Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote on 2019-12-29, 11:02:

Seems to take significantly more space to display same content - not great.

worst.jpg
Filename
worst.jpg
File size
895.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 201 of 743, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some more playing around and for reference:

Screenshot_20191230-104822_Samsung Internet_compress6.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20191230-104822_Samsung Internet_compress6.jpg
File size
635.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Forum settings: Logged off, default blue.
Browser settings: Mobile mode, 70% text zoom, Dark Mode on Samsung browser.

Kinda like the white on midnight blue look.

Reply 202 of 743, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote on 2019-12-29, 17:10:

Fixing this problem with the dithering is on my TODO list, since obviously there are a lot of panels out there with electronics that can’t handle it properly. I’ll leave it to anyone with more electrical engineering experience to explain why some panels fail to draw high frequency patterns and others are totally fine. (I’ll be interested to know if they confirm my own hypotheses about this. 😀)

It's not just that it's terrible for a lot of LCDs, it's also that it can look terrible depending on zoom level and algorithm.

Snover wrote on 2019-12-30, 02:22:
blurks wrote on 2019-12-29, 20:12:

Would you please dare to elaborate why this forum needs a custom mouse cursor which overrides my system settings

Because they’re the O.G. Windows 95 cursors and it’s fun to do fun things!

I don't particularly have anything against replacing the normal cursor. If it was only a dumb thing that didn't break functionality, but this also removes the "Text Select" cursor, so it's harder to make out where you can select text.

Plus a lot of people use a very similar cursor in the first place, so they don't see the effect (I didn't notice the regular cursor was a different one).

Reply 203 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2019-12-30, 11:27:

I don't particularly have anything against replacing the normal cursor. If it was only a dumb thing that didn't break functionality, but this also removes the "Text Select" cursor, so it's harder to make out where you can select text.

That should be fixable with this CSS:

.post_main .post_content {
cursor: text;
}

Switches the cursor in post content to the default text select cursor.

Can be entered with the User CSS extension in Chrome for example:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/use … njhadmkdbcldfcb

Edit: Can we make URL's "target=_blank" by default please? I don't like outgoing links to overwrite my current tab.

Last edited by schmatzler on 2019-12-30, 11:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 204 of 743, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote on 2019-12-28, 18:52:

OK, I added this link for logged out users. It’s always named “new posts” to try to reduce confusion (i.e. “why is this suddenly gone?” when logged in), following the logic that they’re both new posts lists and it just happens to be more tailored when you are logged in because the system has better information on what’s actually new to you.

Awesome thanks 😀

Just two more request, if that's possible:

- can the "active topic" button be added in mobile mode as well?
- can these two color schemes be added: "black on white" and "light gray on black"?

Reply 205 of 743, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
schmatzler wrote on 2019-12-30, 11:45:
ZellSF wrote on 2019-12-30, 11:27:

That should be fixable with this CSS:

I can fix a lot of problems I have with the style in CSS, I'm just posting things that I see that are outright bad and should be fixed for everyone, not things that aren't to my personal preference.

Reply 206 of 743, by astonsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble understanding the page selector within threads. Is there a trick or method to knowing which number will take me to the next page on from what I'm reading?

e.g.

I clicked on a large thread, and the choices are 1, 1588, and 1590. Does that mean I am on page 1587, the next page is 1588, and the final page in the thread is 1590? Or am I on page 1589, with the next (and final) page being 1590?

Reply 207 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
astonsmith wrote on 2019-12-30, 18:12:

I'm having trouble understanding the page selector within threads. Is there a trick or method to knowing which number will take me to the next page on from what I'm reading?

e.g.

I clicked on a large thread, and the choices are 1, 1588, and 1590. Does that mean I am on page 1587, the next page is 1588, and the final page in the thread is 1590? Or am I on page 1589, with the next (and final) page being 1590?

That sounds weird. Could you link the thread you are looking at?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 209 of 743, by astonsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote on 2019-12-30, 18:19:

Sure, it's "Bought these (retro) hardware today" within General Old Hardware. Link here. But it's the same with any thread with more than a few pages.

I have attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing to this post.

Attachments

• threadsel.png
    Filename
    threadsel.png
    File size
    12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 210 of 743, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tossing my 2c into the fray, for what it's worth:

- Don't like the dithered background either, for the same reasons -- adds scroll flicker on LCD, looks mushy on less-than-perfectly-aligned VGA sampling.

- The post selection widget: Three choices? Come on.. I'm not browsing on a Palm Pilot, you can have some more of my pixels. 😀

- The gumdrop emojis... I'm at a loss for words.

- I know this is a "new web thing" but does every site have to use 24pt fonts and make my 1080p monitor feel like 640x480 again? I can't help but feel this is designed to overcome Windows' really crappy use of high-DPI screens there for a while, where in 4K, most graphical elements were invisible to the naked eye. If that's just the way it is now, I'll get over it.

- The thin white sans-serif on dark color background isn't a great choice. It takes noticeably more effort to read. Maybe a slightly wider font to give the glyphs some room to breathe? I would also take contrast down just a touch, maybe a bright gray, or even a touch of lavender? Or desaturate the background color some. It's just a little too much.

- Does every post and attachment really need an icon to establish its license..? It looks like GNU took over the place and will soon insist on calling the site "GNU/VOGONS" and we're all now LibreMembers.

OK, that's all the whining for now. 😁

Reply 211 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
astonsmith wrote on 2019-12-30, 18:28:
Snover wrote on 2019-12-30, 18:19:

Sure, it's "Bought these (retro) hardware today" within General Old Hardware. Link here. But it's the same with any thread with more than a few pages.

I have attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing to this post.

Vanilla phpBB has a ton of things that are… let’s say, “not good”. In this case, there was a “jump to page” form which required client-side scripting. I initially made a fallback that excluded the jump form for noscript users, then decided this was silly since there’s no reason client-side scripting should be needed for such a simple feature, so extended the server code so the form worked just fine without client-side scripting. I deleted the fallback from the HTML but forgot to delete the CSS that hid the jump form when JS was disabled. So this should be fixed now, and pagination should make sense again. Thanks for reporting this!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 213 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

now how do you pronounce this? G - N - U -Vogons or "Gnew" Vogons?
I'm all for "Gnew" because that is almost "new" and since it's new now... 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 214 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote on 2019-12-30, 18:30:

I believe the type of emoji comes from your operating system. On Android, you'll get the Android emojis. Apple display their own ones.

It's actually not that easy to override those with different, more beautiful emojis. In my opinion, the ones from Apple look best, but they don't have an open-source license - they licensed them out to WhatsApp, which is the only 3rd party exception I know of.
The only decent emojis with an open source license are the ones from Twitter:
https://twemoji.twitter.com/

While I doubt someone would actually get sued for embedding Apple's emojis, it's still not legal to do so.

Btw, Google dropped their ugly gumdrop emojis after Android 7.1.
There are also apps to replace them with their Apple pendants, if you can't upgrade your device.
Also, I've tested the latest Chrome browser on Android 4.4 and it displays better emojis. Not sure if those are a fallback from the browser or the forum software itself, though.

(On Windows 10 with Chrome I get Microsoft emojis.)

Reply 215 of 743, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if anyone already mentioned this, but I really dislike the new page switcher widget. Can we get a regular "back, current page, next" type of widget? Preferably keeping the "jump to page" functionality as well.

Edit: Ah wait, I was on the last page where it looks a bit weird. I still think it's a bit confusing by showing only numbers though.

Reply 216 of 743, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it possible to add to themes the bog standard themes this forum software supports?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 217 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2019-12-30, 19:47:

Is it possible to add to themes the bog standard themes this forum software supports?

No, sorry! See my reply here to ATauenis’s similar question for why.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 218 of 743, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote on 2019-12-30, 21:25:
keropi wrote on 2019-12-30, 19:47:

No, sorry! See my reply here to ATauenis’s similar question for why.

allrighty then!
I started using oldschool style and appreciate it more 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 219 of 743, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2019-12-30, 19:01:
SirNickity wrote on 2019-12-30, 18:30:

I believe the type of emoji comes from your operating system. On Android, you'll get the Android emojis. Apple display their own ones.

OH. Well that's embarrassing. Must be that the new forum doesn't provide its own GIFs anymore, and the emoji chars I'm seeing ship with the version of Chrome I'm using. (It's a Gentoo box and I haven't felt like breaking it for two days to compile all new dependencies.) hehe Sorry, I withdraw that one then! 😀