First post, by Qbix
- DOSBox Author
Welcome the next iteration of VOGONS!
- A more consistent look and feel, with enhancements to usability and accessibility versus the standard phpBB prosilver theme and the old VOGONS theme.
- Designed to work well on screens of all sizes (320px and up), inputs (mouse, pen, touch, keyboard, screen reader), and DPIs.
- Emoji support🎉 (and other characters outside the BMP, like Cuneiform 𒀩, Egyptian Hieroglyph 𓀡, or Alchemical Symbols 🜩 if you’re into that). Old image smilies are converted to their corresponding emoji; image fallbacks are used for machines that don’t support a given Unicode version.
- TOTP-based two-factor authentication. (Please secure your account with two-factor authentication!)
- New BBCodes:
- inline monospace
- strikethrough (technically this existed before, but was undiscoverable)
- collapsible sections (for long content, or spoilers, or whatever your mind can imagine)
- bbcode-free sections (in case you need to actually type [b] sometime)
- horizontal rules.
- Real time zone support, so you don’t have to change your summer time settings twice a year to see the correct time.
- Code blocks automatically collapse when the code is long (currently >60 hard lines).
- Code blocks can be syntax highlighted using [code=lang].
- Code blocks can be copied to the clipboard in one click.
- Auto-completion when typing usernames (e.g. when adding receivers to a PM).
- No more janky pop-up windows, anywhere, ever.
- Improved BBCode editor with keyboard shortcuts and automatically reloading preview tab.
- Post quotes can now include complete back-references to the original post.
- Improved security and privacy with Content-Security-Policy and Referrer-Policy.
- Image requests are automatically upgraded to HTTPS. No more mixed mode content; no manually changing a decade of insecure image tags.
- Features which have effectively never been used by anyone, like custom user groups and “friends”, are hidden.
- Significantly improved site search functionality (using Sphinx instead of phpBB’s default search).
- Why does the forum need to be upgraded ?
- The old forum software is EOL and only runs on PHP versions which no longer receive any official security updates.
Further the old forum had some issues with high DPI screens as well as mobile devices and
it became more difficult to keep the spam and vandalism under control as we reached the limits on what could be modified without making a total mess.
- Why did the familiar purple have to go ?
- The original colour scheme had poor contrast and too small text in
areas, which did not conform to web content accessibility guidelines and
generated complaints about things being hard to read, especially for
those with vision issues.
- Why is everything taking up so much more space ?
- The original design was for monitors which, way back in 2003, were
~72dpi. Today’s monitors are 96dpi–120dpi, which means that content
needs to be larger in order to match how it was actually presented back
in 2003. The larger buttons also help with devices where you use your hands.
- I don't like how it looks, is there something I can tweak ?
- You have the option to go back to an oldskool colour scheme, adjust the
spacing and font size from the Display Settings in the User Control Panel to fit your
- After tweaking it, I still don't like it or I have an idea to improve either theme!
- Please post in the thread New forum suggestions/Feedback which part you don't like (be precise, we can't do much with "I don't like it"). We will read all feedback and maybe some things can be tweaked. No promises, but we want to make VOGONS a nice place to be.
- I found a (small) (cosmetic) bug.
- Please post it in thread Style problems/bugs
- Where did the "latest post button" go ?
- It's back to its original place! The button on the left size (in front of the thread) is clickable again!
Mostly Snover and Qbix a little bit.
Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!