Reply 340 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-20, 06:50:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-07-20, 02:35:
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-19, 23:11:

Crosspost from "Welcome to the updated VOGONS", hoping for some feedback on the issue.

Hi, I'm one of those that prefer this website not to override the default cursor.
Would it be possible to add a "custom mouse cursor yes/no" as a checkbox on the "display options" section in the control panel?

You can use the browser plugin Stylish to make the forum colors, font, and mouse cursor be as they should be... like it used to be.

Thanks, I know, I've read all the previous comments about it.
That is not what I'm asking about though - I would like it to be an option, like on reddit, for instance.

We've requested and complained about it multiple times before and were basically told to go pound sand.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 342 of 516, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The cert's got problems with certain gecko browsers and given it's a vintage-centered forum, some will be hit with this. (Searching around shows it's common with firefox and Let's Encrypt for years where granting exceptions isn't possible to bypass)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 344 of 516, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has a 'Like' function been considered here? I often read posts that I like but don't have anything meaningful to add so just move on, where I'd like the option to show my appreciation. This feature was added to another forum I frequent and I was dubious initially, but I think it's added a nice sense of community.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 345 of 516, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2022-02-08, 05:00:

Has a 'Like' function been considered here? I often read posts that I like but don't have anything meaningful to add so just move on, where I'd like the option to show my appreciation. This feature was added to another forum I frequent and I was dubious initially, but I think it's added a nice sense of community.

What about instead of liking an individual post you just gave a person the like which was only reflected to them in their profile. That way it doesn't become about getting likes publicly on a post but people can feel like their posts are appreciated.

Reply 346 of 516, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IIRC, likes has been rejected because of the way that it changes the nature of a board. Things work well already and introducing likes would have a profound effect and would also piss off a lot of the established technical base here. Just the risk of losing important forum members is a good enough reason not to do it.

Reply 347 of 516, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
7F20 wrote on 2022-02-08, 16:09:

would have a profound effect and would also piss off a lot of the established technical base here

Would it? I can see why a thumbsdown button would cause friction but who's getting upset by a like? Humanity does find a way to pervert even the most simple interactions though I guess so maybe you're right, less is more.

Reply 348 of 516, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you seen a troubleshooting forum where a nonsense 'check your viruses update drivers you must use x get x. technical expertise: PROFESSIONAL EXPERT PRO' incorrect answer is upvoted?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 350 of 516, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen likes implemented on a few forums too, and have only seen the positives in it. There is generally some intitial resistance, because people think it's going to turn into Reddit or Facebook or something. In reality it just gives people a way to show appreciation for a post, without having to bump a thread just to say "nice" or something.

Reply 351 of 516, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-02-08, 23:38:

I've seen likes implemented on a few forums too, and have only seen the positives in it. There is generally some intitial resistance, because people think it's going to turn into Reddit or Facebook or something. In reality it just gives people a way to show appreciation for a post, without having to bump a thread just to say "nice" or something.

See this is where I need a like button 😁

Reply 352 of 516, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2022-02-08, 23:55:
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-02-08, 23:38:

See this is where I need a like button 😁

:like:

I'd also like a simpler way to post gaming screenshots (drag and drop works well in another forum I frequent, it reformats to requirements automatically, rather than making me use a 3rd party editor to do it manually).

I have no idea what to say when forced to pick a license for the pic I just uploaded. I usually randomly pick something.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 354 of 516, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anders- wrote on 2022-02-09, 00:37:
+1 […]
Show full quote
7F20 wrote on 2022-02-08, 16:09:

IIRC, likes has been rejected because of the way that it changes the nature of a board. Things work well already and introducing likes would have a profound effect and would also piss off a lot of the established technical base here. Just the risk of losing important forum members is a good enough reason not to do it.

+1

If one truly appreciates a post, why not set aside the time and actually reply to it properly?
"Like" is a forum plague, second only to the vertical scope business.

Who wants to reply just to say "I like what you said". Besides, I imagine that many of us are grown, middle-aged adults that hop on here for a few minutes at a time, read something they like, want to acknowledge it, but literally don't have the time because they've got to run off to work, get back to work (from break), hop in the shower, get busy with a "honey do" etc.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 355 of 516, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If one truly appreciates a post, why not set aside the time and actually reply to it properly?

Efficiency. Life is short. For each 1 post I have time to write, I read perhaps 100 posts by others. There's no symmetry there. So, as a natural consequence of time constraints, most of the posts I agree with and appreciate remain unacknowledged.

That's ok. I don't mind a Like system, but on the other hand, it reinforces an informal meritocracy that is already plain to regular contributors. That isn't a bad thing per se. Just another way to have a say.

Reply 356 of 516, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Take the 'bought this stuff today' thread - I really like seeing what people find and I know from experience that taking decent photos and posting them takes time so I want to say 'thanks for the effort', but I don't want to add to the clutter by leaving a mostly redundant comment.

There have been a few comments here stating that the 'like' system is bad but no-one has explained why - I'd like to understand the issue, I'm certainly no expert.

Reply 357 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same here. No need for everybody to have to leave a worded response to like a post just to say they like the post.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 359 of 516, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A "Likes system" is a simple Consensus Mechanism.

The value of consensus mechanisms is not something we need to rediscover. They are scattered all throughout our common life and systems. Their potential benefits are obvious, and several are directly referenced in posts above.