Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 680 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did throughout these threads ^^

it is very shoddily written just tried stuff as I went and added some suggestions from here, also it's for how I use the site personally which is mainly through the "new posts" page and the classic colors theme.
the forum overview is a bit messed up with the normal logo, as I pretty much never use that I haven't fixed it.

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("www.vogons.org") {
:root { font-family: "Whatever Font You Like", sans-serif; }
:root { font-feature-settings: 'onum' 0; }
#top { background-color: #444466; }
#main { background-color: #9999cc; }
.title-bar { margin: 0px !important; padding-top: 4px !important; }
.header_banner { background-color: #9999cc; }
.header_nav { margin: 0px; }
.link-group_link { background-color: #9999cc; }
.post_header { background-image: none; }
.table_row { background-image: none !important; }
.table { padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 8px; }
.toolbar_button { padding: 0px; height: 24px; border: 1px; }
.table_head_label { background-color: #9999cc; }
.post_header { height: 30px; }
.post_container { margin: 0px; }
.post_signature { max-height: 100px; overflow: auto; }
.footer { background-color: #9999cc; margin-top: 16px; padding: 4px; }

}

Reply 681 of 743, by quick01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Newb to Vogons...love the website!

P4 2.8 ghz
Intel G865GLC
512mb ram Samsung ddr pc3200
Aopen Aeolus GeForce FX5900XT 128mb AGP
Audigy 2 ZS
Seagate Barracuda 7200 80GB
Seasonic 400w
Win98SE

Reply 682 of 743, by alberthamik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry but I'm not sure where else to post this. Despite having been modestly active off and on with these forums, my ability to send private messages is still disabled. Which is crazy because I was able to send messages when I first joined the forums. Any explanation for that? Thanks.

Reply 684 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alberthamik wrote on 2020-07-12, 07:50:

I'm sorry but I'm not sure where else to post this. Despite having been modestly active off and on with these forums, my ability to send private messages is still disabled. Which is crazy because I was able to send messages when I first joined the forums. Any explanation for that? Thanks.

Sometime in your absence VOGONS was attacked repeatedly by someone and we took steps to avoid that happening again. I will make a point to tell the forum administrator that yours was a case where your account was created before the posting limit was created, but until a fix goes into place for your specific case, all I can say is: keep posting publicly until you have hit the number of public posts required to allow you to send private messages, your post count is close.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 686 of 743, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick suggestion. When you have new notifications and click the Bell icon, you get this list, and there's a Tick icon to clear your notifications.

Once you've clicked the Tick, you then have to click again to hide the list. This feels a little cumbersome, and I think the list should roll back up as soon as you click the Tick.

An alternate idea could be that the notifications are automatically marked as read when you click the Bell.

Capture.PNG
Filename
Capture.PNG
File size
32.57 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 688 of 743, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote on 2020-09-05, 19:36:

I retract my early whines, I am used to it now, so like any user who gets used to changes "it's great!"

Sorry for hating new things.

Well, I can’t quite agree with you myself.

I miss the old VOGONS a lot. It was clean, well laid out, distinctive, had a time tested interface that worked well, and was very compatible.

The new one still looks very messy and glitchy to me. Like there are CSS errors everywhere and nothing is lined up.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 689 of 743, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-09-08, 04:29:

The new one still looks very messy and glitchy to me. Like there are CSS errors everywhere and nothing is lined up.

Why am I not seeing any of this? Is this specific to particular browsers/environments, or is it something behind the scenes that the users will not notice?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 690 of 743, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-09-08, 04:29:

Well, I can’t quite agree with you myself.

I miss the old VOGONS a lot. It was clean, well laid out, distinctive, had a time tested interface that worked well, and was very compatible.

I respect your opinion, but honestly, I haven't noticed any errors or glitches in the new design so far.

Also, I don't know if you've ever browsed VOGONS on a mobile device, but I can tell you, on the old site,that was an absolutely terrible experience. The text was small, links were hardly tappable and you constantly had to rotate your phone to landscape mode and zoom in and out, since text would not wrap the screen on mobile devices. It was next to unusable on phones. The new site, in contrast, is an absolute joy to use, both on desktops and on mobile devices.

I honestly haven't noticed any alignment problems or CSS errors as you mentioned, but you are not going to convince me that the old site had no visual glitches, let alone HTML and CSS standards violations.

Reply 691 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't miss the old vogons at all. The new one is usable on mobile so it is infinitely better despite some minor issues.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 692 of 743, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same here, don't miss the old version. For me as mod the new tools are much better and less cumbersome.

What I do hope everyone does is use the old classic skin and set font size to minimum. I have to admit I don't like the new blueish skin, but the old purple one! I hope someday it will be changed to be the standard one.

One thing that sucked going to the new version was that I could not visit from my retro computers. Hopefully RetroZilla will work out a way to include support for Vogons in a new release, or a proxy will "translate" the CSS.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 693 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
digger wrote on 2020-09-08, 09:23:

Also, I don't know if you've ever browsed VOGONS on a mobile device, but I can tell you, on the old site,that was an absolutely terrible experience. The text was small, links were hardly tappable and you constantly had to rotate your phone to landscape mode and zoom in and out, since text would not wrap the screen on mobile devices. It was next to unusable on phones. The new site, in contrast, is an absolute joy to use, both on desktops and on mobile devices.

I have used the old vogons on my phone, and I did not have a terrible experience at all.
I for one do not care if I need to zoom on a page, as that is literally one of the simplest things on a phone to do, and I'd rather have a site that does not get gimped on desktop for the sake of mobile use.

yes I still miss the old vogons, I much preferred it to how it is now.

through a lot of effort with userstyles I got the new one in a "usable" state for myself, that does not mean that I got used to it or that I prefer it now... yes I can use it now again, but only because I changed a lot of things :p

Reply 694 of 743, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-09-08, 12:57:

I'd rather have a site that does not get gimped on desktop for the sake of mobile use.

We all prefer that. Somehow implying that the new VOGONS looks gimped on desktop is doing it injustice.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 697 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Huh 🤷‍♂️

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 698 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

as in nice ones that are fit for a retro gaming forum ^^ like there were before :p

I'm so happy that I got my browser to not display those abominations that are unicode emoji.