VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 25, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Introducing: Wilhelmine (Mine for short) the little duck that kept showing up in our yard last spring...

CBN0h2k.jpg

and was soon joined by her husband Beauregard (Beau).

JyfcFf6.jpg

I read up on ducks and since they like water a lot, we put up a little pool for them.

https://i.imgur.com/NZts734.mp4

Ducks are cool little birds with a surprising amount of personality. They love eating lettuce floating in water and will signal alarm by slightly raising the feathers on top of their head, giving the impression of a tiny mohawk. Female ducks will also softly beep when alarmed or quack when they're really mad or scared. When they're happy to see you (like when you come with a bucket of rice or other grains) they'll vigorously nod their heads.

Typically, Mine would land on the garage next to our garden in the early morning and wait for us to get up and feed her (lettuce and grains, sometimes boiled potatoes). She would even knock on the back door glass with her beak to signal her presence. She was generally very interested in our living room and started trying to come inside, which is where we had to draw the line. Ducks are useful because they eat garden pests like snails, slugs and aphids, but are a lot more nimble and less destructive than chickens.

One day Mine stopped coming to our terrace, likely because she started nesting somewhere else, but we're still hoping she'll return next year.

HLCn7P3.jpg

Reply 22 of 25, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really, sardines? I hadn't heard that one, but apparently if it's fine for chicken it probably won't hurt ducks.

We also have lots of other birds here in the city, but they're nowhere near as sociable as ducks hence no pictures! Robins, tits, thrushes, blackbirds etc., even the occasional woodpecker. Hawks (buteos, but we call them buzzards) and sparrow hawks are also relatively common. Last year was the first time I saw a European green woodpecker.

Thanks, the garden looks best to me in late spring (especially when looking at the pictures while it's the middle of winter outside). It's very new, only started it the summer before last.

Reply 23 of 25, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know I already posted a photo of that osprey eating a fish on a tree branch, BUT today I had my better camera out and the moon was right next to it. It had to be done!

Osprey With Fish - Florida - January 3rd 2020.jpg
Filename
Osprey With Fish - Florida - January 3rd 2020.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 25, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I live in the NJ Pine Barrens and we have lots of wildlife around here. We have a ton of deer and turkeys as well as quite a few eastern timber ratler snakes. I have to find my pictures and post them.

Reply 25 of 25, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My dog found a friend...

lulu and friend1.jpg
Filename
lulu and friend1.jpg
File size
233.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

...and ate it.

lulu and friend2.jpg
Filename
lulu and friend2.jpg
File size
192.4 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

These little shits are annoying and keep coming back and I'm not even using a bait.

maus.jpg
Filename
maus.jpg
File size
340.91 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0