VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As you may or may not know. Silicon Valley was started in the Garage.
With Apple computers and Hewlett-Packard and many more.

The Garage is a Notorious place concocting all kinds of stuff.

From Music bands, garage weekend parties, etc....
It’s NOT just for the Car.

So i would like to see photo’s of what computer / music concoctions you have going on in your garage.
I do have a nice professional computer workbench in my garage but I have not been able to use it because I have too much stuff
In my garage. Some day I hope to clean it up. I have already reorganized it many times over. But stuff just keeps piling up.

Here is mine.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2020-02-18, 19:46. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More photos

Attachments

Reply 4 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2020-02-18, 20:09:

I don't keep computer components in my garage because it isn't environmentally controlled.

Yes, people who want to solder stuff together usually work outside or in the garage.
A well ventilated room. Unless you have the convenience of a well ventilated facility.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2020-02-18, 20:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 18, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's in your garage?

WHAT? Who's asking? What have you heard? I KNOW MY RIGHTS.

Mostly power tools, PA equipment, DMX lights, my lovely collection of Pearl Free-Floating snare drums that I don't ever get to bang on, bins of vaguely organized cables (VGA, DVI, USB, FW, Ethernet, Coax, RCA, HDMI, TS, TRS, XLR, power, IDE, SATA, SCSI...) It's a disaster area, but it's home.

I don't keep computer components in my garage because it isn't environmentally controlled.

Mine is, but it's a little like those open-air cold storage displays at the supermarket. It's... "temperature controlled". I can usually keep it above 60F in the winter. I do wood-working out there (building stuff), but mostly in the summer. In the winter, it's just a place to store bulk items.

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-02-18, 20:22:

Yes, people who want to solder stuff together usually work outside or in the garage.
A well ventilated room. Unless you have the convenience of a well ventilated facility.

Uh oh. Well, I guess I know how I'm gonna die. My work space is in a spare bedroom, along with my vintage PCs, vintage game consoles, vintage 90s synths... I left enough room to sit down in the middle though.

Reply 7 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What many of these Silicon Valley computer people had in common was that they were all looking for the “Perfect computer”.
An all-in-one computer that could do it all.

Hence my “iPad”.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2020-02-19, 14:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 18, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote on 2020-02-18, 21:13:

Mine is, but it's a little like those open-air cold storage displays at the supermarket. It's... "temperature controlled". I can usually keep it above 60F in the winter. I do wood-working out there (building stuff), but mostly in the summer. In the winter, it's just a place to store bulk items.

Yea I can't do that where I am. It gets up to 100F degrees in the summer, and sometimes down to -20F in the winter. Not good at all for storage, especially on BGA and fine BGA chip mounting.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 9 of 18, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-02-18, 21:23:
What all these Silicon Valley computer people had in common was that they were all looking for the “Perfect computer”. An all-in […]
Show full quote

What all these Silicon Valley computer people had in common was that they were all looking for the “Perfect computer”.

Hence my “iPad”.

What machines do you think are used to develop the software you use on your ipad? Other ipads?

Reply 10 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmarsh wrote on 2020-02-19, 01:37:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-02-18, 21:23:
What all these Silicon Valley computer people had in common was that they were all looking for the “Perfect computer”. An all-in […]
Show full quote

What all these Silicon Valley computer people had in common was that they were all looking for the “Perfect computer”.

Hence my “iPad”.

What machines do you think are used to develop the software you use on your ipad? Other ipads?

Steve Jobs breathed on the first iDevice, the firmware flashed itself, and a new age was born.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 18, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Newly renovated mine about a month ago. OK, not the walls or bench as those are from 1958, but put in industrial warehouse steel shelving, bought about $500 worth of plastic bins for everything 🤣, and put in new lighting. The empty spaces are where my 3x Pentium III towers go + a NEC ~140kHz CRT monitor (working on those at the moment).

Attachments

• 2019-12-01-16.39.54.jpg
    Filename
    2019-12-01-16.39.54.jpg
    File size
    601.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 2019-12-01-16.41.13.jpg
    Filename
    2019-12-01-16.41.13.jpg
    File size
    665.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 18, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also horde PVMs (though mine are not as nice as some of yours!). Except I don't have a garage, I instead live in a ~700sq ft apartment downtown in a city. My other not-in-current-use computer stuff is kinda spread out here and there (couple closets, and a couple small overflow piles here and there ...). Will have to collect it all together for a group shot, haha.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 15 of 18, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gered wrote on 2020-02-19, 11:12:

I also horde PVMs (though mine are not as nice as some of yours!). Except I don't have a garage, I instead live in a ~700sq ft apartment downtown in a city. My other not-in-current-use computer stuff is kinda spread out here and there (couple closets, and a couple small overflow piles here and there ...). Will have to collect it all together for a group shot, haha.

Those are just the ones that I'm not using at the moment 😉 Have a 32" Panasonic MultiFormat (240p, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and a bunch of PC resolutions actually - still need to test all it can do), multiformat BVM-D20, a PVM-20M4 I TATE in my den, and a couple native-480p Plasmas I game on.

imi wrote on 2020-02-19, 12:34:

and here I am with two PVMs that I still don't know how I even managed to get just these two ^^

Those took me ~3 years to collect, probably on Craigslist and other sites/apps 2-3 hours a day for that entire time searching them out. I think I cleaned up the entire NYC/Philly area because I've barely found any in a year (well, ones which aren't close to eBay prices at least).

gdjacobs wrote on 2020-02-19, 16:45:

Video switches by that tape deck?

Next to the S-VHS player are video scalers, transcoders and converters and such. The video 32input/32output matrix switcher is above the white iMac G4. All those are backups for my server rack with all my audio/visual stuff + consoles.

Reply 17 of 18, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I mean there are a few BVMs for sale here right now... in the range from €700 to €3000 so yeah... no, hence why they are still for sale ^^
I pretty much already asked all people I know in production environments and they made the switch away from CRTs ages ago, I really went into this too late.

my storage is very unorganized right now, gotta buy some shelving before I'm able to make it presentable ^^
glad to see someone else hoarding extron stuff though 😉

Reply 18 of 18, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-02-19, 20:38:

I mean there are a few BVMs for sale here right now... in the range from €700 to €3000 so yeah... no, hence why they are still for sale ^^
I pretty much already asked all people I know in production environments and they made the switch away from CRTs ages ago, I really went into this too late.

Yeah, I ended up grabbing most of mine in 2015, and even that was late to the game (I had a couple shipped to me actually as a result ... risky!). The JVC one I drove 5 hours round trip to pick it up (got it for a good price plus I got to test it out before forking over the money, so I'm happy). Also have a 20" Ikegami not pictured, but it's a rackmount model that I cannot really use in my setup that well, so I kinda want to get rid of it. Honestly, I need to downscale my collection. I also have 2 PC CRT monitors. Too much stuff, not enough space! If I had a garage, or basement, or attic or something then this might be less of a problem, but my small apartment only has so much room, haha.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT