VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I live out in the "boonies" so my internet options are nil outside of radiowave/satellite providers which you end up paying a premium
for not much in return. Would using my phone for tethering or as a hotspot be sufficient as far as getting windows updates and using
Steam? Usually get 4G speeds, hoping 5G gets here soon!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No one can say for sure since no one knows what your signal quality is and the providers lie.

Best bet is to try it and see.

Once you've established that it works well or not for you then you need to worry about data caps.

If you have an "unlimited data plan" it's usually only unlimited on the phone itself not for tethering. There are workarounds so that the hotspot data is shown as phone data. Using those workarounds I've used hotspots for years at around 300gb a month with no issues. This was from 2005 all the way up to 2019 since I never had home Internet during that time. Changing to a work from home job made me have to get home Internet since VPNs are sketchy over cell and the workarounds you may have to do bypass the data cap.

Even with the "unlimited data plan" if the cell tower you're connected to is overwhelmed then you will be throttled so if you're out in the middle of nowhere with most people using cell for Internet then that may be an issue.

You may be interested in the SpaceX satellite Internet that may come out this year. I know my parents are there are stuck with 2mb down/300kb up DSL but it's actually far less since they are so far out and they are constantly getting timeouts and AT&T charges like $80 or so to come out when they already know what the issue is....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2020-01-28, 17:13:
No one can say for sure since no one knows what your signal quality is and the providers lie. […]
Show full quote

No one can say for sure since no one knows what your signal quality is and the providers lie.

Best bet is to try it and see.

Once you've established that it works well or not for you then you need to worry about data caps.

If you have an "unlimited data plan" it's usually only unlimited on the phone itself not for tethering. There are workarounds so that the hotspot data is shown as phone data. Using those workarounds I've used hotspots for years at around 300gb a month with no issues. This was from 2005 all the way up to 2019 since I never had home Internet during that time. Changing to a work from home job made me have to get home Internet since VPNs are sketchy over cell and the workarounds you may have to do bypass the data cap.

Even with the "unlimited data plan" if the cell tower you're connected to is overwhelmed then you will be throttled so if you're out in the middle of nowhere with most people using cell for Internet then that may be an issue.

You may be interested in the SpaceX satellite Internet that may come out this year. I know my parents are there are stuck with 2mb down/300kb up DSL but it's actually far less since they are so far out and they are constantly getting timeouts and AT&T charges like $80 or so to come out when they already know what the issue is....

Thanks Dosfreak, yes I imagine they'll be some pain no matter what route I take but anything is better than having to lug my pc to work to get updates.
Regarding cost, I'm going to be ditching Directv so that'll free up some cash anyhow.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W