Common searches

Reply 21 of 43, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2019-12-30, 21:47:

security.ssl3.ecdhe_ecdsa_aes_128_gcm_sha256
security.ssl3.ecdhe_rsa_aes_128_gcm_sha256

I have both ciphers enabled (Firefox 38.8.0) and yet the login page (ucp.php?mode=login) does not actually log me in.

Reply 22 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried Retrozilla on a different computer and worked fine. After login goes back to the forum as a logged on user.

Firefox 38.8.0 doesn't need those ciphers added. I can login to the site using the regular logon method.

You shouldn't be using the regulaer Firefox 38.8.0 though:

List of Web Browsers For All Operating Systems

Roytambrowsers:
http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

XP
Firefox 45 ESR for SSE1
Firefox 59 ESR for SSE2
New Moon v27 No SSE
New Moon v27 SSE1
New Moon v28 SSE2

Vanilla
Regular Firefox 12.0
K-Meleon 74 Roytam1
New Moon 26.5 Roytam1

BlackWingCat extended Kernel
FireFox 45 SSE1
Firefox 52 SSE2
New Moon v27 NO SSE
New Moon v27 SSE1
New Moon v28 SSE2

Windows 95-ME Vanilla
Use RetroZilla

NT 3.51
Use Retrozilla

Windows NT4
Use QTWeb 3.8.4 or FireFox 3.6.28 from Roytam1 or Retrozilla

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-01-01, 18:44. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2020-01-01, 18:25:

Tried Retrozilla on a different computer and worked fine. After login goes back to the forum as a logged on user.

I am at a loss as to what is going on here.

RetroZilla does not work for me, no matter what computer I try it on. Just redirects back to the login page.

Same thing happens with Links.

Both have no issue with HTTPS.

Edit: I should mention that I might theoretically be able to log in with even older browsers (like Netscape), using WebOne proxy, but I am prevented from doing so by the fact that I cannot submit the form. I think it might have to do with the difference between <input type="submit"> and <button type="submit">, which serve the exact same purpose, but I've noticed only the input tag works on older browsers.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 24 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried disabling cookies which does prevent login but it doesn't redirect back to the logon page it just redirects back to the vogons site. You can try the option in the cookie manager to allow cookies from vogons but I never had to do this.

Also make sure you are using https and not http and putting the username in the blank box above the username and the password in the username field. The Password field (aka 2factor) should be blank.

Reply 25 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, I didn't notice before that it actually does accept connections over HTTP. I thought it was forcing HTTPS.

When I try to use HTTPS, RetroZilla says it doesn't have the security protocol!

Is this something I have to add/enable?

Reply 27 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, I added the ciphers and it works. Hallelujah! Of course everything looks horrible as none of the styling works at all, but here I am posting from RetroZilla.

This is one step in the right direction; this makes VOGONS usable (if not remotely pretty or pleasant) from OS's as far back as Windows 95, as long as you have enough RAM!

Reply 28 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say put a bug report in at the Retrozilla site and possibly PM Roytam at MSFN to see what can be done from the Retrozilla side.

Reply 29 of 43, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-01-01, 19:53:

OK, I added the ciphers and it works. Hallelujah! Of course everything looks horrible as none of the styling works at all, but here I am posting from RetroZilla.

This is one step in the right direction; this makes VOGONS usable (if not remotely pretty or pleasant) from OS's as far back as Windows 95, as long as you have enough RAM!

How much RAM is enough? I’ve been using the minimum with my Win2k VM...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 30 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-01, 20:07:

How much RAM is enough? I’ve been using the minimum with my Win2k VM...

For RetroZilla, the system requirements state you should have 64 MB or more. I've never tried it with less.

I have a laptop with 96 MB, and running RetroZilla uses up more than half of it. Loading large webpages causes it to bloat pretty quick.

This is atrocious in comparison to something like Netscape Navigator, which might use maybe 10 MB on a very bad day.

Reply 31 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Surprise... I can actually log in with Links! This makes VOGONS usable on OS's as old as MS-DOS with a 386 computer.

All I had to do was point it to the HTTPS version instead of just typing "vogons.org". This made it work.

Once again it is neither pretty nor pleasant to use, but it does work. Wow.

Typing this post from Links on MS-DOS on my 486 right now.

Reply 33 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WebOne proxy fails to load VOGONS saying the SSL handshake failed.

Previously I was attempting it but it was not loading the HTTPS version.

Reply 34 of 43, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2020-01-01, 18:25:
Tried Retrozilla on a different computer and worked fine. After login goes back to the forum as a logged on user. […]
Show full quote

Firefox 38.8.0 doesn't need those ciphers added. I can login to the site using the regular logon method.

You shouldn't be using the regulaer Firefox 38.8.0 though:

List of Web Browsers For All Operating Systems

Roytambrowsers:
http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

XP
Firefox 45 ESR for SSE1
Firefox 59 ESR for SSE2
New Moon v27 No SSE
New Moon v27 SSE1
New Moon v28 SSE2

Vanilla
Regular Firefox 12.0
K-Meleon 74 Roytam1
New Moon 26.5 Roytam1

BlackWingCat extended Kernel
FireFox 45 SSE1
Firefox 52 SSE2
New Moon v27 NO SSE
New Moon v27 SSE1
New Moon v28 SSE2

Windows 95-ME Vanilla
Use RetroZilla

NT 3.51
Use Retrozilla

Windows NT4
Use QTWeb 3.8.4 or FireFox 3.6.28 from Roytam1 or Retrozilla

You can use SeaMonkey 2.49.5 for Win2k with BlackWingCat, this SeaMonkey version seems to have the security fixes for Firefox 52 ESR.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 35 of 43, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm that in Windows 3.11 For Workgroups I cannot log in with IE 5.01... I remember that I was able do that with the previous forum version, somehow.

I haven't tried Opera 3.62 yet, but chances are it will crash on me. I tried Netscape 4.08 but I had no luck either.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 36 of 43, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using Win2k I can't login with K-Meleon or New Moon v26 (I can't try v27 as KernelEx systematically fails to install). RetroZilla partially works (can't login even when adding the required ciphers + doesn't load the CSS resulting in the forums displaying incorrectly)

NM just hardlocks and chokes the CPU down while K-Meleon gives the dreaded "Script Busy" prompt before freezing and hogging down the CPU as well.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 37 of 43, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote on 2020-01-20, 16:29:

Using Win2k I can't login with K-Meleon or New Moon v26 (I can't try v27 as KernelEx systematically fails to install). RetroZilla partially works (can't login even when adding the required ciphers + doesn't load the CSS resulting in the forums displaying incorrectly)

NM just hardlocks and chokes the CPU down while K-Meleon gives the dreaded "Script Busy" prompt before freezing and hogging down the CPU as well.

You have to install blackwingcats latest one, not the kernelex intended for win9x

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 38 of 43, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's precisely the one that I tried to install, but it would always either result in a black screen at startup (it would go past the Win2k startup screen then to a black screen) or a flat out BSOD-loop.

I gave up trying. I'll just stick with K-Meleon (I got it working, I don't know how, but I got it going), or eventually stunnel/ProxHTTPSProxy.

Says, if anyone know how to speed K-Meleon up on such a old system (a meagre Coppermine P3 800MHz), please do tell, I'm all ears. I don't know if I should add more RAM (I think I have 256mb at the moment) or whatnot (on most sites without too much Jscript it goes silky smooth, but on Vogons it nearly chokes itself to death).

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 39 of 43, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote on 2020-01-20, 20:08:

That's precisely the one that I tried to install, but it would always either result in a black screen at startup (it would go past the Win2k startup screen then to a black screen) or a flat out BSOD-loop.

I gave up trying. I'll just stick with K-Meleon (I got it working, I don't know how, but I got it going), or eventually stunnel/ProxHTTPSProxy.

Says, if anyone know how to speed K-Meleon up on such a old system (a meagre Coppermine P3 800MHz), please do tell, I'm all ears. I don't know if I should add more RAM (I think I have 256mb at the moment) or whatnot (on most sites without too much Jscript it goes silky smooth, but on Vogons it nearly chokes itself to death).

I have one (BWC kernel ex) that is working on my current Win 2k VM, it's actually an ISO image with some autorun scripts to guide you through the process, I found it last year. I'll see if I can upload somewhere later because I can't remember where I downloaded it. This one lets me use latest SeaMonkey and New Moon 28.8x, both renders Youtube pretty well.

EDIT: I've found it. If the forum rules can let me post the link here, I'll leave it here. If not, admins can tell me to remove.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-01-21, 00:33. Edited 1 time in total.

JOBS, Steve.