VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 68, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wrote:

The original Tomb Raider with modern WASD controls would be nice.

The original Tomb Raider Tank Controls work very well if you take your time.
The grid system used is very precise and you can get past anything with the right key presses.

Reply 61 of 68, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a lot of fantastic flight sims out there that have terrible UIs, engines (API support) and controller support. I would love to see things like Jane's AH64-D Longbow, Longbow 2, F-15, F/A-18 games updated, for example.

Unfortunately space sims have also gone the way of the dodo.. The original Lucasarts X-Wing and TIE Fighter games in a modern engine would also be amazing. Even though I love the FSCP it is more of a hack to me than a real remaster, so an updated Interplay Freespace 1/2 would also be great.

The same goes for some of the best racing games from Crammond and Papyrus featuring the best physics engines and best seasons of their genres: Grand Prix 2, Grand Prix 4, Grand Prix Legends.

I also miss the immediate accessability but adequate sophistication and incredible fun of some early strategy games such as the Microprose/Maxis stuff: Civilization II, Sim City 2000, Transport Tycoon, Theme Park, Railroad Tycoon II, Sim Earth etc.

Some genres have somehow gone extinct and they used to be incredible fun, I don't see why they are not revived as simple indie games; topdown racing games like Super Cars 2, Skidmarks etc. for example, where are they now?

I really miss some of the old text/graphics adventure hybrids such as The Guild of Thieves and Wonderland from Magnetic Scrolls, I wonder why nobody does games like these anymore.. Not fit for the millenail generation?

These are off the top of my mind..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 62 of 68, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-21, 06:51:

Some genres have somehow gone extinct and they used to be incredible fun, I don't see why they are not revived as simple indie games; topdown racing games like Super Cars 2, Skidmarks etc. for example, where are they now?

A potential sequel to Skidmarks was planned for PC and PS1 but was never completed.
Motorstorm RC was released on PS3 and Vita in 2012 and I think it was the last game in the topdown racing genre.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 63 of 68, by Desomondo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tannerstevo wrote on 2020-05-20, 22:26:
wrote:

The original Tomb Raider with modern WASD controls would be nice.

The original Tomb Raider Tank Controls work very well if you take your time.
The grid system used is very precise and you can get past anything with the right key presses.

They are functional, sure. I've beaten the game enough times to know it inside out and back to front so I can agree they work. But I don't think for a second they couldn't be improved with mouse driven free-look and WASD like controls, just like Doom or Duke or Quake. And if you were doing to remaster it you might has well update the controls while you were at it. Otherwise you end up with a StarCraft remaster situation: all this new art and widescreen support, etc. but it doesn't have a single UI improvement from even Blizzard's own later games. Sort of defeats the point IMHO.

Win98 PC: Pentium 4 3.2 | Gigabyte GA-8I865GME-775 | Geforce3 Ti200 | Aureal Vortex 2 + YMF744
WinXP PC: Core 2 Quad Q9400 | Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT | Geforce GTX 280 | X-Fi
Win10 PC: i7-8700k | ASUS Z370 TUF | GeForce RTX 2070 Super | X-Fi Titanium

Reply 64 of 68, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-20, 14:31:

No, remastered games are never good. thay never leave the game it self alone and change things for the worse. I get wanting better graphics and sound and what not, but it never ends up that way.

can a retract this? A remake of ske free would be cool. Can't see how they would fudge that up.

Reply 65 of 68, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My vote goes to : Redneck Rampage and Dark Forces.

Foxconn Q45M E8400 Core2 Duo 3GB DDR2 800 BFG Geforce 7950GT 512MB X-Fi Xtreme Music 500W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 40GB Voodoo 3000 16MB SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
Intel DH61CR i3 LGA-1155 8GB DDR3 EVGA 1050ti 4GB 480GB SSD 650W

Reply 66 of 68, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
austinham wrote on 2020-05-21, 14:37:

can a retract this? A remake of ske free would be cool. Can't see how they would fudge that up.

Ski Free would be the easiest game to fudge up royally. Much of its charm lies in its simplicity. I can readily imagine someone trying to throw in unsightly pre-rendered graphics.

Just look at what they've included in the Edge browser:
https://www.howtogeek.com/659743/how-to-play- … t-surfing-game/

Reply 67 of 68, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Less remastered and more completely remade, but Deus Ex - Invisible War.

The overall concept was decent, but the combination of an engine that ran badly at the time and an insulting amount of oversimplification to cater to what they thought the Xbox audience wanted kind of killed it. The PS2 version of the original Deus Ex did a much better job of adapting the concept to a console.

The game's okay, but levels bigger than a shoebox and more complexity would vastly improve it. I don't think it would ever happen though; so much effort would be needed that it would probably make more sense to create a completely new game.