VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 109, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote on 2020-04-08, 20:23:

then I could actually see either Doomsday engine, or Vavoom engine being used as an engine.

Neither of these Doom Engine forks are particularly "good", infact I think Vavoom is a dead project altogether these days... (or atleast I don't know of a current maintainer)

It's worth more to use either 3DGE or (g)zdoom.

And in some ways the Brutal Doom engine

"Brutal Doom engine"? It doesn't have a engine of it's own, it just uses gzdoom or zandronum...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 21 of 109, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-04-09, 05:25:
Neither of these Doom Engine forks are particularly "good", infact I think Vavoom is a dead project altogether these days... (or […]
Show full quote

then I could actually see either Doomsday engine, or Vavoom engine being used as an engine.

Neither of these Doom Engine forks are particularly "good", infact I think Vavoom is a dead project altogether these days... (or atleast I don't know of a current maintainer)

It's worth more to use either 3DGE or (g)zdoom.

And in some ways the Brutal Doom engine

"Brutal Doom engine"? It doesn't have a engine of it's own, it just uses gzdoom or zandronum...

Okay, well I was thinking 😀 I mean, you could definitely use a doom engine fork as some of the graphical stuff for a remake of Eye Of The Beholder series. Whether it is Doomsday engine, Vavoom and for that matter Brutal doom, I have seen Brutal Doom using the doomsday engine, but then again there is also Risen3D Doom engine, oh yeah I have just seen 3DGE Doom engine, but then again I think all of those engines are pretty good.

Reply 24 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Grand Prix Manager 2
MicroProse F1 Grand Prix series, because Codemasters F1 2019 is... S H I T !

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 27 of 109, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably Ultima Underworld 1 and 2. There have been attempts but nothing was ever finished.

Also Little Big Adventure 1 and 2. There are also remake projects but never completed. I might actually enjoy a real sequel more than a remake.

And Terra Nova. Never saw a remake of that.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 28 of 109, by Oj0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In no particular order

Tomb Raider 1,2,3
Need for Speed 2, Hot Pursuit 2
Future Cop LADP
Grim Fandango
Dungeon Keeper
Battlefield 1942, 2
Deus Ex
Black & White
Bio Menace
Commander Keen

Bondye: Pentium II 400MHz, AOpen AX6BC EZ, 256MB PC-100, 40GB IDE HDD, PowerColor EvilKing 4 Voodoo4 4500 AGP
Daily Driver: Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming5, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB SSD + 10.5TB SATA HDD, GeForce GTX 1050

Reply 29 of 109, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- ShadowMan:
This is actually being worked on by NightDive right now.

- Fury 3, Hellbender and Terminal Velocity:
There is an engine remake in Java, but it seems pretty dead.

- The Independence War games from Particle Systems:
They do still work on modern systems, but some of the calculations are off, glitching out missions to the point where they softlock the game or crash to desktop.

- Anachronox

- Bully / Canis Canem Edit:
It only got a remaster on Android with additional missions and better graphics. Playing on a touchscreen with a horrible control scheme, what were they thinking?

- Gex 3D

- Jade Empire

- No One Lives Forever 1 +2:
NightDive is trying hard to get these games, but they are in legal limbo. That makes me really sad. 🙁 I've played these countless hours when I was young.

- POD

- Rune:
It's actually getting a sequel, but a remaster would be nice, too.

- Soul Reaver

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 30 of 109, by Oj0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2020-04-19, 14:35:

I love you!!

- Fury 3, Hellbender and Terminal Velocity:
There is an engine remake in Java, but it seems pretty dead.

Fury3 and Terminal Velocity were great - pity

- Gex 3D

Really? Where?

- No One Lives Forever 1 +2:
NightDive is trying hard to get these games, but they are in legal limbo. That makes me really sad. 🙁 I've played these countless hours when I was young.

I know about this - it's a pity 🙁

On another note, the source code for Homeworld Cataclysm was lost so it wasn't remastered. I wonder how much work it would be to pull the source using Ghidra and work from there?

Bondye: Pentium II 400MHz, AOpen AX6BC EZ, 256MB PC-100, 40GB IDE HDD, PowerColor EvilKing 4 Voodoo4 4500 AGP
Daily Driver: Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming5, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB SSD + 10.5TB SATA HDD, GeForce GTX 1050

Reply 32 of 109, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Neverhood in HD would be quite something, but that is also probably buried in legal limbo. And considering Armikrog didn't perform very well, it seems even less likely.

Maybe SepterraCore? I'm a little surprised that hasn't happened already. Most people seem frustrated with the slowness of the engine more than anything else.

Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth doesn't really count as a remaster, but it would be nice to see it emerge from limbo.

Remember Night of the Meteor, that remake of Maniac Mansion in DOTT style? Wonder if they're still working on that.
https://www.night-of-the-meteor.de/en/

Or how about Beasts and Bumpkins? That used to be pretty popular on abandonware sites once. It did not seem to agree with modern Windows very much either.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2020-04-07, 08:49:

Quest for Glory series doesn't really need a remake, but a sequel instead.

QFG2 VGA came out quite a few years ago already.

Star Control II is perfect as it is, no remakes needed.

For that we have The Ur-Quan Masters. Not sure if the HD version was ever finished.

Reply 33 of 109, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oj0 wrote on 2020-04-19, 12:07:

Grim Fandango

https://store.steampowered.com/app/316790/Gri … ngo_Remastered/

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 36 of 109, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bregolin wrote on 2020-04-19, 22:02:

And if you haven't played it, I would strongly recommended skipping the original and just going with the remaster.

Reply 37 of 109, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd like to see Black & White remastered with fixes to some of the controls and quirks in the game play.

My dream remaster is Blade Runner from 1997 by Westwood Studios

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 38 of 109, by Lawnie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The original Dune from Cryo for me.

There's just something about the atmosphere of Arrakis that has never been captured better by any other title. The beautiful music, the glorious sunsets, the ability to switch seamlessly between first person narrative adventure and overworld RTS.

It doesn't need much done to be honest, widescreen support, maybe re-recorded voice acting and soundtrack and WASD support. Unfortunately it's in licence hell at the minute, so it's going to have to be a fan effort.

GET OFF MY LAWN - Yet another retro PC game review channel.