Common searches

Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 743, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
andrea wrote on 2019-12-29, 10:17:

...is there a way to bring back the page numbers next to the post title? So that you can quickly go to the last page of eleventy pages long threads.

This. I miss this. It made it easier to instantly jump to a page when you know that the thread has progressed another page worth of posts and you know you missed some on the previous page from the last time to visited. (i.e. it was on page 8 the last time you were here, and it's now on page 9 or so) It was just handy to me.

Also, good to know what the actual issue with my panel is called now, crosstalk. You would think a monitor that cost US$700 a couple years back wouldn't have this issue but here we are. For reference, it's an Acer XB271HU.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 181 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Agent of the BSoD wrote on 2019-12-29, 19:31:
andrea wrote on 2019-12-29, 10:17:

...is there a way to bring back the page numbers next to the post title? So that you can quickly go to the last page of eleventy pages long threads.

This. I miss this. It made it easier to instantly jump to a page when you know that the thread has progressed another page worth of posts and you know you missed some on the previous page from the last time to visited. (i.e. it was on page 8 the last time you were here, and it's now on page 9 or so) It was just handy to me.

The link on the big topic icon at the left will take you straight to the first unread post, so you shouldn’t have to remember which page was the last page you read.

The link on the date in the “newest post” column takes you to the very last post regardless of which post you read.

I am still evaluating the feedback about this, since it seems like there’s some trouble with discovering these links, and several people have also remarked on being focused on the pagination control as an indicator of topic size/change rather than the same information in the “replies” column, so it seems like the page-based presentation may be more naturally intuitive than a column of numbers. Once the most critical issues are resolved I’ll chat with the team about this to figure out what change, if any, should be made here.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 183 of 743, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

page-based presentation is wrong as when you move to wrong page (too far away) you loose unreaded posts markings on previous pages.

btw would be nice to see "unreaded posts markings" again. (orange sheet before update)

Reply 184 of 743, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a guy who in the past been UI/UX designer I understand the need for change and that there is always a room for improvement, unfortunatelly in case of VOGONS the change is not for the better (I'm talking about visual and usability side of things). Site basically looks broken and early beta (in both colour schemes - the new one is damn heavy on eyes too). Usability has been degraded (for starters there is no way to jump to the last page of the thread right from the thread list - only the beginning of the thread or the last unread post). Round buttons seem inconsistent with the rest of the layout. Too many things gone bad to list them all 🙁
It lost it's retro feel as well.
On the bright side - it feels a bit more responsive now, but theme still needs a some heavy facelift/overhaul.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 185 of 743, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't say I fully agree with this. The purple looks OK and the contrast works well on my phone. Also getting to the end of a topic in your/new posts is easier, as I don't need to aim for a tiny icon. It is an upgrade for me, even if not perfect. I think to much space is taken up by title info, and it could be a lot more compact in many regards. But it works.

Reply 186 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Duouk2000 wrote on 2019-12-29, 00:30:
Stiletto wrote on 2019-12-28, 22:59:
Duouk2000 wrote on 2019-12-28, 21:00:

Massive apologies, I must have created a secondary account for some reason 2011! I'll edit my previous post to avoid confusion.

Oh thank god.

We can move/merge the two accounts over to this one if you'd like! There's only a few posts on the newer account. I can reassign the posts but to move private messages, Qbix or Snover needs to handle it.

Yeah that would be great actually, cheers 😀

I moved the posts over, Qbix will have to take care of the private messages (if any), assuming that's possible.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 187 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bfcastello wrote on 2019-12-29, 00:04:
Stiletto wrote on 2019-12-28, 22:59:
Duouk2000 wrote on 2019-12-28, 21:00:

Massive apologies, I must have created a secondary account for some reason 2011! I'll edit my previous post to avoid confusion.

Oh thank god.

We can move/merge the two accounts over to this one if you'd like! There's only a few posts on the newer account. I can reassign the posts but to move private messages, Qbix or Snover needs to handle it.

Can I ask one question? You can rename accounts? I'd like to have mine renamed to my real-life nickname.

That can be done. I've messaged Qbix to get in touch with you, he's usually the only active administrator that can do it.

Just so you know, renaming the account will not replace the many times people have referred to you by name in their posts, however, but it should correct the problem going forward.

Stiletto

Reply 188 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote on 2019-12-29, 15:39:

The animated party hat is a nice touch.

Yes... BUT it was only ever intended to be deployed around the anniversary date of June 30th! Not sure how it became an "always" thing... lazy admins who cannot set a timer? 😁

The first (public) thread: Worst Memory Pig...ever and the first (public) post: Worst Memory Pig...ever were June 30, 2002 at 7: […]
Show full quote

The first (public) thread:
Worst Memory Pig...ever
and the first (public) post:
Worst Memory Pig...ever
were June 30, 2002 at 7:46 PM GMT

(and the first registered user was June 30, 2002 at 4:47 AM GMT.)
Snover (formerly u=1) )

Stiletto

Reply 189 of 743, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Stiletto wrote on 2019-12-29, 21:36:
clueless1 wrote on 2019-12-29, 15:39:

The animated party hat is a nice touch.

Yes... BUT it was only ever intended to be deployed around the anniversary date of June 30th! Not sure how it became an "always" thing... lazy admins who cannot set a timer? 😁

The first (public) thread: Worst Memory Pig...ever and the first (public) post: Worst Memory Pig...ever were June 30, 2002 at 7: […]
Show full quote

The first (public) thread:
Worst Memory Pig...ever
and the first (public) post:
Worst Memory Pig...ever
were June 30, 2002 at 7:46 PM GMT

(and the first registered user was June 30, 2002 at 4:47 AM GMT.)
Snover (formerly u=1) )

I set it to celebrate the deployment of the board. 😜

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 190 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed that some users forum signatures got a CSS filter over their images darkening them. For example, @oeuvre 's signature image got darker.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 191 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote on 2019-12-29, 20:12:

Would you please dare to elaborate why this forum needs a custom mouse cursor which overrides my system settings

Because they’re the O.G. Windows 95 cursors and it’s fun to do fun things!

blurks wrote on 2019-12-29, 20:12:

and also answer the question in my post earlier? Muchas Gracias.

I’m working on the feedback related to the feeling people have that post content is swamped by the metadata, which includes this part of the design.

So, good news to everyone who was like “hey I use the Active topics all the time, what the heck”. Either there was some big shift in the way people use the site since 2018 (unlikely!) or some neurons in my brain got scrambled (more likely!). While I correctly remembered that “Your posts” is an unreasonably popular special search (35% of all special searches), the active topics is clearly everyone’s favourite (53%!). Super sorry about that! (Unread posts was actually just 0.77% of special searches, so it’s been replaced.) Giving the “Active topics” list more features is also on my list of TODOs so keep an eye out for those.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 193 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote on 2019-12-30, 02:22:

So, good news to everyone who was like “hey I use the Active topics all the time, what the heck”. Either there was some big shift in the way people use the site since 2018 (unlikely!) or some neurons in my brain got scrambled (more likely!). While I correctly remembered that “Your posts” is an unreasonably popular special search (35% of all special searches), the active topics is clearly everyone’s favourite (53%!). Super sorry about that! (Unread posts was actually just 0.77% of special searches, so it’s been replaced.) Giving the “Active topics” list more features is also on my list of TODOs so keep an eye out for those.

Phew! Though now there's probably gonna be people saying "where's the Unread Posts button" 🙄

Thanks also for giving Active Topics more features (eventually) - I can at least see how to hand-edit the URL to behave as it used to for now, at least.

Stiletto

Reply 195 of 743, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Hidden Login" is not working.
"New Posts" only shows posts posted after you last logged in.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 196 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote on 2019-12-30, 04:47:

Why do you think this?

That is how it has always worked, as far as I know. I don’t know if people have always just been confused about the difference between “New posts” and “Unread posts” (like, er, me, earlier in this thread)—but going back again to the log analysis, it’s the special search used 9% of the time compared to 0.7% of the time for the “Unread posts” one, so I have to assume folks know what they want and they want that.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 197 of 743, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote on 2019-12-30, 05:30:

Why do you think this?

DUH!
Because when you log in using the hidden feature and you are still listed at the bottom of the page you aren't hidden.

Snover wrote on 2019-12-30, 05:30:

That is how it has always worked

Not on my computer.
I've usually gone straight to "New Posts" after logging in and was pages long. Now it's one or two posts. Sometimes none at all.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2019-12-30, 18:37. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed broken markup

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 198 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Just because you are seeing yourself does not mean everyone else sees you

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 199 of 743, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2019-12-30, 06:48:

Just because you are seeing yourself does not mean everyone else sees you

In the old version I did not see myself.
I checked that all the time because I usually use that feature.

Now it shows my screen name.