VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Currently I am working on trying to figure out why the server loads are running high, in order to improve the performance of the Web site. If you noticed the site disappearing for a moment, that was me trying to fix things. For now, at least, things are running well.

I have been tailing the access log for the site while doing this (checking for any malformed requests) and am seeing way too many Internet Explorer users. Firefox 1.0 is out now, so you have no excuse for using IE.

84-121-196-92.onocable.ono.com - "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; FunWebProducts)" -- Congratulations, you've got spyware. If you were a registered user, I would publicly humiliate you.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 10, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

Currently I am working on trying to figure out why the server loads are running high, in order to improve the performance of the Web site. If you noticed the site disappearing for a moment, that was me trying to fix things. For now, at least, things are running well.

I have been tailing the access log for the site while doing this (checking for any malformed requests) and am seeing way too many Internet Explorer users. Firefox 1.0 is out now, so you have no excuse for using IE.

There's nothing wrong with IE as long as your a user who's alert and under control of your PC - i.e. you don't say 'Yes to the 'do you wish for your PC to be infected by this download' popup!.

For testng of my website work I ensure I use the major offerrings (Safari, IE/Mac, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera and of course IE). However, I don't feel then need to preach to my site's users about which is 'better' 😀 Better is highly subjective. Firefox is only flavour of the month 'cause it's the latest Mozilla track code. Opera was considered cool for a while but not so much now?!

Reply 3 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FireFox 'flavor' of the month! 🤣!

Internet Explorer was the upstart that only gained dominance through it's inclusion with Windows. Netscape has been and looks like it always will be (through FireFox/Mozilla) the best way to browse the Internet.

Also Internet Explorer is far more vulnerable than you think and does not rely soley on popups for it's vulnerabilities.

I've never considered Opera to be 'cool', better than IE of course but never 'cool'.

And finally.... Considering that Snover built this site with Firefox in mind and does not care that much for IE compliance it's perfectly within his rights to "preach" to IE users. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

btw I noticed that database sometimes seems to lag and hence causing many delays.

Noticable if you edit/delete a post.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 10, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Well, that's what it is - until the time when another underdog gets released.

Internet Explorer was the upstart that only gained dominance through it's inclusion with Windows. Netscape has been and looks like it always will be (through FireFox/Mozilla) the best way to browse the Internet.

Netscape is crappy compared to pretty much all other browsers available (especially those from the same codebase!)

Also Internet Explorer is far more vulnerable than you think and does not rely soley on popups for it's vulnerabilities.

No, you assume I know little about the risks using IE. I've been bit once by an HTA delivered payload butI keep a careful watch on what goes on!

And finally.... Considering that Snover built this site with Firefox in mind and does not care that much for IE compliance it's perfectly within his rights to "preach" to IE users. 😉

I'd doubt he was using 0.1 (which he would have to have been if he started the site with Firefox - or Phoenix as it was known then - in mind) but that's cool nonetheless. As I said, I didn't say any browser was any better. You have to put yourself into the shoes of people "who don't care". I have to test my websites under IE/Mac 'cause I have had complaints from users who don't wan't to upgrade and are happy using an arcane browser 🙁 Mad it would seem, but that's the way life is I guess!

There are two things wrong with IE6. 1) It's not standards compliant 2) It's got some serious bad security issues. The first is not applied to IE alone - but it is the worst offender. Just try doing a CSS site across all browsers - a nightmare! The second, as I said before, is OK as long as the user keeps the weekly hotfixes applied and is very diligent on what the browser (and their system) is up to!

And btw Snover, I've not noticed any slowdowns?! Always is a great site 😀

Reply 6 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Snover wrote:

Except IE will jump to new posts, while FF 1.0 will not?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 10, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Reckless wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

Well, that's what it is - until the time when another underdog gets released.

Anyone who is using Firefox because it's an underdog rather than because it's better probably needs a visit to the mental evaluations board anyhow.

As for the jumping issue, I was using the forum from home for a couple of days before coming on holiday (yes, I'm reading VOGONS while on holiday...) and having to use IE, and it worked every time for me on both my computers. I'd suggest you look to your own settings/extensions rather than blaming the browser.

Reply 9 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mm, this site is very heavy CSS; most of my new designs are almost exclusively CSS for layout. They work in Opera, KHTML-based and Gecko-based browsers.
I use the full Mozilla Suite myself, have done so exclusively since I think a little after 0.9.0, so that's really what the site is designed for, but most people don't need the MailNews. 😀
Qbix, I'm not sure about the problems with edit/delete delays, send me a message on ICQ sometime to remind me and I'll see about giving you some better server access so you can look around a bit, if you want. I can try tweaking mySQL a bit, it seems to be using a lot of CPU time at moments.

Regarding the jumps to last post in Firefox, you are correct, there seems to be a bug in Firefox that is allowing the JavaScript for the <tr> to override the child <a> elements. I'll disable the <tr onclick> Javascript.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Snover wrote:

Regarding the jumps to last post in Firefox, you are correct, there seems to be a bug in Firefox that is allowing the JavaScript for the <tr> to override the child <a> elements. I'll disable the <tr onclick> Javascript.

Thanks Snover.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions