Common searches

Why don’t PC parts work in a Mac ?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 69, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have Apple chaged the design of their keyboards yet?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 61 of 69, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-01-14, 05:56:

No, it's the same chicklet bullshit keyboards and I really have no idea how anyone can claim they are productive on an Apple product with such terrible keyboards (and mice too..)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 62 of 69, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, they reverted back to the original macbook design and ditched the butterfly keyboard for the new 16-inch MacBook Pro launched recently. It’s the same I have in my 2012 MBP, and practically the same used in their Magic Keyboards. You can even change the keys to use the white ones from the Magic Keyboard

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/www.theverge. … issor-butterfly

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 63 of 69, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah that ultra thin keyboard was a mistake, and I'm glad they came to their senses. My 2015's keyboard isn't exactly "full size" but I find it about as comfortable as any modern laptop I've tried. I've typed on it enough I'm starting to wear into the plastic in a few places. Not sure about the mouse comment -- I only use a mouse with my Windows/Linux desktops. The touchpad is so natural and responsive that I've actually considered getting one for my desk too.. which would have been a difficult proposition to imagine before I got the MBP. 😀 There are a handful of tasks where I still prefer a mouse, but very few, and then I really miss the gestures.

Never tried Coda, but I use Kate (the KDE Advanced Text Editor) for writing code. It doesn't have all the features you would usually associate with an IDE, but it's fast and lightweight, and I've really grown accustomed to the way it handles auto-indenting and such. I find that most "smart" editors work against me, while Kate and I get along really well. That is probably the #1 reason I keep a Gentoo VM on my MBP. PCB and schematic editors require that I keep a Win 7 VM. So I usually have all three OSes running at once. 😉

Reply 64 of 69, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@SirNickity: Nice scheme you have there!

Yeah I love the trackpad. I am very used to the gestures for years. At work we don't have a trackpad so I have to use the magic mouse (I work in a MBP with a magic keyboard and a magic mouse along with an external monitor, so...). At home I have both the keyboard and trackpad to do the same thing. I also have a spare magic mouse for more complex tasks like Photoshop designs.

But the trackpad for daily usage is much better.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 65 of 69, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You mean the scissors one on my 2015 MacBook Air 11 that I am typing on, the 1st generation butterfly on my 2015 MacBook (company discard), the 2nd generation one on this 2017 MBP13 next to me, the 3rd gen one on the 2019 MBP13 with the sealant membrane, the shallower travel scissors that were on the MBP16 that I deployed at work 2 weeks ago, or the CherryMX based mechanical action keyboard attached to the iMac 21 on my desk at the moment?

Reply 66 of 69, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-13, 21:12:
I agree with every word you wrote. However, I think you need to try out the Dell XPS models, most particularly the Dell XPS 15" […]
Show full quote
SirNickity wrote on 2020-01-13, 19:54:

I agree with every word you wrote. However, I think you need to try out the Dell XPS models, most particularly the Dell XPS 15" 9570. Then you will (probably) keep your words the same, but you might feel tempted by the power of this XPS model.

You can run Windows 10 on it, sure, and the screen is touch screen, but here comes the better part. It's fully hackintoshable! You can run macOS on it, the touch screen also works. I don't know about the price - it is damn expensive here in Brazil but not as much as the high end MBPs that can compete with this Dell model. I've settled for a second hand 2012 13" MacBook Pro with 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM. The 2012 model is the last one that could upgrade most parts easily.

I had two MacBooks and a hackintosh in the past (2010-2013 with a 2010 13" MBP, and 2014-2018 with a 2014 11" MacBook Air, and finally 2018-2019 with a Dell G5 hackintosh which didn't last more than three months because of its sturdy and heavy design). I did a desktop hackintosh four years ago that was much more rock solid than the G5.

Ah yes. The XPS15 9570 that is the bane of my existence.

Either the nVidia drivers crashes, or the firmware turns off the built-in LCD screen while connected to the WD15 docking stations and never turns it back on while undocked, or the LCD fails after 6 months because the LCD ribbon cable are weak and prone to breakage on daily public transit commutes, or the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (iRST) drivers will BSOD the machine within 2 minutes of power-up if you are on a clean install of Windows 10 1903 or 1909 (requires an immediate driver update), or all the fun of having the battery controller freak out and not being able to power up the machine until you physically open it up, disconnect the battery inside and wait for its power state to reset, re-connect it (this also impacts the Latitude 74x0 series) and then allow you to turn it back on.
It's one thing to play with it for 30 minutes. it's another thing to deal with an office full of XPS15 users and their cost-cutting barbie doll Costco casual gamer laptop for months on-end. I freaking hate that series of machines.

Reply 67 of 69, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-14, 11:29:

Yes, they reverted back to the original macbook design and ditched the butterfly keyboard for the new 16-inch MacBook Pro launched recently. It’s the same I have in my 2012 MBP, and practically the same used in their Magic Keyboards. You can even change the keys to use the white ones from the Magic Keyboard

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/www.theverge. … issor-butterfly

Cool that's good to know. Looks like some users have their heads in the sand re the issues with butteryfly keyboards.

Reply 68 of 69, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ragefury32: My God, I didn’t knew that. I think this experience varies for different persons. For example I never had a good experience with HP laptops, never.

@Caluser2000: Yes, like I said before, I am an apple fan, but I am a different one that can recognize where they are wrong and doing sh**, not only the good things. I am very critical of their products - just like how Jobs would be when things aren’t how he wanted them to be.

Btw, I have been saying that I have a 2012 MBP, but this isn’t correct, its a 2013. I completely forgot it until I checked it because my dad asked for it. Well, 16gb ram soldered (yikes!!) but at least I can change the SSD (it originally had 256gb, but previous owner switched for a 1TB SSD, thanks!

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 69 of 69, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah getting stuff secound hand can have advantages. Just popped in to the local Cash Converters and they have a shit load of the smaller Macbooks there..We are a univercity town and no dought when school starts some will be snapped up. The only system I was interested in was an older Lenevo i2 desktop system, quite small and quite industral looking with all the cooling holes on the side and at the front. Liked the flip up cover as well which remineded me of my 286. It'll make a nice linux setup and compliment my eeepc. My personnel computing needs are quite modest and if I want to run a '90s game I'll fire up one of my older x86 systems or maybe an Acorn RiscPC x86 RiscOS session.