Reply 700 of 743, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote on 2020-09-08, 17:25:
Dominus wrote on 2020-09-08, 16:51:

Huh 🤷‍♂️

I'm not seeing any in the post editor 😒 There's buttons for things like bold, italics, links, lists, etc. But no emoticons.

There are way too many emojis in existence to list in a WYSIWYG editor. While typing, enter a colon (':') and then start typing the (standard) name of the emoji you're looking for. You'll see a popup dropdown list that shrinks as you type. It's a semi-standard way of entering emojis in desktop environments. Slack works that way as well, for instance.

And quite frankly, I just found out that VOGONS supports this as well as I was responding to your complaint. Cool! 😂

Reply 701 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
imi wrote on 2020-09-08, 17:06:

as in nice ones that are fit for a retro gaming forum ^^ like there were before :p

I'm so happy that I got my browser to not display those abominations that are unicode emoji.

The world has moved on

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 702 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote on 2020-09-08, 18:07:
imi wrote on 2020-09-08, 17:06:

as in nice ones that are fit for a retro gaming forum ^^ like there were before :p

I'm so happy that I got my browser to not display those abominations that are unicode emoji.

The world has moved on

Well.. I am not a big fan of emojis either, but I just type whatever smiley I want and if the board translates it into an emoji - fine, if it doesn't, then it's still an ASCII smiley. 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 703 of 743, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a keyboard shortcut in Windows 10 and there should be in other OSes as well to bring up the emoticon window.
Windows key + . (Period)
Windows key + ; (semicolon)

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 704 of 743, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, there isn't in Linux with KDE. Also, if you don't have a font that supports the emojis, all you see is boxes.

Forums usually have a fixed set of common emoticons (not emojis, just emoticon images that work everywhere) that people can add easily. Then if people want more than that, they can use unicode emojis through OS-specific means.

Reply 705 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The world has moved on

but where did it go to... and does one want to move there? x3

emoji.jpg
Filename
emoji.jpg
File size
217.36 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

😁

Reply 706 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote on 2020-09-08, 22:27:

Well, there isn't in Linux with KDE.

There is, and it's the same combination that Windows uses. Just make sure you're running a current version of KDE Plasma.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_i … sma-5.18-Emojis

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 707 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-09-08, 22:31:
but where did it go to... and does one want to move there? x3 emoji.jpg […]
Show full quote

The world has moved on

but where did it go to... and does one want to move there? x3
emoji.jpg

😁

ROFL!!!!

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 708 of 743, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not actually glitchy, everything is working as it should.

I just think it appears glitchy, that's all. It has to do with the disconnected, overlapping lines. It's disconcerting.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 709 of 743, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, there isn't in Linux with KDE. Also, if you don't have a font that supports the emojis, all you see is boxes.

Forums usually have a fixed set of common emoticons (not emojis, just emoticon images that work everywhere) that people can add easily. Then if people want more than that, they can use unicode emojis through OS-specific means.

The emoji's here should all be unicode.

Reply 711 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

AFAICT that's not really supported by phpBB these days, not without *modding* the whole thing (not via a plugin).
I really don't see why people actually want that anyway. I'm mostly using only 😉 and ;( and that's it.
Add to that, that I find emoticons actually less appealing than emojis. So, I don't think these will ever make a comeback. I thonk there has been a brief discussion earlier in this thread or one of the other threads about the style.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 712 of 743, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2020-09-09, 19:53:

I really don't see why people actually want that anyway.

And there lies the problem. You/staff doesn't
equal everyone. I seen multiple users complain about this since the upgrade dispite it being supported in current versions of phpbb.
Tbh the main reason I'm not around anymore is because this site is too mobile focused .
I'm old and hardly can see, the mouse pointer being over ridden doesn't help either.

Reply 713 of 743, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
austinham wrote on 2020-09-09, 20:42:

Tbh the main reason I'm not around anymore is because this site is too mobile focused

I honestly wouldn't say that. The theme is just as desktop-friendly as it is mobile-friendly. It simply appears to be a more balanced engine overall.

I'm old and hardly can see, the mouse pointer being over ridden doesn't help either.

Although it doesn't bother me as much, this seems to be pretty much the only annoyance, and one where I really can't understand the stubbornness of the staff in keeping it.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 714 of 743, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
And there lies the problem. You/staff doesn't equal everyone. I seen multiple users complain about this since the upgrade dispi […]
Show full quote

I really don't see why people actually want that anyway.

And there lies the problem. You/staff doesn't
equal everyone. I seen multiple users complain about this since the upgrade dispite it being supported in current versions of phpbb.
Tbh the main reason I'm not around anymore is because this site is too mobile focused .

And that is why I am using Stylus with Chrome. You can fix pretty much everything with a few lines of CSS overrides.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 715 of 743, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally bit the bullet and installed the Stylus add-on for Firefox and proceeded to remove the custom cursor. It's not perfect, and there is a specific situation in which the custom cursor comes back, which I suspect is due to JavaScript being involved.

This is the custom style I'm using if anyone is interested:

* {
cursor: auto !important;
}

a, a *,
button, button *,
summary,
.link-group_popup_button, .link-group_popup_button *,
.popup_button, .popup_button *,
.button, .button *,
.link-group_link, .link-group_link *,
.editor_bb_select_input, .editor_bb_select_input * {
cursor: pointer !important;
}

Reply 716 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really don't see why people actually want that anyway. I'm mostly using only 😉 and ;( and that's it.
Add to that, that I find emoticons actually less appealing than emojis. So, I don't think these will ever make a comeback. I thonk there has been a brief discussion earlier in this thread or one of the other threads about the style.

well that's one big thing, emojis do not have a style, it all depends on what device from what manufacturer you are using, and emojis can look vastly different, so even just for that reason they're just not a good tool anymore to express emotion... sure the general meaning behind an emoji might be equal across the board, but there are still nuances in there that can make a big difference.

now this might be purely a taste thing, but compared to classic emoticons modern unicode emoji just look outright "cheap" and childish, add to that that there are a gazillion different ones and it just takes away from the atmosphere of a close-knit forum and makes it feel more like facebook gossip.

and I've said this before, this is a forum mainly about retro computer games, and the pixel style of emoticons just fit that perfectly imho, and having only a few to choose from makes posts and the whole forum style in general look a lot more consistent and makes it fun to express certain emotions with them, because everyone gets used to the few specific emoticons in the forum.

Reply 717 of 743, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-09-08, 23:22:

Well, there isn't in Linux with KDE.

There is, and it's the same combination that Windows uses. Just make sure you're running a current version of KDE Plasma.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_i … sma-5.18-Emojis

Well, it doesn't work. I don't know what to tell you 😒

Reply 718 of 743, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure if it has been reported already or not but on an iPad the search functionality cannot be used. Tapping the magnifying glass icon just briefly starts expanding the search input but it quickly returns to the round button form. Long pressing the button also doesn't seem to help here. On phones it seems that a different search form is opened correctly, but on iPad (and possibly other touch enabled devices with larger screens) it doesn't work.

Reply 719 of 743, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
devius wrote on 2020-12-26, 22:07:

I'm not sure if it has been reported already or not but on an iPad the search functionality cannot be used.

It works, but somewhat awkwardly.

Tap and hold the magnifying glass icon to expand the field, then quickly tap on the gear icon that just appeared to activate Advanced Search.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi