind of popular.
I have many 386s-486s but this one manufactured in Germany is special for me already!

Reply 5 of 12, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I also have a Euro SX that a neighbor dropped in my garage last week, with a dead power supply at least... The case is int very good condition, and inside it looks ok too.
I'll be modding a spare ATX to try it this week , and if I get it to work, I have no manuals or software for it, don't know how to set it up or troubleshoot anything...
Did you find anything since then, or put it to the side?
Don't know the condition of the HDD or floppy drive, hope to get it to work...

Reply 6 of 12, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just an update...
I have a working unit, YEY. ATX power supply modded and works like a charm.
The 40Mb HDD works, but the 1.44Mb floppy doesn't... I'm already trying to solve that, either I can repair it or I will change for another one.
I'm not clear if the HDD is XTA, the motherboard model is AT... no information anyware online...

Reply 7 of 12, by EL_Justo_PT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
I am trying to bring an Euro SX back to life.
My uncle bought it new in the early 90s...and it sat in the dark for over 2o years.

The lack of info on this machine is surprising!

Would any of you be so kind as to take a couple of photos of the motherboard and jumper setup?

That would help me a lot, not to mention that it would add a bit more info online for others!

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

Reply 8 of 12, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the exact same one, fully working... But mine is missing some chips that yours have I believe. Next to the BIOS chips.
I dont have time today, but tomorrow I'll try to take photos of every jumper on mine.
You're also from Portugal, right?

Reply 12 of 12, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've sent a PM last monday about direct contact between us. Location, near Abrantes.
Sorry but I have some work at home and have to disassemble the computer to take photos... its in my to do list, sorry for the delay but will take and post them here as soon as I can.