Style problems/bugs

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 112, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wondering.
Are there any possible negative consequences to overall forum performance of every user having a huge list of history of notifications?
Does the history wipes out itself after some time?

Reply 21 of 112, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i think it is not possible to start watching topic without posting there
may result in people posting/deleting just to start watching ->
as a result everyone who watches the topic will get a notification and/or receive an email about everyone who started to watch 😉

Reply 22 of 112, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote on 2019-12-28, 18:26:
Not a bug but the big elephant in the room style issue: […]
Show full quote

Not a bug but the big elephant in the room style issue:

The disconnected lines are highly disorienting.

A related problem: the offset dotted lines behind the zigzagging solid lines.

I get that it's a 90's style thing, but I don't think that's necessary to exude a 90's aura. Can we just have normal boxes? It makes everything look like there are border bugs in the CSS.

I actually like the line art quite a bit, including the dotted lines, and especially the zig-zagging on the threads list. Maybe because it looks like something I'd design. If you connected them all and neatly boxed everything in, it'd look basically like a spreadsheet & incredibly same-y everywhere. Nobody wants to look at a spreadsheet for 1 second longer than they need to. I was genuinely pleased when I first saw the design. Totally understand everyone's preferences are different tho.

Also love the animated logo on the index page. Like, a lot.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24 of 112, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, that's a stretch goal if I ever heard one - there's years upon years of wrong character encoding in the post database resulting in mojibake, people writing with country-specific fonts when these days they'd use Unicode, and there's probably no good way to fix it - I know I've brought it up with Qbix once before.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote on 2019-12-30, 04:07:

Yeah, that's a stretch goal if I ever heard one - there's years upon years of wrong character encoding in the post database resulting in mojibake, people writing with country-specific fonts when these days they'd use Unicode, and there's probably no good way to fix it - I know I've brought it up with Qbix once before.

If you can find some posts that have broken encoding, I’ll take a look at the database and see if I can fix it. Way back in the stupid ages, MySQL had no Unicode support so the database was set to “latin1” even though the data being stored was actually UTF-8, and when Unicode finally arrived in MySQL and the character set was updated, it was done via conversion instead of reinterpretation, so there are old posts that have doubled UTF-8. That is normally a reversible encoding error so long as data was not stripped—I just need to see where it happened so I have a sample to work from.

If, however, this is a case where people are typing PyÅ instead of Pył themselves because somewhere else it got mojibake’d and then they thought that was the correct name, well… I can still fix it in the search with a wordform alias 😀

Last edited by Snover on 2019-12-30, 05:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 26 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote on 2019-12-30, 03:13:

Just wondering.
Are there any possible negative consequences to overall forum performance of every user having a huge list of history of notifications?

No 😀

robertmo wrote on 2019-12-30, 03:13:

Does the history wipes out itself after some time?

Yes—30 days, currently.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 27 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote on 2019-12-30, 03:25:

i think it is not possible to start watching topic without posting there
may result in people posting/deleting just to start watching ->
as a result everyone who watches the topic will get a notification and/or receive an email about everyone who started to watch 😉

Next to the “reply” button is the “watch topic” button, so just click that. It also exists on the forums now, so you can watch an entire forum if you want.

badmojo wrote on 2019-12-28, 20:41:

I think this has been mentioned already by identifying read / un-read threads is a challenge - more contrast b/w them would be great.

I made a change here. Please let me know if it is better now!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 28 of 112, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- "Unread posts" button fainted! A wild "Active posts" button appeared! Please, take back the "Unread posts" button.
- In the "Active posts" page, there is no "Mark all as read" button. Could you add it, please?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 29 of 112, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote on 2019-12-30, 05:17:
badmojo wrote on 2019-12-28, 20:41:

I think this has been mentioned already by identifying read / un-read threads is a challenge - more contrast b/w them would be great.

I made a change here. Please let me know if it is better now!

Highlighting around the 'View post' button? Whatever it was I can easily identify the difference now so great job.

I'm using the new colour scheme here and think it all looks great - the white on purple contrast is better than the old brown on blue or whatever it was and the general styling works for me. Thanks very much for your efforts 👍

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 31 of 112, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote on 2019-12-30, 07:09:

- "Unread posts" button fainted! A wild "Active posts" button appeared! Please, take back the "Unread posts" button.
- In the "Active posts" page, there is no "Mark all as read" button. Could you add it, please?

Lol, that happened because we all begged them to bring back the “active topics” button. I’m pleasantly surprised that it has returned.

I don’t mind the other buttons at all, but I (and others, it seems) need the “active topics” and “your posts” buttons the most.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 32 of 112, by dann86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested this on more then one system.
The mute user button on users profile page does not seem to work in firefox. It loads a CD icon in the middle of the page. The icon goes away and nothing happens.
But if I open the link in a new tab it works. I can also mute users from the manger mute users page.

Reply 33 of 112, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When adding an attachment that's too large, I get this:

Annotation 2019-12-30 163204.png
Filename
Annotation 2019-12-30 163204.png
File size
71.37 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

1982 to 2001

Reply 34 of 112, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

the hover descriptions of buttons and icons are not working reliably. At least on Safari on macOS they sometimes work and sometimes don't 🙁

Edit: this seems to be a problem of my multi monitor setup, not the site. The hover text is sometimes shown on one of the other monitors. WTF? 😀

Last edited by Dominus on 2019-12-30, 18:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 35 of 112, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Woah, I'm trying this on a different (nicer) monitor now, and the dithering is causing some pretty bad flickering.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 36 of 112, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Minor bug

Global Settings - User Control Panel - Hide my online status

This only toggles the dot beside the user name in avatar space. When toggled to Hide, the user's name is still listed in the Who's Online box at the bottom of the page. I did try toggling on/off with proper logout between to see if the problem could be dislodged, but no luck.

Reply 37 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pewpewpew wrote on 2019-12-30, 21:09:

Minor bug

Global Settings - User Control Panel - Hide my online status

This only toggles the dot beside the user name in avatar space. When toggled to Hide, the user's name is still listed in the Who's Online box at the bottom of the page. I did try toggling on/off with proper logout between to see if the problem could be dislodged, but no luck.

This is an intentional behaviour change in phpBB. It does not affect anything except that you see yourself as online. You are still invisible to other normal users. Why did they do this? I’ve asked myself that same question over 9000 times about different things while working on this update. I have only unkind answers, so I will keep them to myself. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.