VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EDIT: scroll to the end of this post for the latest info on which old browsers work and ways to make them work if they don't.

Since many of us use and even build retro PC and other systems, many of us also have an incentive to want to access the VOGONS forums directly on these old systems.

It cannot reasonably be expected that the forum administrators support these old systems, as, after all, the purpose of the site is "Very Old Games on NEW Systems" and the vintage computing hobby has sort of been tacked onto that and grown into a large part of the site regardless. But this is not a primary concern of the forum administrators.

Unless the forum admins feel like being generous and providing some way to access and use VOGONS on old systems, the burden will probably fall on US, the users, to figure out some useful way to make this happen.

Now, this used to be very easy going back even as far as Windows 95; all that was required was a 1999-era or better browser (IE 5+, any Firefox) and an internet connection of some sort.

It could even be done on positively ancient browsers such as Internet Explorer 3 or Netscape Navigator 3; albeit with all the styling completely borked, but you could still log in and make posts.

But with the newly updated forums, this is no longer possible. The forced HTTPS alone makes it impossible to access the site without a proxy on anything other than RetroZilla, which is Firefox 2 updated with modern security protocols.

Loading the new site on RetroZilla renders the following, and you cannot log in (just redirects you back to the login page):

retrozilla-vogons-0.png
Filename
retrozilla-vogons-0.png
File size
115.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
retrozilla-vogons-1.png
Filename
retrozilla-vogons-1.png
File size
111.01 KiB
Views
File license
retrozilla-vogons-2.png
Filename
retrozilla-vogons-2.png
File size
78.73 KiB
Views
File license

Now, this renders not so horribly as might be expected. The use of HTML tables for the indexes definitely makes things easier. But the fact that you can't even log in, coupled with the forced HTTPS, makes the site all but useless on older browsers.

This thread is for discussion of ways to make the site usable on old machines.

Some ideas to throw out there right off the bat:

• Web Render Proxy: the "cheating" way to do it. Highly inefficient and totally useless for actually making posts, since you cannot directly input text into input boxes.
  • "WebOne" proxy or similar: will fix the HTTPS problem but probably will not fix the login issue, or any of the styling, obviously.
  • Some kind of system to "convert" new HTML/CSS into something that will at least be laid out properly using HTML tables on ancient browsers. I've been thinking about making something like this for a while, and this might finally give me a good excuse. But this would turn into a larger project to create a proxy that would "convert" any webpage, not just VOGONS.
  • An auxiliary "forum" that is accessible from and only really looks right on retro browsers. People could post things over there and link to their "retro" threads from their VOGONS threads. This would probably be the most future-proof and FUN solution, if done properly. (edit: and I would be willing to and possess the skills and resources to make this happen, if there is demand for it)

Thoughts and comments?

EDIT: notes and findings:

You can login using RetroZilla if you follow the instructions in this post: Re: Very New VOGONS on Old Systems: using the 2020 era forums on retro PCs to add the necessary ciphers. It works for now, but there's no telling for how long it will work. It doesn't look remotely pretty or pleasant, however.

It is also possible to log in with Links browser (for many OS's including DOS), if you point it directly to the HTTPS version of the site instead of just typing "vogons.org".

Last edited by keenmaster486 on 2020-01-02, 22:57. Edited 4 times in total.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 43, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote on 2019-12-30, 17:33:
  • An auxiliary "forum" that is accessible from and only really looks right on retro browsers. People could post things over there and link to their "retro" threads from their VOGONS threads. This would probably be the most future-proof and FUN solution, if done properly. (edit: and I would be willing to and possess the skills and resources to make this happen, if there is demand for it)

I don't recommend doing this at all. This would be segmenting the VOGONS userbase and in addition if you called it something VOGONS-related and did not give VOGONS admins/moderators similar powers as they have here, would be not only "confusing the brand" but also making them upset. Not to mention that they wouldn't want to be forced into managing -another- forum.

The technology-based proxy solution is a better fix. But maybe try PM-ing Snover, maybe it's possible something can be done VOGONS-end yet, IDK.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 43, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe implement a separate forum for retro PC's? The HCS64 Forums is a great low intensity resource site, but it's a custom built solution. Maybe look to that for inspiration?

--EDIT--
Yeah, post above me does make sense... Nevermind I guess.

P3B-F v1.03 | VIA C3 Nehemiah 1GHz @ 1.33GHz| 4x128 PC133 | GeForce4 Ti 4200 | OPL3-SA3+DreamBlaster X2GS

Reply 3 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand the desire to avoid having a separate website.

It's just very tempting as it would be a complete solution to the problem instead of some hacked-up retrofitted thing.

I might do something in this vein, that is not really a forum at all but more of a blog posting website, in order to mitigate the possibility of fragmenting the VOGONS userbase. And it wouldn't be affiliated or associated with VOGONS.

I might try to see what happens with the various proxies that are available. And maybe try my hand at writing some custom HTML/CSS parser code later this week. We'll see...

Reply 4 of 43, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

isn't there some very basic old mobile skin or something to add to this forum software? that would be a nice solution if it existed

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Download Retrozilla 2.2 https://github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla/releases/tag/2.2
2. Go to about:config
3. Right-click on white area. Click New->Boolean
4. Add the following and set each to true:
security.ssl3.ecdhe_ecdsa_aes_128_gcm_sha256
security.ssl3.ecdhe_rsa_aes_128_gcm_sha256

5. Go here: ucp.php?mode=login

Under login enter the username in the first box and the password in the second.

6. ???

7. Profit.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The above was posted with Retrozilla 2.2

Opera 10.70 Build 3488 which runs on Windows 95 supports DHE w/ TLS 1.2 so possibly can be added as a fallback.

Opera 12.02 which runs on 98/ME w/ kernelex would need DHE as well.

Reply 8 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Roytam1 FireFox 3.6.28 you'll need to add the ciphers as well. It's possible he may have updated this build already since I used once I had saved from awhile back.

Posted with 3.6.28

For Qtweb 3.8.4 for NT4

Right-click-> Inspect
Delete the head tag at the top of the page.

Reply 9 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as Retrozilla it just works for me but I'll try deleting my profile tomorrow.

Another proxy is ProxHTTPSProxy v1.5 customized by heinoganda on MSFN. Request it via PM on the MSFN forums.

It's Windows only, easy to set up for a regular user and I believe runs on either 2000/XP and above but 3.x,NT3.5,NT4,9x can point to it and surf SSL sites on old browsers.

Reply 10 of 43, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote on 2019-12-30, 17:33:

Unless the forum admins feel like being generous and providing some way to access and use VOGONS on old systems […]

1. Install stunnel on a modern computer on your LAN
  2. Add this configuration to stunnel.conf:
    [http-to-https]
    client = yes
    accept = 0.0.0.0:80
    connect = www.vogons.org:443
  3. Point the DNS on the old computer for www.vogons.org to the modern computer on the LAN running stunnel
  4. Go to http://www.vogons.org on the old computer in any browser.
  5. You’re done. That was easy!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can easily bypass the HTTP/HTTPS issue already using WebOne proxy. stunnel would work too I guess, but no need to go messing with DNS.

The main problems have to do with layout and functionality.

Reply 12 of 43, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not an usenet bridge to the forum? I’m not a fan of using a modern computer for a “MITM attack” or stunnel proccess to downgrade protocols on my local LAN.

I did it once to use Outlook with Windows For Workgroups 3.x, with my raspberry pi3 acting as the middle man. It also allowed me to access a few https sites on IE5.01.

But I had to undo everything because of security reasons. My rpi3 somehow was “hacked” and someone accessed the security cameras of my home. I reinforced the security, but I decided not to do that sort of thing again just to let my old Windows 3.x access the internet.

I’d rather find ways to update old programs for a bit more of modern browsing/emailing, as well as updates to dosbox’s networking patches for modern browsing. Instead of using something in the middle of the connection which would render my dosbox windows 3.x networking completely useless when I am not at home.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 13 of 43, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think we shouldn't use a bridge or any extra software that needs to be run on the VOGONS server.

Why? Because the web is always evolving and this site will probably use more and more incompatible technologies in the future. There is no way to keep it running on IE 5.5 in 10 years.
Let's just cut support for these old systems and call it a day. I know we all love our retro machines, but it just doesn't make sense to downgrade the security and features of this page for this compatibility.

There are already ways to browse the modern web with software like WebOne, that should be enough for everyone to figure out something for their machines.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 14 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bfcastello wrote on 2019-12-31, 22:25:

Why not an usenet bridge to the forum? I’m not a fan of using a modern computer for a “MITM attack” or stunnel proccess to downgrade protocols on my local LAN.

I would love to create some sort of "bridge" that is a website that "translates" VOGONS to old browsers. It would be publicly hosted (by me) and not require any special configuration. But that would require a lot of work, and I'm not even sure if it's possible.

schmatzler wrote on 2019-12-31, 23:12:

Let's just cut support for these old systems and call it a day. I know we all love our retro machines, but it just doesn't make sense to downgrade the security and features of this page for this compatibility.

I agree, but I'm not willing to give up. I'll figure out some way to do it without asking the VOGONS admins to downgrade security.

Edit: accessing the forums via the Links browser results in the same issue with logging in.

So here's an issue: I cannot log in with old browsers. Including RetroZilla. It just says "the submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." with no further explanation.

DosFreak said he got it to work with RetroZilla but it sure doesn't work for me.

Reply 15 of 43, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can log in on my Windows 2000 build, with both Pale Moon 28.x and latest SeaMonkey.

I’ve seen someone reporting IE5.5 works, but I am yet to see it, because IE5.01 didn’t work (and neither Netscape 4.08). Actually I did not expect IE 5.01 to work, because TLS...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 16 of 43, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The login does not work because the session cookie has the secure flag, so the browser ignores it since it comes over an insecure channel from the browser’s perspective. If you want to log in for some reason you will probably need to use an HTTP-aware proxy which can rewrite the Set-Cookie header to strip the flag.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 19 of 43, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But he has a genuine reason for such security: the spamming we had in some periods here when we had the previous version.

JOBS, Steve.