VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

During last months, I've been replacing some HDDs from some machines. That disks seemed corrupted, but...

- I've formatted them and tested (using SMART tests, victoria tests and f3read/f3write) without any failure.
- All of them shows no reallocated sectors, but high load/unload cycle count (between 800k and 1800k).
- At least one of them seems to "hang" from time to time, and takes some seconds to be ready.

I guess that the last one (the "lazy" one) should be recycled, but what about the others? Can be used anymore or should be recycled as well?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's luck of the draw, all of my HDD's are pulled from old work PC's some had an easy life, others 24/7. No real pattern which die first.
If they pass SMART then they are fine for retro PC's IMHO. Retro PC's dont get as much use as a daily driver and if/when it does go ok it's an inconvience to reload everything but it's not like you'll loose anything important, maybe a savegame but that's about it.

My 486 has a "lazy" drive for about 2 years now and is on my list of things to do but the total hours I manage to put onto that cant be more then 30 days anually it's still working fine after the drive wakes up.

Reply 3 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was thinking about using one of those to move data between systems, and another one to store Wii games. They won't be storing any important data, but...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 5, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had a drive that completely failed when trying to power on even though it had been running just fine for several years and nothing in S.M.A.R.T. would hint at a major mechanical fault about to happen. So if you're getting hangs and it's not the result of the filesystem driver, you really should attempt to clone the drive ASAP.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 5, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just preference, but I don't play around with unreliable drives. If it starts acting up, I replace it with something else. The biggest hassle, IMO, is taking the case apart and sourcing another drive -- not the loss of data. I like to run real hard drives, but that doesn't mean I trust them. I just use them as long as they're usable.

OTOH, I don't give much weight to SMART statistics. By the time SMART thinks there's something wrong with the drive, there's very obviously something wrong with the drive and I didn't need SMART to tell me. I'll check and see if there were logged errors, and glance at the tabular values for funsies, but I don't bet on them.