VOGONS

Common searches

How to open regedit in Windows 3.1?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cannot find registry in Windows 3.1.

Reply 1 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is no registry like this in Windows 3.1. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry#Windows_3.11 (and the comment on top)
And http://www.win31.de/etips.htm
There are good and easy ini files that have your back!

Last edited by Dominus on 2020-01-03, 16:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
dann86 wrote on 2020-01-03, 16:44:

As stated above windows 3x does not have regedit or a registry. I think 3.11 added a reg.dat file for com objects or something.

There IS a reg.dat introduced with Windows 3.1 and some programs even used it, there is also a regedt16.exe. Newer versions of this invoked with /v are actually useable (as found on the second link I just added).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 11, by dann86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-03, 16:49:
dann86 wrote on 2020-01-03, 16:44:

As stated above windows 3x does not have regedit or a registry. I think 3.11 added a reg.dat file for com objects or something.

There IS a reg.dat introduced with Windows 3.1 and some programs even used it, there is also a regedt16.exe. Newer versions of this invoked with /v are actually useable (as found on the second link I just added).

I thought it was added in 3.11? Not really 100% sure. Its been years since i used 3.1.

Reply 6 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure if it was just a urban myth but remember one countries military was reluctant to upgrade to Win95 due to the introduction of the registry as they thought 1 central file with so much information of the setup as a security risk.

Reply 7 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it isn't a crazy idea. If your read forensics blogs you might be amazed at all the information they can pull from various locations but really if you access to the system you can also search the hard drive for .ini files with a script so consolidated vs spread out security wise isn't much of an issue. No ACLs in DOS and 9x days either.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-01-07, 00:25. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 11, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 3.1 does have REGEDIT.EXE and REG.DAT, but I think it's only used for file types registration.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 10 of 11, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 3.10 and 3.11 (both original and "for Workgroups") have the registry and its editor (c:\windows\reg.dat and c:\windows\regedit.exe). But it is containing only HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive and nothing other. So if the RegEdit is started without arguments it will only show file type/OLE associations. To see the registry as is, use verbose mode: regedit /v .

If it is not present, probably it's not installed via Windows Setup utility (Components-> Accesoires->Registration or Accessoires->File types, sorry, currently I have no English-localized version of W3.1x to say exactly name, but in Russian it is not a simply "registry editor" and non easy to find).

Attachments

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 11 of 11, by Rav

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the information.

I moved my windows 3.1 install to a network drive along with all Windows applications so the drive letter changed from C to E.
I got to use the registry editor to fix a few programs that stopped running because "missing C:\xx\yy\zz...".