VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to comment about eBay sellers world wide.

USA
If you purchase used items from USA you never know what you are going to get and in most cases it is NOT good.
Ebay sellers in USA selling used item are usually broken , tempered with and often not working.
These are sellers that are not a business but just selling there personal items.
The items are NOT boxed correctly and poorly packaged.

UK
I have had good experience from computer components coming from UK.
Honest sellers.

Russia
Also good experience with honest sellers.

Europe
Also honest sellers. Good experience.

China
Good experience, Honest sellers.

So what is wrong with these USA sellers ?
Why are these people not Honest with the condition of there items ?
Why do they package poorly ?

Reply 1 of 9, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well you being in the US probably means that your sample size includes more US sellers, and sellers who ship internationally are probably more often than not the better ones.

I sure had my fair share of bad experiences in europe, bad packaging, dishonesty or just plain fraud, I've had it all.

Reply 2 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the USA the post office provided flat rate shipping boxes for FREE and you can buy bubble wrap and a bag of packing peanuts at the UPS store and extra Large boxes. So boxing items up correctly so they will not be damaged or broken during shipping is not that difficult.

I do wish Americans would be more honest in selling items.
If it is Broken than tell the truth.

Reply 3 of 9, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bough 2-3 times from Usa, since I live in Europe I prefer to buy inside EU, but I never had problems, sure I bought stuff like video cards or memory.
The only problem I had was with a fellow italian seller who sold a 3dfx card saying it was in pristine condition while it was damaged, he didn't cooperate but I got my money back thanks to paypal.

Reply 4 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-02-12, 19:02:

I bough 2-3 times from Usa, since I live in Europe I prefer to buy inside EU, but I never had problems, sure I bought stuff like video cards or memory.
The only problem I had was with a fellow italian seller who sold a 3dfx card saying it was in pristine condition while it was damaged, he didn't cooperate but I got my money back thanks to paypal.

Yes, I think the seller/buyers paypal agreement is different in USA as opposed to other nations.
In USA the seller is provided with insurance so they get paid no matter what. For a bad transaction or not.
And the buyers also don’t have to pay until they receive the item.

This is why it is important to use the eBay label which provideds tracking information too along with prof of shipping item.

If you don’t use this shipping label there is no prof of shipping or tracking information so the seller my never get paid because paypal does not know that the item was shipped.

Reply 5 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-02-12, 18:53:

In the USA the post office provided flat rate shipping boxes for FREE and you can buy bubble wrap and a bag of packing peanuts at the UPS store and extra Large boxes. So boxing items up correctly so they will not be damaged or broken during shipping is not that difficult.

I do wish Americans would be more honest in selling items.
If it is Broken than tell the truth.

Not all eBay sellers are bad at shipping. I have shipped hundreds of packages... probably closer to or over a thousand at this point and have never had a single item get damaged in shipping. Even had a couple different packages get shipped overseas and then come back to me unopened and they were still in just as good of shape as they were when I sent them.

I have received a good number of poorly packaged items and a couple scammy sellers.. not just in the USA, but from abroad as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those "free" flat rate boxes are not really "free" unless you are shipping heavy items. You pay a crazy amount to ship light items when using flat rate boxes.

Buying boxes and other packing supplies at any of the retail shipping stores is plain ingnorant. $19.99 for a small roll of bubble wrap... yeah right. I can buy 4x large rolls off of Amazon for less than $30.

Packing peanuts and box prices are the same. I am not going to pay some stupid high amount.. like $4 minimum for a small box when I can order shipping boxes from a local ULine reseller for around 50c per box.

Adding in the packing materials and shipping, I am generally under $6 shipping cost total for USPS first class mail (up to 15 ounces). If I were to buy boxes and other packing materials in a retail shipping store, I would be running close to $10 just for shipping supplies for a small package.

Above that to a not too heavy or large package, USPS priority is the way to go.

For larger and really heavy shipments, Fedex Ground is the cheapest.

Paying for shipping through eBay or Paypal is going to be the cheapest to ship things as you are getting either the online rate or eBay's negotiated rates. NEVER EVER pay retail shipping cost. It is a huge waste of money.

So what if you have to purchase a small electronic scale. The cheap ~$20 one I bought reads about 0.1 ounce different then the USPS scales read. It has paid for itself many times over.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tips for shipping.

1. When shipping, NEVER use those dumb clear plastic shipping pouches. If you do, you have a good chance of the package either not making it there because the pouch will get damaged or opened.

2. Package well enough so that your package can survive a fairly large drop without damaging the item you are shipping. Simply throwing in some bubbles, peanuts, or newspaper in the box is not good enough. The items being shipped should have enough packing to not move around at all. Do not use packing material that can smash down, especially for heavy items. Packing peanuts to fill space in addition to wrapping items in bubble-wrap is just fine for lighter packages.

3. Depending on the size of the box, there is a different amount of taping that needs to be done.
a. Small boxes - single line of tape for top and bottom of the box. Then on the bottom also run tape longways along the edge where the flaps are. (So you have a full line of tape holding the entire edges of the flaps down). Then run another line of tape across the side of the box where you folded over the tape so that the corners of the fold are held in place.
b. For large boxes, you also want to do the same as the small boxes on the top and also re-enforce the seam where it is on the one corner of the box.

4. Print your own shipping labels. I print on plain paper and then tape to the box with clear packing tape. 3 strips of tape with each strip slightly overlapping the previous strip of tape. On smaller boxes, the tape should go all the way across the box longways to also help hold the box closed. The 3 strips are in addition to the tape already holding the box closed.

5. Use a laser printer - inkjet printers are a waste of money.

6. You can print both the packing slip and shipping label on the same piece of paper. I print the packing slip in color and then put the paper back in the printer and print the shipping label in b/w. You just need to know what orientation the paper needs to be in for the shipping label to not print over the packing slip.

7. The tape I use is the super thin stuff that is available at Walmart in 4-pack rolls. No need whatsoever to spend extra money on the thicker tape unless you are shipping very, very, very heavy items. Even then, if you follow how I tape stuff up above in step 3, it is not even needed then.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-02-12, 19:19:
Yes, I think the seller/buyers paypal agreement is different in USA as opposed to other nations. In USA the seller is provided w […]
Show full quote
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-02-12, 19:02:

Yes, I think the seller/buyers paypal agreement is different in USA as opposed to other nations.
In USA the seller is provided with insurance so they get paid no matter what. For a bad transaction or not.

This is why it is important to use the eBay label which provideds tracking information too along with prof of shipping item.

If you don’t use this shipping label there is no prof of shipping or tracking information so the seller my never get paid because paypal does not know that the item was shipped.

What?!?!?!?!

That is not at all how it works.

Nope. Not how it works. If the item is not as described, damaged in shipping, etc. Then eBay/Paypal can take the money back from the seller if they do not take care of it themselves.
Packages that are damaged or lost in shipping are 100% the responsibility of the seller to take care of.

Have you actually bought anything off of eBay or any other online reseller? Not how it works. What place are you buying from that allows C.O.D (cash on delivery)

For new eBay sellers, Paypal can hold the payment for a certain amount of time, but the buyer has still already paid for the item. It is just that Paypal holds the payment to help keep Paypal from getting ripped off in the event of a scammer / fly by night seller.

This is why it is important to use the eBay label which provides tracking information too along with prof of shipping item.

While I ship via eBay/Paypal, this is not entirely true. You can be dumb and waste money by buying the shipping label at the retail store or through the respective carrier via their online portals.
Both eBay and Paypal have the ability to mark items as shipped and add the tracking number manually.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just think all USA eBay sellers should use NEW boxes and good packaging when shipping items.
We have the best services in the world so we should use the best packaging as it’s not too expensive either.

I have noticed that shipper do not like poorly packaged item and it seems like shippers intentionally abuse packages that are not
Packaged correctly or in official boxes or new boxes.

Maybe because shippers may tend to get injured or have to clean up poorly packaged items that break and spill on floor.

Americans owe some consideration and safety to our shippers. As they are providing us with there services and materials to correctly package items for shipping.

Reply 8 of 9, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I reuse shipping boxes, padding, and bubble wrap when I mail whole computer or computer parts. Granted I get in a ton of boxes from Ebay over the years and only keep the ones I think are good.

I don't really care what the package I get looks like (I don't like the smell of cigs) other then getting the product to me in 1 piece.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 9 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I reuse boxes when needed as well. Nothing wrong with reusing boxes or other packing materials if they are in good shape.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK